Staging on the cheap - definitely worth it

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by KayTea, 12th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

When selling our PPoR recently, we knew we needed to remove a lot of our more personal items, and also stage rooms as more 'universally appealing' (eg. turn my daughter's home office/tv space back into a bedroom).

After looking into the cost of staging three small bedrooms as 'bedrooms' (ie. single bed, small desk/side table, a few cute decor pieces etc), I tried to go the second-hand route. But without a ute at our disposal, trying to coordinate getting each item from a different location delivered to our place wasn't going to be cost/time effective. I worked out it was cheaper to go to certain blue-and-yellow Swedish furniture chain and buy the items new, then on-sell or donate them to charity once we'd finally sold the place (rather than having to worry about the deadline of a staging contract).

Less than $800 got us 3 single beds (with mattresses), some lovely linen, child's desk and chair, and a number of home decor items. Now that we've sold, everything has been re-homed (so we've made some of our money back, or donated as-new items to local charities). It was definitely money well spent.

Ben20, niblet, Propin and 9 others like this.
  2. davewastech

davewastech Well-Known Member

How did you go about on-selling it? And how would I advertise it if I did this? ("ex-home open furniture"? or "ex display furniture" perhaps?)

3. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Any pics?

4. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I popped it all on Gumtree and FB Marketplace. As they were IKEA pieces, they weren't very expensive to begin with, and got at least two thirds of expenses back on most pieces.

davewastech, Tillie and Ben20 like this.