Spray or re-tile bathroom?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by miked, 24th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Our bathroom is all original, probably build late 60's early 70's. We would like to redo it, but we don't plan on living in this house forever, so don't want to spend too much.

Does anyone have experience with resurfacing tiles? Wondering if it is worthwhile with a bathroom this old, where some tiles will have to be replaced and the grout redone in some areas anyway.

How durable is the spray they use?

Getting a quote for the resurfacing on Saturday, so cost will play a big part - but if cost is similar between spraying and redoing the tiles, not sure which way to go! (Would be tiling myself)

On the tiling note, if we strip off the old tiles for new, do we also have to redo any waterproofing?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Waterproofing - yes needs to be done (properly).

If you take the tiles off the wall, you'll probably need to render the walls so they are smooth. Vs respray which is a 1-2 day job, you can get the bath done at the same time.

I have had baths resprayed - 15 yrs going strong. Tiles wouldn't be an issue. They usually replace the missing or drummy tiles so they aren't noticeable (@ first glance ).

After price, you need to consider how long each will take, do you have another bathroom to use etc.

Esh likes this.
  3. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Been looking at waterproofing kits such as the Dunlop one from bunnings. Do you know much about that type of product? Would you consider it is a good product if done properly?

4. Scott No Mates

I'd say go to a trade supplier like tradelink, tile supply company eg Beaumont Tiles or a waterproofing outlet eg waterproofing technologies for a trades quality material. It needs to be installed to the correct thickness with appropriate bond brakers or the membrane will tear with building movement.

Hodor likes this.
  5. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Scott, good to hear! Spraying seems the better option, really not interested in spending too much to fix this place up just to rent it out later on.

Do you know Scott if they can also fix tiles that are starting to fall off? Some on the edges are a bit loose.

I would be showering at work!

6. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Another option @miked would be to place acrylic sheeting or laminated glass (painted on the back) over the tiles, choice of colors/designs etc.

Are the tiles already laid @Hodor or do you have a leaking issue?
    If there's nothing wrong with the tiles, cracks etc, the silicon between wall & floor is in good order (can deteriorate), however there's still visible moisture/damage on the opposite side of the wall it likely hasn't been sealed properly, I'd recommend this product - http://www.bunnings.com.au/shower-plug-1l-sealant-_p1585233

7. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

It's my new place, haven't been inside yet. Tiles are falling off and some leaking in the en suite especially per b&p. Will be removing everything and redoing the entire bathroom one at a time. Never waterproofed before so it'll be an experience! Just trying to do some reading to get an idea of products and processes before starting

8. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

If it's purely cosmetic, check out White Knight Tile Paint. Have used in bathrooms - wall and floor - plus laundry. Great stuff. There's also a 2-pack shower base product, the name of which I cannot remember at this time, which brings up lovely a dated shower.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  9. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

10. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

image.jpg This is the waterproofing to use and also get some sikaflex and seal all internal and external corners of walls first and also where the floor meets the wall. Then do a couple of good coats with this waterproofing.

11. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

K10's for pre lay proofing yea?

12. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

@WestOz it is going to be a full reno, will re water proof will something like the k10 above.

Sorry for hyjacking the thread

13. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Yes it goes on before the tiles if that's what you mean.

14. Scott No Mates

They usually pull off drummy tiles and replace/reglue.

miked likes this.
  15. Andrew H

Andrew H Well-Known Member

have you used these before, i'm curious. What is the approx cost per sqm and where is a popular place to buy? do you have a link for these? thanks in advance

16. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I've not done a build or had a big enough issue on existing to require it but if I did would go that way, seen it in show homes, on reno shows etc.

Personally I'd go glass over acrylic/perspex due to scratching, its used with little support for screens so shouldn't be an issue against walls, no grout to clean or leak etc, you can paint, place a pic, whatever on the back of the glass to provide a nice look.

Glass to size would obviously come from a glassier, holes cut to suit taps, shower head, soap dish etc.
    I've seen acrylic at Masters however size would be an issue for existing, industrial areas will have business's that work with it for different reasons.

As for cost? guessing it would have to be cheaper than tiling + the bonus mentioned above.

17. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

I have just done 2 bathrooms with the rust-oleum product. Was meant to put pics up here last weekend but ran out of time before my holiday. I fly back Saturday so will be able to put up the before and afters on weekend.

Good product for a quick turn around.

18. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Is Rust-oleum basically a DIY resurfacing?

19. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Yep, its a 2pack process

miked likes this.
  20. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I've just discovered the shower in my reno is worse than initially thought, long story short I had another more affordable idea to my ~expensive glass/acrylic sheeting suggestion above.

Marine Plywood costs $49 for a 2400x1200x6mm sheet, whilst for my style I'll prob just light sand and clear coat you could use any color marine paint (what they use on boats).

This obviously covers any leaking grout, broken tiles etc, just have to seal the edges properly including any holes for taps, soap dish etc.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/plywood-marine-aa-grade-2440x1220x6mm-hardwood_p0320029

KayTea likes this.