Springwood/ Winmalee, Blue Mountains NSW 2777

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jordan83, 29th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jordan83

Jordan83 Member

Hi everyone, newbie here. I have greatly benefitted from reading the information you all have shared here, so thank you very much.

We are planning to buy a PPOR in either Springwood, or in Winmalee, Blue Mountains NSW 2777. Looking for a 3 bedroom house for $650-$700K, with a decent backyard (we have a 7 month old child). The area attracts us because we would like to live close to nature if that makes sense.

For those of you who know the area well, do you have any suggestions on which side of Springwood we should focus on while looking for properties? Are there any streets particularly that we should avoid? Any housing commissions? Some people say southern side of the Springwood is more ‘desirable’ - but I am wondering why that’s the case. Any idea?

I also have a general question about buying properties in Blue Mountains. As you know this is a bushfire-prone area. Do you think it makes more sense to buy houses with established swimming pools? I wasn’t keen on swimming pools because of the space they take, but reflecting on the horrid bushfire we have just been through I am now thinking it might be a good idea to have a source of water ready to go. What are your thoughts?

Greatly appreciated.

Faithe likes this.
  2. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

I'm in the Blue mountains and there really isn't any 'bad' areas in Springwood/Winmalee. I would point out that Winmalee is a long way out from the highway and there is traffic in the afternoons (one road in and out). It also doesn't have a train line. By the time you drive out to Winmalee, you could be in Hazelbrook if you kept going up the mountain. For that reason alone, I prefer Faulconbridge/Woodford over Winmalee as they are more accessible and have the train line.

The south side of Springwood may be more 'desirable' as it is more historical - it has older houses with very established gardens etc and their prices reflect that. They're also closer to Springwood village so you can walk to the cafes etc. I find some south side properties very dark and damp. They are south of a mountain range peak and they get less sunlight depending on where they sit in the landscape. Be aware of that when looking.

I think the pool is really up to you. I personally wouldn't buy with a pool just for bushfire purposes. However, if you are concerned with bushfire, Winmalee is considered to be more prone to bushfires as it's in a natural fire path.

Some locals prefer Winmalee HS over Springwood HS as it has newer buildings and most kids wear the school uniform so school zones could be something to think about. Springwood HS does better academically (topped the mountains academically last year in the HSC results, including the private schools) but has older buildings. All the primary schools are good. Food for thought as your 7 month old will be heading off to school before you know it!

ndpjai, Faithe, C-mac and 1 other person like this.
  3. Rose89

Rose89 Well-Known Member

The pool is up to you, but Springwood has very large/nice indoor public pool/gym with kids areas ect that might work instead of your own :)

C-mac, Jordan83 and Propertunity like this.
  4. Jordan83

Jordan83 Member

Thank you so much Freyja, I am greatly appreciative of the time you have taken in responding to my questions, and also for the valuable tips/information you have shared as someone who lives locally. Thank you so much!

5. Jordan83

Jordan83 Member

Thanks Rose89, great to know that there is big public pool around :) I can now use the backyard for other things, for example, a garden :)

6. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Ahhh a dream of mine to relocate to the Blue Mountains. Good luck on your journey, I hope you find a wonderful home for your family :)

Jordan83 likes this.
  7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Real seasons

ta
    rolf

8. Jordan83

Jordan83 Member

Thank you for your kind words C-mac. Wishing you all the best as well :)

9. Faithe

Faithe New Member

Hi Jordan83,

Nice area Springwood & Winmalee, I grew up there as well, very community orientated.
    How are you going with your property search?

Last edited by a moderator: 7th May, 2020
  10. Jordan83

Jordan83 Member

Not a lot in the market at the moment to be honest. We are not in a rush, so will wait for the right property.