Spotted Gum decking

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Harrison, 4th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Harrison

Harrison Active Member

Howdy Folks

I would like to oil the spotted gum we have used for decking.

Any recommendations on best products for using on this timber?

Also does anyone know how to remove the resin from the wood that has bled on our concrete pavers. They are vanilla in colour so very very obvious...;(

Cheers

2. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Check out Aquadeck (Cabots)
    You may need to use petrol for the resin. It can be fairly hard to remove.

Tom Rivera and yorkie like this.
  3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

When I owned a place which had decks, I used a product called Organoil. Got onto that product through a fella I knew who went from a degree in forestry to cabinet maker to timber merchant.

4. Harrison

Harrison Active Member

Thanks alot I'll check out

5. PJ1

PJ1 Well-Known Member

One thing i discovered the hard way was that some deck oil with the "natural " colour label actually tinted the oil which changed the colour of the timber. The deck looked like an overdone fake tan.
    I now use linseed oil which keeps the original look of the timber.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  6. Cadbury99

Cadbury99 Well-Known Member

F3BA0542-50AC-4CD8-ACF2-17F7A08F6A8E.jpeg Definately use natural oil, not cabots aquadeck.
    If you want the deck to “naturally” go grey then use an oil with no colouring but if you wish to retain the original colour, or something like it, then you will need to use a coloured oil. The colour acts as sunblock for the wood.

I find the best way the maintain a deck is to scrub it with Napisan ( or the cheaper woolies equivalent) to remove tanins and old oil. It sounds strange but it really works and is dead cheap. I’d also give it a go to see if it gets rid of the tanins on your pavers.
    Then coat with a natural oil.
    The best oil, IMO, is Cutek CD50. It’s a little hard to find and is quite expensive. However it comes is a variety of colours, and has 12 months between recoats. Most oils will need replacing every 6 months of so.
    If you’ve use a product like cabots aquadeck previously you will need to sand it off as its virtually i possible to get off any other way. Aquadeck looks ok the first time you apply it but after a few recoats it builds up and the deck ends up looking like crap.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I've no idea if it's true or not but when chatting with the person who suggested I use Organoil, I was told Aquadeck and similar products act like a clear paint. Yes, they are absorbed by the timber to some extent but also seal the top which over time builds up and will at some stage require sanding back. That can be a crap task.

The other thing recommended was to oil a manageable area, about 10 sqm at a time, and then buff it to remove excess oil. On that score don't do what I did once. Buffed it off with old towels which I stupidly tossed onto some pebble stones. A hot day too. Amazing how quickly it self-combusted.

The other thing was the type of applicator. I was heading for the lambswool but the bloke's wife shook her head saying too expensive. Get a squeegee mop with a number of replacement heads. She reckoned they were just as effective. It seemed to work for me.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

There is a product from Akzo-Nobel called Sikkens for exterior wood protection and has a high resistance to UV radiation and highly translucent finish and a coverage of around 14-16m2/L..
    I have used it several times ,it's not cheap but one of the best for Cedar and all the Australian hardwood timbers..imho
    Sikkens

If you want to remove the timber stain,caustic soda or a very weak mix of Hydrochloric Acid ,but be very carefull with both of those .imho..

9. Harrison

Harrison Active Member

Howdy folks
    Thanks everyone for adding advice.

After further reading on oiling a decking...

Is it necessary to sand the new deck? I thought I could just put some oil on it?

And there seems to be a difference of opinion with regard to oiling deck asap or leaving it to be weathered?

????

10. WallyB66

WallyB66 Well-Known Member

Hey

did u go with ur deck?

Looking thru the responses I'd def recommend something longer lasting that the basic oils which will need redoing 6 monthly or so. I've used some of the Sikkens, Flood Australia Spa'nDeck and the Intergrain products over the years with good results- last 2 yrs at least

11. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

@Harrison how did your deck go?

I am about to tackle ~75sqm of spotted gum (new).

What's the best prep/cleaner? builder recommended just using bleech at 10:1 and then using a deck oil.

@willair where do you get your sikkens? I have had good results with some of their other products. I am in the Shire, their website points to bunnings, they don't stock it

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Local paint shop

13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

14. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

In The Shire:

15. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

We're using aquadeck up here in Darwin...it's a bit sticky initially but does protect the deck really well.

16. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Really like the Spa N Deck product - we use it every 12m. Initially we scrubbed with Napisan to remove the excess natural oil. Now we just recoat with Spa N Deck annually

17. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

I have a new spotted Gum Deck and once cleaned I added Aqua Deck, mainly because the builders were still walking all over it with dirty boots.
    Once they are done it will be stripped down again and a product called New tech Organ or something will be applied.

18. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Intergrain natural

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.