Stamp Duty Exemptions (TAS)

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by legallyblonde, 23rd Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I was told the other day that one can avoid stamp duty if property is purchased from family.. So like a good little legal eagle I jumped online and looked up the legislation! So looking at this I might be able to avoid stamp duty if I purchase from a sibling, parent, grandparent or partner. Shame it doesn't include vacant land. I am posting for your thoughts today as this seems overly generous, but I hear that the theory is to keep family properties, in the family.

Of course investing is not about avoiding duty! I just found this unbelievable interesting!

Duties Act 2001 (Tas)

53. Exemptions relating to various transactions

c) a transfer of dutiable property as specified in
    section 9(1)(i) or (j) but does not include land, made between persons who are relatives if the relative is –

(i) a child or grandchild; or

(ii) a parent or grandparent; or

(iii) a brother or sister; or

(iv) a spouse or caring partner; or

(v) a spouse or caring partner of a child, grandchild, brother or sister;

2. legallyblonde

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

But does not include land.

I havent looked it up but probably Land here means land with a house on it and vacant land

legallyblonde likes this.
  4. legallyblonde

From the definitions section:
    land includes a stratum;

I think I will email to ask about this... If land includes every type of property, what on earth is exempt?

EDIT: "Thank you for your email. It is anticipated that a response will be issued by this Office within the next 14 days. However, this Office is currently experiencing a higher than expected volume of queries, so response times may exceed the 14 days."

Last edited: 24th Feb, 2016
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

When you buy a 'property' you are actually buying land with the house being attached to the land.notice how they call sale contracts 'contracts for the sale of land'.

6. legallyblonde

I was aware of adding partners without stampduty... which may have biased my interpretation.

Fingers crossed the land title office can clarify.

7. Daniel Taborsky

Daniel Taborsky Well-Known Member

Under basic property law, things affixed to the land can become 'fixtures' which are part of the land. There is a significant grey area around whether something fixed to the land has become a 'fixture', so many of the duties acts expressly define 'land' to include anything fixed to the land (whether a 'fixture' at common law or not). Very common in a resource context. A house is clearly a fixture and so part of the land.

Section 53(c) looks like it is really concerned with the transfer of business assets (excluding land).

8. legallyblonde

Alas: Section 225 (which relates to intergenerational rural transfers).