Standing seam wall cladding

Discussion in 'Development' started by Bunbury, 21st Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

I'm seeing more townhouse and apartment developments with standing seam wall and roof cladding in Melbourne. Originally I suspected use of the cladding was more about cost rather than style. I'm seeing it more and more in the inner and middle ring north and doubt myself on that one. I imagine the industrial look appeals to millennials and hipsters but I can't help but wonder how the standing seam will look as it ages and falls out of fashion. Is the cladding a trend people are noticing?

Has anyone used the cladding? I'm also curious about views about how the material might factor in the mind of purchasers now and in the future. If you are a developer, would you use it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I've used he Stria Standard 325mm in horizontal as well as Stria Wide 405mm from Scyon Cladding. My reasoning to go with it was basically it was a modem look, fit the target demographic and the look on other developments in the area worked well and sold well. Pricing was reasonable too if I recall.

I have also used their matrix cladding in the past, though the cost was not that cheap.

Personally I'm happy to go with whatever materials looks good and sells well for the target market.

Bunbury and wylie like this.
  3. Bunbury

This is sage advice Leo
    It's horses for courses. I think I'd favour something more like the matrix cladding despite the extra cost as I reckon it'll be a more enduring style and suit what I'm thinking of for a build and hold.

Sackie likes this.
  4. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

A rectangular building that is clad in just Stria looks a bit soulless in my opinion..

It needs a combination of cladding.. to give a bit of character/balance in texture of the claddings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wylie and Bunbury like this.
  5. Bunbury

Or a combination of brick and cladding. Brick downstairs.

vbplease likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@vbplease
    That place looks so familiar.... Is it one of those higher end homes on a 405sqm lot in Brissy..?

vbplease likes this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I like to use a combination of materials, mostly rendering, cladding and wood feature cladding, but that's what the markets I'm developing in generally want.

Bunbury likes this.
  8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Standing seam metal cladding is not cheap but not super expensive. It would be more expensive than most of the fibre cement cladding but less than the commercial ones like Alucabond.
    To get a similar look you could use Colorbon trimdeck but the ribs/seams are closer together. The one that I know of like the photo is Maxline 340 Maxline 340 Cladding | Revolution Roofing . I have it nominated for a roof that will then carry down one side of a building so it will be roof and some cladding.
    I think it will date well as roofing. As cladding probably less so but it depends on the style of dwelling and how much of it is used.
    The original photo is very shipping container like to me. I think in a different form - like this gabled one below it would age better

[​IMG]

9. vbplease

Just around the corner from my place.. 82 Jean Street, Grange, Qld 4051 - Property Details
    Not sure if you know of Kalka Leo? They subdivided this block and built two high spec homes.. From walking around Grange/Wilston/Windsor, I don't think I've seen any look as good as these ones (worth a drive by. 84 looks good too). So many 'hamptons' style homes popping up that are all painted white.. look a bit soulless imo.

Sackie likes this.
  10. vbplease

I agree, brick downstairs and Stria up top would look great.. although needs something else to break it up if it's a long elevation.

Bunbury likes this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd be worried about a few leaks and streaks on some of those. Cleaning windows and panels from rain/dust etc.

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@vbplease
    Ok now I remember, yes when I was doing some DD I was looking at that place. Yes I know Kalka, they like to use a lot of contrasting with darker and lighter colors as well as using a dash of wood here and there. I quite like their ideas.

Bunbury and vbplease like this.
  13. Bunbury

Yeah that is a good description of the place. Westminster, in terms of the pics you posted, I like the gables and that place is much more sleek. Even so I don't think I'd be brave enough to go with the Maxline or the standing seam style. For my context I think a brick, render and possibly a matrix cladding mix will be a safer selection.

14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It is a very very minimalist contemporary look.

For most of my projects I use brick, render/texture coat, Scyon Linea or Scyon Axon. I rarely use Matrix as it's more expensive compared to Linea/Axon but it has it's place in a more contemporary look.

Standing seam can give a bit more of an architectural look for just the roof - it also emulates a popular roofing profile for french/provincial style houses.

As cladding, for me, it should be an accent, with other cladding options to offer different colours and textured. Rarely does anything look good with only one option.

15. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Look at all these super expensive options.

I just use BHP Longline as a cladding.

[​IMG] images (3).jpg 18700417_1718661131482563_6769566034584700392_o.png.jpg

Bunbury likes this.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.