Squatters/Insurance

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by WestOz, 17th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Hi All, gotta a stressful one.

Got 2 units (duplex) empty at the mo, doing renos, all pretty much complete but waiting on cabinet maker to make/install kitchens, flooring guys are waiting for that, being this time of year unfortunately its not gunna happen till around mid Jan (hopefully).

Previous tenant had a tomcat, place stunk, being nothing of value inside I left all the windows open, doors unlocked, figured if anyone wanted to check it out for new appliances etc I'd rather they open the door than kick it in etc.

Unfortunately no ones been down there for a week, went down this morning to find old curtains I had stored in the shed up on the front lounge window of rear unit, other things didn't look right.
    Go inside (prepared for the worse), no one in there, all the lights/fans on, windows blocked out with newspaper etc, someones set themselves up in the lounge (makeshift bed, side table with books, candles, clothes, TV, stereo etc), similar in one of the bedrooms, bong, needles, what looks like stolen credit cards & mail etc scattered over the floor, toiletries in bathroom, clothes hanging on the line drying, even dragged the old stove back into the kitchen and rewired it.

Call the cops, no one in there so their not interested, I get a mate to come down, pile all their crap out on the drive, throw all the curtains etc in my car, pull the fusses from the power box, snap the tap handles off the water meters, lock the place up, leave.
    Strange they picked my place, 2 vacant units next door with all mod cons etc.

So now I'm stressing the what-if's, will they come back tonight, smash all the windows, doors, trash the place basically, or worse...
    And the insurance company (via ebm) is gunna say, sorry sir the place was vacant, under renos etc....

Thought about cameras/alarm but unlikely to get that done b4 chrissy etc, won't help me sleep well tonight.

Any advice/suggestions?

Ouga likes this.
  2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Dont stress, they will just move onto next place

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Just go and stay the night if you are really worried.

KayTea likes this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I think it can be vacant for 30 days? How many days has it been?
    I would go stay there (or pay someone to) for a couple of days to reset the clock - document this time.
    I've had a lot of squatter issues and it's hard to get rid of them, mine where not overly destructive but constantly breaking windows etc to get in and not exactly tidy.
    You can ask the local council for some help with security patrols.
    You will need to do a stat dec with police if you need their help stating who is allowed onsite and anyone can be arrested for trespass. You can get a neighbour to call the police if they see anyone that isn't supposed to be there

5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Been just over unfortunately, tradies haven't gone as planned, who would have thought.

Considered roughing it for the night (its just walls, doors & concrete floor at the mo) not on my own though, meth heads are unpredictable, prob would if I had a dog tho.

Wasn't aware of that, can't find anything re it on their website (Mandurah)

Unfortunately I have riff-raff behind, development on one side, empties next door, school across the road.

Gunna go for a drive-by now, will call the cops if anyone in there.

6. Westminster

At my council squatting was covered by their Health Department and once neighbours reported the squatting I had a legal obligation to secure the site and keep it secure. Which BTW was not easy.

The community policing team and the rangers helped doing drive bys when they could to see if anyone was there. About Our Rangers - City of Mandurah

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

@WestOz I have a squatter irregularly staying at my place in Cloverdale too. They haven't been inside though, just sleeping in the yard. They have not done any damage but obviously I don't want people in the yard. Cops and council don't care.

I think pulling the fuses will help a lot in your case

8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I can imagine.

All the stuff on the drive was gone, drove up it, couldn't see any activity through the windows, heart rate was pumping too hard to get out of the car, would have gone charging in 30yrs ago.

I know, its amazing hey, I understand it not being council responsibility, and cops can't be there all the time, have a heavy workload etc (not enough of them), but if cops made aware today of an issue you think they could do a drive-by tonight when nearby going from one point to another, flash a flood light etc.
    This would happen in a country town, was done for me when I lived in Busso.

Was talking to a mate today, having my ppor broken into twice in last 12mths with one repeat offender caught yet walked past two weeks later giving me the bird, it seems the punishments are too soft, judges prob instructed to where poss add extra probation etc, fines they can't pay, rather than further overflowing prisons, making the Libs mismanagement look even worse.
    No point locking them up tho if there's no rehabilitation, retraining etc so they have something to look forward to, somewhere to go when they get out.

Seems its all an attitude of letting the insurance Co's deal with it, in turn we deal with fear, loose treasured items, heirlooms etc, our premiums increase etc.

Perthguy likes this.
  9. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Be cautious re syringes, they leave-em anywhere, being in the yard they could be in the grass, thrown in the garden etc, scary stuff we shouldn't have to deal with.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. I have not seen any in the yard but I have not looked closely at where they are sleeping. I will have a proper look next time I am over

11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

So sorry to hear this @WestOz, I hope they don't come back. I reckon its best you stay there (with company).

KayTea likes this.
  12. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Gockie's right, ring up your two mates Smith and Wesson and see if they want to stay over with you for a few nights...

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Rüger and Adler might get jealous - invite them too for a boys sleepover.

14. Westminster

I'm sure I read or heard a story about a big kiwi bloke who would sit naked in places like this as security. One look at the bro sent any squatters packing

15. D3xx

D3xx Well-Known Member

Would the owner staying there a night reset the clock? Or would it have to be a tenant?

16. Westminster

Owner or tenant I believe, I wouldn't take my word for it and check the PDS or ring the Insurer

Perthguy likes this.
  17. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

It has to be someone actually living there. Just camping out for a night once a month probably would be difficult to prove and may cause problems if a claim arose.

And the policy usually states you have to notify if the property will be vacant for more than 30 days. My sister regularly travels for three months or longer, notifies the insurance company who note their records and has never had any issues.
    Marg

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.