Staging - Agent says don't bother?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by smokyjoe, 9th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. smokyjoe

smokyjoe Well-Known Member

Looking to put our PPOR in Pascoe Vale on the market. It's somewhat unique in that it's the original 3BR house on a subdivided block (3BR villa at back), and it's been very nicely renovated. Therefore it would compete against the plethora of 3BR townhouses in the area, but has a certain wow factor. Looking at a quoted price range of 650 - 700.

We've got reasonably nice furniture in most of the house, but it's severely lacking in soft furnishings (we only have 1 picture!).

We were thinking of:
    1. Getting a house stager to evaluate and provide soft furnishings etc. - looking around $1k
    2. Installing skylights (solatube type) to the kitchen/living area and hallway (it can be a bit dark). - Looking at around $500 (have one already in a box, and my father can install for free).

The agent said not to bother with either of these, and a few other cosmetic things we were going to do. He's suggested that first home buyers will be aggressively bidding for this place, and we don't need to do anything. I'm of the opinion that spending a couple of $k (particularly the skylights) might make a significant difference.

What do you think?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I agree the skylight is a great addition if you have a dark area.

As for the soft furnishings and decorator pieces... does it feel bare or empty now? Or just feel a bit minimalist?

For such a small outlay to make it seem more homely, what harm is there? You'll never know if it helped or not.

craigc likes this.
  3. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Definitely stage it at those costs. No home shows it's full potential without it, and most people can't visualise a house without it.

You may find the staging might be able to add light to the house with using colours teqniques to focus the attention away from those areas somehow, maybe some candles with a mirror to set the mood and lighten the area. Start with stager, then get skylight if needed.

Tim86, craigc, Chris Au and 2 others like this.
  4. LukeR

LukeR Well-Known Member

Seems like he is only thinking about his pocket

From what I have seen staging is worth every penny. Extra lighting makes a large difference too and will positively impact purchasers first impressions.

5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Definitely stage.

I wouldn't bother with the hallway, you can probably hide the fact that its dark with the correct use of lamps.

Don't worry about people turning the lamp/lights off to reveal how dark it is - Every time i go into an open home, i turn off the lights. However I've never seen anyone else do it. I think everyone looks at me and wonders "wtf is that guy doing, what a weirdo" lol

WattleIdo and Kat like this.
  6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

While the agent may have good intentions in saving your money (giving them benefit of the doubt here), it clearly makes me wonder how good they are as an agent to market your property for more.

If you walked into a 2nd hand car dealership and there was a nice and shiny vs a dull looking car, both of which had identical specs (except for the mechanics underneath which you can't tell unless you're mechanically inclined), which one would you go for and which one would you offer more money for.

Houses are no different in that respect.

Tim86, craigc, Perthguy and 2 others like this.
  7. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Depends on wear & tear, final price difference, (+ what's under the hood)
    ~250 for a full detail

8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I still remember years ago, my mate was trading in his red Mirage for a Corolla.

The red mirage had your "fully sick tyre rubbing scratched like hell 17" rims with your low profile rubbers" and the red paint work had turned pink on the bonnet and roof.
    Best offer we had was $25k for the Corolla less $3k trade in.

Said no, went to SuperCheapAuto and bought some cut/polish compound and with some elbow grease (some other poor sucker of a friend got that task) polished the whole car and brought it back to shiny red. Then we then put the original 14" VRX alloys back on.

Took it to another Toyota and got....
    Best offer we had was $25k for the Corolla less $7k trade in.
    Made "$4k" for a few hours work.
    After the deal was done, dealer said the car won't be ready yet, do you want to take the Mirage.... our reply "you hold onto it" because we knew it fade again if we took it back.

WestOz and Hodgo like this.
  9. Hodgo

Hodgo Well-Known Member

yip, I always stage or drastically clean anything before I sell it. It makes it more of an emotional purchase, someone can see themselves living there versus an empty/sparsely decorated place hence they will bid more or you'll get more offers.

We were trying to trade in our old Mitzi and was told they wouldn't give us anything for it but would take it off our hands for us, yeah thanks. I cleaned it up and sold it on gumtree for $6150, we bought it for $7K 3 years prior :cool:

WattleIdo and WestOz like this.
  10. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Yep, provided one matches that colored polish comes in handy for a quick impression, washes off pretty quick though.
    Same with degreaser on leaks, black spray wheel arches etc...

11. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Get a new agent and wait till July to sell if fhb are your target market.

Barny likes this.
  12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Listen to the agent. Often owners make style changes which they think look great but buyers dont like. They wont pay anymore for it and you will want your $$ back in a higher price if it comes to a discussion about price. This just makes the agents job harder and ends in your expectations being raises above what he considers will happen.

My sons is a agent and sees people selling to developers who all ask the same question - He reckons a developer doesnt care what the house looks like, they just want to estimate the cost to demo it and clear the site. ie does it contain asbestos ? But the owners all want to do a cosmetic clean up. He reckons they might as well leave their old furniture in the house as it will all end up in the back of a truck.

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think selling to a developer and selling to someone who is going to live in it are worlds apart. I'd not touch a thing if I was marketing to a developer.

But selling to the "live in it" market means you need them to fall in love with your property. Dark hallways cannot be lit with lamps like a living room can be.

If you can install a skylight for a reasonable price, and you already have the skylight kit, I'd do that for sure.

legallyblonde, Hodgo and luckyone like this.
  14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Skylights - definitely. They can make a huge difference.

Then go to a cheapie shop and buy half a dozen large white artist canvasses stretched over timber frames. Off to Spotlight and buy different fabrics to cover frames, staple gun to timber frame at the back. Instant wall art. While at spotlight, pick up half a dozen or so complementary cushions.

Then buy good quality bed coverings, pillow cases, towels and accessories.

Should be far less than $1K and you can take it all with you.
    Marg

Lizzie, legallyblonde, Player and 2 others like this.
  15. smokyjoe

smokyjoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice all. I think I'll put the skylights in, and maybe look at doing some more staging (either ourselves or via a company). I appreciate the tips.

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm with Marg - put in the skylights definitely - and you can pick up pieces to do the staging yourself for way under $1,000 from Spotlight, KMart and the Reject Shop style places. Some nice fluffy throw blankets - a few neutral-ish (don't go too bright) cushions - I've done wall art with cheap canvases and lengths of fabric before and they look pretty good - don't worry about linen as people aren't going to sleep in the bed.

Keep relatively neutral in your colours - single colour donna covers - plain but large rugs (I often buy two, ie the shag ones from Spotlight, and put them together - no personal photos on walls please - nothing but a fruit bowl and kettle on the kitchen benchtop

17. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Or, tell your agent that you are happy to do staging and skylights, and they can cap their % at $700k max (as estimated) anything above is due to your own efforts ;)
    FHBG is a qood point, but i would probably list now with a HIGH price, forthcoming sale/auction or EOI and guage interest, keeping the option of going to auction up your sleeve :cool:

18. puntersncollectors

puntersncollectors New Member

I think you should ignore the agent follow your own ideas 1 and 2 above and find a new agent.

19. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Do let us know.

20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

My parents did the paint and style thing in Adelaide last year. The stylist worked with their furniture and just got in what was missing. The place looked sensational after and sold at the first home open. Thread here.

Quick makeover for sale