Stay-at-home fathers in Australia..

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willair, 5th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

We are just organising work and bub, looks like I'll be doing 2 days while the wife works and she'll be doing 3 days while I work. One day we both work, having flexible day care is the problem as we don't do set days. Means some days one of us will be working for nothing (after taxes) as no rebate on the only care option available some times.

bob shovel likes this.
  2. Smuh5

Smuh5 Active Member

I love this. It will be great to see men being stay at home dads as more normalised.

3. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I don't think I could be a stay at home dad, full time. I think early learning centres (daycare) are invaluable.

On days someone needs to stay home (kids sick, no daycare on certain days), it's generally me though, and I love it.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You have to make your own work/life balance. Employers won't do it for you!
    Sounds like you have it worked out perfectly
    I'm hoping to get into the reading groups also. our canteen is only open once a month but i might be able help anyway.

How do you do the ethics classes? Do you run the teachers/schools notes?

5. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Canteen is well worth it - the kids are quite amusing! You inevitably get some kindy kids come up and dump a fistful of silver on the counter - "What can I buy with this...?"

In NSW the ethics programme is provided by Primary Ethics. The curriculum is all provided and is tightly scripted - this is because all of the curriculum is reviewed and approved by the board of education (and can be reviewed by parents), so no variation is allowed. We as ethics teachers are not permitted to provide our own interpretation or opinion, we just deliver the content and facilitate the group discussion - encouraging the kids to offer different opinions, but most importantly back the opinions up with a reason.

It is amazing to see the kids develop some serious critical thinking skills through the progression of the course. I highly recommend looking in to it, and if you have the time available, volunteer to be a teacher. There is a 2 day course to help get started, and the material provided is extremely thorough. Hearing the kids discuss the various topics is the highlight of my week!

cheers,
    Inertia.

LibGS likes this.