Start of the young people moving to small towns/coastal areas?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by jins13, 4th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Nobody wants to live next door to Kramer ! How far is any shop in Sydney that all are open till 10.

in need never = too lazy to go to the shop

2. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

Definitely the regional centre for the area. Town of 75,000 +.
    Next regional centre 2 hours north had one good private (friends who are closer to retirement age and had their child late have just relocated - they were waitlisted for a spot for a while for the high school).
    Inland there was one v good public (selective, male only), and some good private schools - but that was 4 and 4.5hours away.

My job put me in direct contact with people relocating from metro to regional - it was definitely an older skew, even for those still working. Younger tended to be regional to regional or remote/rural to regional.

HUGH72 likes this.
  3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I take a contrarian view here...
    I do not think this is a trend nor do I think an increasing number of youngsters will opt regional over city...primarily because of employment opps (especially those that are customer Facing) and entertainment options the CBD life offers.
    I suspect a large percentage of young people who have done the tree/sea change were driven by affordability rather than willingness.
    Yes technology does on some cases take distance out of the equation, but not to a significant enough degree to have a clear and meaningful impact on location migration trends. Internet tech has been around for a while now and no country has seen a migration of youngsters away from cities to regional solely because of such technologies -at least not yo any significant degree. In fact, cities are expected to grow..and the proportion of young people in the cities with it.

4. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

I have noticed in my work in a small coastal town of 2,000 that there has been a considerable increase of younger people/families (under 40) moving to the area. The majority have some sort of trade and do not find it hard to make a good living as we have a skills shortage. I was amazed when I moved here 4 years ago that there was such a vibrant and young demographic in town and this is only getting bigger. I could never go back to living in Sydney.

Toon likes this.
  5. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

You could probably get some ice though :p

dabbler likes this.
  6. johnmteliza

johnmteliza Well-Known Member

This is very popular in the Mornington Peninsula. First home buyers and young families are being attracted to the predominately wealthy retiree area. Its no wonder the Mornington Peninsula has recorded the 2nd strongest growth of any area in Australia this past financial year.

7. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Grew up in South Cronulla. After completing my HSC in 1978 I became restless and dissatisfied with the drain of city living. By the ripe old age of 22 I headed north with 2 prominent ideas firmly locked in.
    1. If at all possible to work for myself in my own business
    2. To buy at my first opportunity rather than rent.

So, I have been here in Yamba since 1982. Everything I could ever want is right here. Beautiful beaches, friendly people, cafes, restaurants, schools, medical services..... and the best bit, I can still walk the beach at times and be the only one on it!
    It all boils down to taking the leap.
    I have noticed over the last few years an increase in younger families moving into the area. Most I believe are tradies. Some are ex- Brisbane, some ex- Sydney.

Would I contemplate moving back to Sydney? Not for all the money in China! I don't even want to visit the place.

8. Ricki barkham

Ricki barkham Well-Known Member

All depends on why and what your looking for

9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Not going to happen. Vast vast majority of young people and families want to be close to where the action is.

10. johnmteliza

Fortunately it is already on the Mornington Peninsula. First home buyers are attracted to the area for the combination of lifestyle and affordability. They may even rent out their properties and rent something closer in the city like you said to be near the action. Growing families appear to be willing to take a longer commute for more affordability and a better lifestyle. Bigger blocks, houses, tennis courts and pools near the beach seems to be big drawcards. People are clearly selling out of Melbourne and buying something cheaper on the Mornington Peninsula to reduce their debt without sacrificing quality lifestyle. The outer south-east is also one of the few top performing regions in the Melbourne market for price growth. The area is also popular for investment due to rising property prices on the Mornington Peninsula itself. Additionally, infrastructure such as the Mordialloc Freeway is set to bring the area closer to Melbourne, making the commute a whole lot easier for residents.

11. Ricki barkham

Ricki barkham Well-Known Member

There is everything you need in a town iver 10000 people

12. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that a longer commute represents a better lifestyle. How many months of the year can you swim comfortably in the ocean? The water temperature is simply too cold, unless you are a surfer and wearing a really thick wetsuit!
    Affordability is the main attraction, lifestyle way less so.

Cimbom likes this.
  13. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Very true. However that is going to come at a very inflated price!
    Funny how people think only exciting things happen in cities.

Define action....

14. johnmteliza

I think buyers probably know that a shorter commute will be coming due to the new Mordialloc Freeway. Therefore, it is likely a good investment before the Mornington Peninsula becomes closer to Melbourne. You are right that the affordability has been a main attraction. The water temperature is cold in winter like everywhere else I agree. But thats why the Mornington Peninsula has some of the best wineries, hot springs and rural lifestyle in the country to enjoy in winter. The majority of properties have pools and tennis courts anyway so the water is simply a stunning bay view for some. Even if the cold water is a deterrent, the area is due to be a top investment in the wake of global warming!

TAJ likes this.
  15. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

No doubt there are some pluses for the area; however I have always found people try and justify their decisions by only focusing on the positives. The water temperature is not cold everywhere else. The BOM site says water temperature down in that region is 15-16 degrees. Northern NSW 21 degrees. Huge difference!
    Are you sure that the "Majority" of properties have pools and tennis courts? Would be very costly to heat those pools throughout winter, which is 9 months long! Haha!

Global warming....... Global what?

16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I'd love to move to a small coastal town :D
    Missing the "young" bit now :oops: (and the $$$'s o_O)

TAJ likes this.
  17. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Take the leap. You are never too old! Life's to short for regrets....

Stoffo likes this.
  18. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Am getting closer :rolleyes:
    Finding 3-5 acre's 2 min walk from the beach/cafe in a larger town (with a large hospital) is very expensive :eek:

19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Critical mass of 'life', other people, coffee shops, restaurants, movies, infrastructure, good schools, good hospitals, good unis, etc etc.

Not everyone values those things but most do, and that will never change. Otherwise the emigration rate from the major cities would be increasing exponentially.

Mike A likes this.
  20. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I have considered moving but would rather go overseas than to a regional town. They are still very overpriced for what you get