Starting my share journey

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by bythebay, 13th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. rizzle

rizzle Well-Known Member

Slight correction: It's the John C. Bogle school of investing! And supported for many decades by the likes of Buffett, Malkiel et al.

bythebay likes this.
  2. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Developed ex US expected return from this starting point is higher than US on valuation grounds. Binning ex US on on the basis of recent performance is not supported by theory or data. This is beyond the scope of this thread and I know you know it, but maybe some others might want to develop foundations before going straight to implementation.

TimeFlies, Anne11, blob2004 and 5 others like this.
  3. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

I continued to average into my chosen LICs and ETFs, however I near tripled the amount I would buy.
    I would also randomly buy individual companies I liked. Including a couple of small caps

bythebay and Redwing like this.
  4. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Interesting. So would this process fall foul somehow?:
    Purchase a stock (that you want to hold long term) in personal name just prior to going ex-div.
    Stock goes ex-div, price falls.
    Take the dividend as personal income.
    Transfer the stock to trust or SMSF at the lower ex-div price, and realise a capital loss.
    Offset dividend income with cap loss, but still retain stock via trust.
    Each purchase enjoy a one-time sugar hit of tax free loss-offset div income.

There's something wrong here, surely?

Last edited: 19th Jul, 2021
  5. tedjamvor

tedjamvor Well-Known Member

I think they were talking about transferring stock from personal name to trust during a stock market crash to get a large capital loss.

6. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

I just left the money in the Aust Shares and International Shares choice. I didn't worry about rebalancing.

Its just an offmarket transfer. Nothing special - its done often. It was just something I'd not heard of!

I just used the following form provided by comsec.
    https://www2.commsec.com.au/media/57745/offmarkettransfer_nonmarket.pdf

In essence, transfered the anz shares which had been bought at a higher price than they sank to in Covid and will be able to claim a capital loss against capital gains.

Yes, this is correct. Income is distributed to beneficiaries and can be adjusted each year to suit circumstances. Depending on the set up of the discretionary trust, beneficiaries can include parents, children, grandchildren etc.

I've received so much help from so many people over the years - both on ss and on here to. Wouldn't be where I am today without their input.

Kind regards

Jason.

Nodrog, apk and bythebay like this.
  7. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Just like some items that are ok to consume circa 5 -6 months after the expiry date, do you k ow if unopened Whey protein powder iz also ok to consume after expiry (its diary product)?

8. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

How is the journey going @bythebay?

9. DOSHman

DOSHman Well-Known Member

A great read. I would also like to know how OP is going. After a year of rate hikes I wonder if their outlook has changed

10. C3PO

C3PO Well-Known Member

I'm also interested to check in to see if people here still feel the same way about VAS, VGS and AFI.

We are late developers - have a good property & private business portfolio but looking to further diversify into equities. Conceptually ETFs suit us very well.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia