Starting out when you’re almost 50 and missed the boom

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by PurpleTurtle, 3rd Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

Agree that it’s never too late. Work out an achieveable goal and work backwards breaking down the steps to achieve it.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

No potato for @Pier1 (low carb) - unless potato salad.

The Y-man

3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

... potato salad likely contain egg?
    Chicken and cauliflower rice then

The Y-man likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Besides my first primary residence which I purchased at age 26. I started my property investment journey at age 41 and retired from day job at age 47.

Success has very little to do with age, but more to do with where you buy, what you buy and when you buy and you can also tweak it by becoming an active investor, rather than a passive investor

MTR:)

Ringo1, flyhere, Tahli and 2 others like this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Also, in some ways it is easier to start later as you tend to be earning less earlier in your career, compared to the peak earning period later on.

The Y-man

MTR likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I never really had any desire to be an investor in my 20s, 30s, just something that did not interest me.

In my forties I read a book by Jan Somers and got the bug.

Also if you enjoy property investing you can continue to grow you income you don't have to stop investing, you have choices. Just saying....

charttv likes this.
  7. PurpleTurtle

PurpleTurtle Well-Known Member

By active investor, do you mean subdividing, developing etc?

MTR likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes

Developing

Putting together DA and flipping, no build

buying in rising markets, volume, then selling some off, reducing debt etc

PurpleTurtle likes this.
  9. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

You're never too late to start, who knows where you'll end up. One things for sure though, If you DON'T START we can pretty much guarantee where you'll end up.

My suggestion.... you don't have any time up your sleeve to make mistakes so best bet is to pay for professional unbiased assistance. Educate yourself and learn and most of all make sure you don't procrastinate! Follow the advice of the professionals you employ.

Forget what the other 20 something muppets say, running a house hold with 2 kids is bloody expensive and I say you're doing well.

Oh...and put the idea of "one day maybe living in the property" out of your head, that's a sure fire way to stuff things up with emotion. Invest your money in something that makes the best financial sense, not a combination of reasons.

Best of Luck

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

as per your title, you missed the boom cycle.

What you actually missed since 2013 there have been not 1 but at least 3 boom cycles in 4 States,

Perth
    Sydney
    Melbourne
    Tassie

My point is its not too late to jump into the next boom cycle, however if you would like to increase your profits, look at investing Australia wide and chase booming cycles.
    Sometimes you can take profits from one booming cycle ie Melbourne and use profits to buy in another booming cycle.

Just imagine what can be achieved if you invest in 3 booming markets. Beats sitting and waiting for growth.

MTR:)

Last edited: 7th Jun, 2018
    flyhere and PurpleTurtle like this.
  11. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

You make sound like you did it all on your own.

No mention of a husband who may have been working full time which also made it happen.

MTR and ellejay like this.
  12. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Yes a hubby with a multi million dollar business may help to amplify results but I don't think MTR ever tried to hide this.

13. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Well there you go...

14. Ross 355

Ross 355 Well-Known Member

Nice advice....and for the record that quote was actually a quote bill Gates made.great quote and very true.

15. Ross 355

As many have said.you still have options.good luck with it all.

PurpleTurtle likes this.
  16. Ross 355

Very impressive.congratualtions.

flyhere and MTR like this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Lots of luck came into play, I knew nothing when I started, asked lots of silly questions on McKnights forum.

Also I used lo docs/no docs product that propelled my ability to continue buying, no need to provide evidence on wages....oh yes the good old days.
    What a huge advantage as long as you had equity there was no stopping, not like today

Ross 355 likes this.
  18. Ross 355

Yeah I understand times were different then and yes I think many people who I've know over the years that have become very successful have had luck on their way just like you mentioned but like they said to me and also just like you did.they put themselves out there in a position to capitalise on luck .It's all about the mind set I think.either way you achieved a hell of alot in a short time .It's great to see and awesome for others to see what can be done with the right attitude.well done.

MTR likes this.
  19. Tahli

Tahli Member

@PurpleTurtle Just coming at your question from a different, more personal, angle. I'm also in my 40's, 2 children, and live in your neck of the woods. As a solo mum, I however earn a fraction of what you do. I rent a modest house next to my preferred top rating school and invest regionally. Where will your children be going to secondary school as I appreciate this would come into play when choosing a possible PPOR? Tightening your belt and downsizing can be a great lesson for your kids. My son understands that we live modestly for a reason and loves to chat about how much our tenant pays us each week and that we're saving up so we can buy another IP. He's 6 btw and I hope I'm raising a budding property investor, or at the very least a little boy who will understand the value of money.

20. PurpleTurtle

PurpleTurtle Well-Known Member

We are in the Box Hill zone and most likely intend to stay here. We also benefit by being within an easy walk to the train and being a one car family. We are very comfortable with the idea of continuing to rent here and buying an IP in another area. That’s been our plan for a while. I’m just happy to consider other options if they make sense.

My kids are also quite excited by the idea that we could own a house that someone else will pay us to live in. Although I suspect it’s because they don;t yet understand that money will all go to the mortgage. I think they assume it just means more income.

Tahli likes this.