Spying Landlord

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by larrylarry, 28th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

2. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

since you are going to be a landlord very soon….;)

3. larrylarry

It's better not to know what my tenants do in the house. LOL.

4. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I'm going to remove the cameras i installed in the bathroom of my ip. I don't want ACA chasing me down the street!

Tranquilo likes this.
  5. htopg

htopg Well-Known Member

6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

we recently had one who kept letting herself in the property to check up on the tenants - used key just went in and walked around. We warned her the first time that it is a breach of quiet enjoyment. She then let herself in again a second time, tenants were very upset and ended up leaving.
    We refused to put the property back on market for new tenants - gave her back her keys.
    My entire office was so glad to get rid of that one... phew!

Gockie, Esh and WattleIdo like this.
  7. larrylarry

@Xenia that's a good decision to let her go. Property investing is not for her.

Xenia likes this.
  8. Ben Chifley

Ben Chifley Well-Known Member

I had one that did the same thing - an elderly Greek landlord who loved his unannounced visits and informal inspections in the belief that "it's my house, I'll do what I please". He had already chased away one lot of perfectly good tenants and was doing the same to the new one; I had to tell him that the tenants were entitled to have 'quiet enjoyment' of the lease and that if he didn't stop he would probably succeed in ruining another tenancy. Unfortunately he didn't stop and when the tenants finally left from his harassment he insisted on doing the final inspection himself (that was my job!) so I ended up refunding the bond in full without doing an inspection.

You don't want the business of landlords who behave like that, they create just as much trouble as problematic tenants.

Xenia and Esh like this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

To Xenia and Ben - why didn't you take this further? The owner had no legal right to enter his own house without having given notice. Tenants probably had no idea they could have done more than leave. What could they have done? Who would they have reported this to if they chose to fight back for their rights? Just curious.

10. joel

joel Well-Known Member

I know of a landlord that just one day decided he's moving back in to his house.. while it was tenanted. He ended up living in the shed for a couple of years and the tenants accepted it as they didn't know their rights.

Esh likes this.
  11. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

Lol I hope he reduced the rent :p

12. joel

joel Well-Known Member

Not even! He kept raising it every 6 months regardless.

13. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

When we came to Australia, our landlord of a particular ethnicity, decided to pop over with his wife, children and parents (who were visiting from overseas). His wife, mother and kids took comfort in and sat in one of our bedrooms. The wife was introducing her kids to us as if they had landed from sky just then (like we weren't kids then!). The husband and father took a tour of the small unit. The agent accompanied them. It was the biggest violation of privacy. We didn't know our rights! But decided we will never ever be landlords like that!

Xenia likes this.
  14. mja

mja Well-Known Member

Wait, OP watched ACA in the first place?

WellnessWarrior likes this.
  15. WellnessWarrior

WellnessWarrior Member

Exactly. This is the real crime

16. larrylarry

I happened to watch it as the word "landlord" caught my eyes when my children were flipping channels. I think grimshaw should go. :) Anyway, I halted the flipping and watched it. I was pretty disturbed with the landlord's behaviour.

17. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Hi Wylie - tenants knew they could serve a breach notice and have tenancy truncated by tribunal order.

The same landlord also left a doormat at the house. She walked onto our office to give us the washing instructions for the door mat to give to the tenants, I told her that I don't want to hear about it and walked off leaving her there holding the sheet of instructions. The door mat was $11, at the end of the lease she tried to charge tenants $20 for having the door mat steam cleaned, $80 for theft of light globes as the bathroom one was blown and the one in the hallway was "replaced with one of lower voltage compromising visibility"

She then rang another agent who happened to know me well, when she started demanding about how things need to be done precisely her way the other agent rang me to get full story, she did not take on this landlord.

The house was very nice but landlord was a nightmare and no one needs this business. I would rather focus on doing an even better job for nice people.

Travelbug likes this.
  18. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

None of those charges were actually charged to the tenants but she did make a huge fuss about it. My gosh I could still hear her screaming now lol

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Just wants to keep an eye on things...