Staging an IP for sale – Hire vs DIY?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Satellite, 29th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Satellite

Satellite Member

Hi all,

We are intending to style and furnish our IP for sale, which is currently empty. We’re considering two options:
    • Use a home staging company to style and hire the furnishings for the sale period, or

• Style the property ourselves, purchase all items outright for this purpose, and try to sell them after the sale period.
    Just looking for some advice on which makes more sense, considering the cost, effort, and quality of results?

Cheers.

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

How good are you at styling?

A lot of the value is in the pictures and colour coordination. Unless you are good at this.... then you have to arrange to sell it afterwards.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Are you using an agent - they should have a number of companies which they regularly use for staging & could recommend.

4. Satellite

Satellite Member

We are using an agent, they have recommended a company. However, my parents (it's their IP) are leaning towards doing it themselves. They are in their 70s, live 25kms from the IP, and only have experience styling their own PPOR. The subject IP is an apartment close to the city which would appeal more towards younger buyers. Obviously I am a little concerned, however wanted to get some independent input to help them make the best decision from an economic / saleability perspective.

Edit: One of their arguments for DIY is that they are concerned about the cost of extended hiring if the property does not sell quickly.

Ryan Donnan likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Don't stage the whole unit if that is a concern.

What are you going to do with beds, linen, dummy tvs, models, tables, chairs, furniture, artwork, lifestyle items, accessories etc if you have to buy them?

6. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I brought a property that was upstaged. Before I brought it it had been staged for a month or so. The pictures gave me a good enough idea of what the place can look like.

Maybe stage for a month then reduce the number of rooms staged?

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The effort required to self stage is enormous. To do it without breaking the bank you are often sourcing via gumtree and picking up furniture here there and everywhere. Then carting it item by item into an apartment block (stairs??) is horrendous.
    Then you order all the pretty things from Kmart and get that delivered hopefully straight to apartment.
    The upside of professional stagers is that they are good putting in size appropriate furniture to make an apartment look bigger and appealing to the main demographic.
    I know one of the people on here self staged and the new owner offered to buy all their staging furniture so they never got to use it again but they also didn't have to worry about storing it between builds either.

wylie likes this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've done both. Back when we had two houses full of furniture (our house and my late parents' house). We bought beds, and resold (or kept them) after the sale went unconditional. I bought new bedding and then kept it.

We had enough couches and decorator items to do it, but it was a PITA taking it all over and setting it all up, and worse getting it all home.

I wouldn't do it again. Since then, we've paid professionals each time we've sold something. It is not expensive and usually after six weeks, the cost to extend (if needed) is much cheaper.

9. Satellite

Satellite Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated! :)

10. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I usually DIY, but I have generally too much optimism, energy and a huge love of interiors. I have also done it enough times now to determine what works for me:

- I always buy beds & mattresses new from ebay and get them delivered there (usually about $250-300 each total) and they can be easily sold afterwards
    - I get statement pieces from a wholesaler or somewhere like Matt Blatt/Freedom etc
    - I use my own plants/artworks/rugs/mirrors/styling nick knacks (these are important)
    - the rest (cushions, chairs, bedding, lamps etc) I fill in from Kmart or Target

Don't underestimate the volume of items needed or the amount of effort. I often get a labourer to help me with things like hanging pictures, assembly of furniture etc

As mentioned, the styling also needs to suit the demographic and property. Could you get a consultant to help your parents determine what is needed and what to buy?

EN710 likes this.
  11. SuzanneCommerford

SuzanneCommerford New Member

As a property stylist, I can tell you that after a day of property styling my body is killing me!! Another consideration is whether your parents are fit enough. Most things you buy will need flat packing, you have to get rid of the rubbish and more.

Styling decisions and getting the right stock together and all in the one place but its often the logistics and the leg work that are the killer.

If it were my parents in their 70s I'd recommend property styling especially with an inner urban apartment you do need to stand out in a competitive market.

The main thing to keep in mind is that as an investment property the styling is tax deductible (I am not accountant but I have many investor clients and this is all part of the selling costs).

Good Luck - Suzanne!

12. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

We jus did ours and paid a stylist. Doing it ourselves would have been way too much of a hassle.