State of the Market - Tenants breaking leases

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by Shady, 3rd Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd share some intel from 'ground zero'.
    Some of you may know I own a commercial agency on Sydney's lower north shore and have a reasonable rent roll. Over the past 10 years I'd guesstimate we have 3 or 4 tenants a year advise they'd like to get out of their lease for one reason or another. They stay in the suite paying rent until we've found a replacement tenant and everyone's happy.

As of 4pm this afternoon I've just had my 4th tenant in 2 WEEKS advise they cant pay the rent and need to break the lease. 2 have handed back the keys and say 'keep the bond', one has said they'll pay the rent until we find a replacement and the fourth has offered 4 months rent. I've already had a few break leases leading up to now but another 4 in 2 weeks has never happened. For clarity there's 2 offices and 2 retail. I don't have much to do with Industrial properties. Also probably worth mentioning two of these tenants exercised 3 year options just six months ago
    I get the feeling the economy is in for a rough ride.

From my point of view commercial agents get paid when people move, growing or shrinking it doesn't really matter as long as they don't stay put.

Let' see how this plays out over the next 6 months.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Interesting feedback @Shady - in a few of the premier AAA buildings that I have dealings, there has been significant subletting action this has been both in the CBD & west CBD. I haven't seen the same occurring in the other capitals (Bris, Melb, Perth) but however I have noticed that leasing activity is still quite strong in these centres.

Shady likes this.
  3. wooster

wooster Well-Known Member

were the 2 just signed 3 year options the offices or the retails?

4. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Both were the offices. The retail had about 6 months left on their lease.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia