Entertainment & Music "Stare Into The Lights My Pretties" Doco about screen time

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by paulF, 20th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Absolute must watch doco.

"We live in a world of screens. The average adult spends the majority of their waking hours in front of some sort of screen or device. We're enthralled, we're addicted to these machines. How did we get here? Who benefits? What are the cumulative impacts on people, society and the environment? What may come next if this culture is left unchecked, to its end trajectory, and is that what we want? *Stare Into The Lights My Pretties* investigates these questions with an urge to return to the real physical world, to form a critical view of technological escalation driven by rapacious and pervasive corporate interest. Covering themes of addiction, privacy, surveillance, information manipulation, behaviour modification and social control, the film lays the foundations as to why we may feel like we're sleeprunning into some dystopian nightmare with the machines at the helm. Because we are, if we don't seriously avert our eyes to stop this culture from destroying what is left of the real world."

Redwing likes this.
  2. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I admit I'm addicted to my phone.
    I don't do social media, or chat or play games.
    If I don't have it around me I feel like a smoker without a cigarette.

No internet and I get headaches.

I'm online on property chat!!!!

As well as googling and reading stuff.

My knowledge has increased significantly due to screen presence

paulF likes this.
  3. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

@TMNT , your phone can be a two edged sword just like any other technology. It's what you make out of it at the end of the day.

I do social media due to family overseas... but don't have apps and have no problem leaving my phone untouched for days on end.

On the other hand and due to my job, i spend at least 14 hours a day on screen and the above doco cemented a few things that i have been experiencing and noticing ( short attention span, memorizing where to find things on the web instead of deep understanding them...) which i would like to work on and improve.

Also the social manipulation aspect of social sites/search engines is big concern to me too.

4. willy1111

willy1111 Well-Known Member

Does anyone see the irony?

Lets watch a screen to see our addiction to screens, lol

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

My phone is for phone calls and txt's - which means I have to be at my computer to actually "screen". Was a rule I made for myself early on and have never regretted as I watch parents ignoring their toddlers while they play on their phone.

Ted Varrick and wylie like this.
  6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

yep, im starting to have the attention span of a chicken,

soon ill be as dumb as a gold fish

7. House

House Well-Known Member

Newer iPhones have a Screen Time setting to show you how much you use your phone throughout the day and on what apps. Even how many time you pick your phone up and can set time limits for apps.

Quite a few didn’t realize just how much time they spend on social media so quite the eye opener.

Not sure how accurate it is though, my Most Used is Evernote but apparently I spent 24hrs on it yesterday!

paulF likes this.
  8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It's funny because I had lunch with a mate on Thursday and it didn't occur to me to look at my phone until I wanted to show her pictures of the landscaping at the build. It was great to have the photos in my pocket so I could share what we are doing.

I do spend a lot of time on screens and do enjoy putting down the screen to go for a walk or do manual work at a renovation or build site. Equally, it is good to have a screen there in case I run into trouble and need to google or youtube a solution.

paulF likes this.
  9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Facebook Has 50 Minutes of Your Time Each Day. It Wants More.

Fifty minutes.

That’s the average amount of time, the company said, that users spend each day on its Facebook, Instagram and Messenger platforms (and that’s not counting the popular messaging app WhatsApp).

Maybe that doesn’t sound like so much. But there are only 24 hours in a day, and the average person sleeps for 8.8 of them. That means more than one-sixteenth of the average user’s waking time is spent on Facebook.

The average time that users spend on Facebook is nearing an hour. That’s more than any other leisure activity surveyed by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, with the exception of watching television programs and movies (an average per day of 2.8 hours). It’s more time than people spend reading (19 minutes); participating in sports or exercise (17 minutes); or social events (four minutes). It’s almost as much time as people spend eating and drinking (1.07 hours).

“When you really think about it, 50 minutes is a tremendous amount of time — it’s huge,” said Ken Sena,

paulF likes this.
  10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I'd rather see youths with head down staring at a phone than staring through a car window looking for something to pinch.

Perthguy likes this.
  11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That might depend on whether the youth was driving a car at the time.

datto and TMNT like this.
  12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I spend far more time on property chat @Redwing. I don't check fb every day but would not spend more than 10 minutes. I spend hours on PC learning so much. I was learning a lot from another forum. When I stopped learning, I quit.

I love the resi property sections, commercial property sections and other asset classes on PC. So much to learn!

paulF and Redwing like this.