St George

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Clive Palmer's Yacht, 7th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Clive Palmer's Yacht

Clive Palmer's Yacht Well-Known Member

Gave up on the idea of U Bank I had a few weeks ago..too inflexible for our situation.

As well as more flexibility, St George appears now to have attractive PPOR and investment offers via their Advantage package ...but I’d also heard all the majors are running weeks behind processing new apps, and most still use quite high floor rates (in the mid 5s) as well as do forensic review of living expenses.

Anyone had recent experience with them?

...Currently with ING for my existing PPOR debt, but they won’t do internal refinances so - notwithstanding they too now offer good rates, online capability, and decent redraw flexibility - am outta there when my existing fixed rates roll off shortly. I want to get back out to 30 year term while still not too old to preserve as much flex as I can!

2. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

St G is a killer to work with right now, them and Cba probably had the longest turn around times.

Westpac recently providing better under the table rates then St George.

Lower the LVR better the pricing

Last edited: 7th Mar, 2021
  3. Clive Palmer's Yacht

Thanks Tony, good to know. LVR about 50%, so hopefully ok...serviceability always tricky to be sure about when you have a couple of investments on IO (!)

4. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

If you service with ING then you should be fine with St George

5. Clive Palmer's Yacht

Yeah.. I did pre APRA and 2 investments ago..!

...but the main issue with ING is inability to refinance term back out to 30 years as an existing borrower. I am middle aged, so want to do this now in case it gets harder as I get older.

6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago, St G was one of my major bankers. Two of my I/O loans were nearing the end of their term.

I wanted to roll them over for another (third) five-year term. St G said No as they wanted me to go P&I (even though one of the loans offset was fully chocked).

I told St G that I would re-finance the loans as I/O with another bank. They wouldn’t budge.

So I took all of my loans over to another bank.

St G is now not even one of my minor banker. In fact, we have nil business with them.

MWI likes this.
  7. Clive Palmer's Yacht

Ahh the insanity of Responsible Lending. Regulators and Lenders coming together to ‘protect’ us from ourselves (!)

kierank likes this.
  8. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

At that LVR I would be looking at other lenders rather than St George

Clive Palmer's Yacht likes this.
  9. Clive Palmer's Yacht

Interesting..who would you be thinking of?

At our current stage, we’re focused on repaying PPOR debt during this current low interest rate period of the cycle, rather than recycling/leveraging back up into additional real estate investments. Cheapness combined with a bit of flex on things like redraw/offset are therefore the criteria.

10. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Do you currently have a mortgage broker?

11. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Sounds like an active debt recycling strategy MAY work for you and could do one helluva lot more to pay off a mortgage faster than just a lower rate per se

ta
    rolf

12. Clive Palmer's Yacht

Thanks Rolf, I agree there may be options for us beyond the ‘vanilla’ - and some untapped potential.

The balance here is my wife’s risk appetite ..and that our DTI is currently about 7x.

I would actually like to re-lever into some further investments (potentially diversifying away from direct resi property, e.g. LICs and such), but firstly reduce 1-2 turns of DTI through PPOR repayment whilst it’s ‘cheap’.

13. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

A well constructed DR strategy requires NIL additional borrowings.

Additional borrowings usually accelerates the process, but there is no need for that

ta
    rolf

14. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Don't get me started!!!!! I have deals from December that still haven't settled! Straight forward, sub 80% LVR refis........it's ridiculous.

Cheers

Jamie

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.