Stamp Duty for couple (one first home owner, one not)

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Greg Linforth, 20th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Greg Linforth

Greg Linforth New Member

Hi all

We are in Victoria and are intending to buy a primary residence below $750,000.
    I have owned property before (up until 2013) whereas my spouse has not.

Is there any opportunity to receive the stamp duty reduction if my spouse, as a first home owner, is the only person listed on the contract of sale and title? I am assuming authorities have this possibility covered.

We are currently a single income family with my spouse at home with the kids, so perhaps this would be a problem for financial institutions to see the sole listed person on the title as having no income.

Cheers
    Greg

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Doubt it, sorry.

Gov states that any person living in a relationship (married/defacto) with a person for more than a set period becomes unable to recieve the grant as they have benefited already....
    Or along those lines anyway

3. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

No can do - if you check out the requirements as Stoffo notes anyone with a spouse who has received the grant/owned a property already cannot access the benefits.

4. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

Yes, provided you did not live in the property you previously owned (or only for a brief period).

tobe likes this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The OP says you have owned property but doesn’t state whether you received the first home owners grant or not.

6. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Regardless of receiving fhog or not, if you or your partner have previously owned a ppor you aren't eligible for the stamp duty concession.

Note the stamp duty concession is diferent to the first home buyers grant.

One is a waiver of taxes the other is a cash grant only for fhb who are the first occupant of a new property.

Joynz likes this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Consider title in your partners name only. Joint loan? Maybe tax issues for both of you regarding a cgt exemption but it may still b 100% cgt exempt.