Spotlight

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tim86, 20th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

While this is largely true, there is only one profession where denial and repression of fundamental sexual instinct is a condition of employment.

JenW, Tim86, kierank and 2 others like this.
  2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

In no way do I condone this sort of behaviour. It is vile and I believe the full force of the law should be brought upon the perpetrators. But, having said that, you need to realise that much of what is coming to light now, is stuff that was done a long time ago. If you take a look at the 70's & 80's, it was a completely different time to now. People weren't as enlightened as they are now. If a child reported that kind of stuff, they weren't believed. People took the word of someone of social standing (not just Catholic Priests, but anywhere really where there was access to children) because a Priest/Teacher/Coach etc, just wouldn't do that sort of thing.

The leaders of the Catholic Church, are generally quite old as well. A lot of their belief network would have been formed when they were much younger men and while I find it abhorrent that it was covered up, I don't find it that surprising.

Let us hope that society as a whole today, can make it much more difficult for perpetrators to do this and/or cover it up, because try as we might, this is something that won't ever be eliminated, but hopefully it can be drastically reduced.

Chilliblue likes this.
  3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

My Dad was Catholic. They told him that Mum had to convert and agree to bring us (future kiddies) up Catholic to have a Catholic wedding. He told them to jam it and never looked back. Thanks Dad!

Musicbemyfriend and kierank like this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

As Skater just said, these things mostly happened in the 70s and 80s. The priests and others committing the offences were probably brought up within orphanages and were likely victimised themselves. The further back you go, the more this institutionalised crime was normalised. Remember the British children (orphans) who arrived in Australia during/just after WW2? Staff raping patients in Mental hospitals and homes for the disabled was the norm when I was younger - if I heard about it, surely everyone else did. One reason why these places have been closed down - too difficult to operate.

5. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

My points
    (1) catholic church was worse than all other organizations because they systematically covered up abuse all around the world hundreds if not thousands of times.
    (2) religious institutions are responsible for most abuse. As demonstrated by the findings of the royal commission.
    (3) this is all still very relevent and is not "old news" because of the nature of abuse reports, as abuse is usually reported 20 or 30 years after it happens.
    (4) for these reasons I believe the church still has a lot to answer for, and excuses like "it happened ages ago", or "others are doing it too", just dont cut it.
    (5) the church facilitated abuse worse than any organization in history. Yet people still send their kids there. If any non religious organization did the same then it would mean the end of that organisation. Imagine if it turned out that Macdonalds was an organized pedophile ring. Where management built all those playgrounds to give pedophiles an opportunity to abuse kids and then covered up all the abuse and management were also doing the abusing. And they did this thousands of times all around the world. Would there still be a Macdonalds tomorrow? Why is the church not held to the same standard?

Ambit, sanj, wylie and 2 others like this.
  6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

And I would say some pedo priests went into it knowing that it was a pedo ring, or at the least there is that element within it, and the people in charge tolerate it.
    And imagine the number that haven't reported it.

Tim86 likes this.
  7. geoffw

That would apply to other areas as well, not just the catholic church. Otherwise where would protestant and atheist paedophiles go?

8. geoffw

My look at a recent book may be relevant to this thread
    In God's House: A Novel About the Greatest Scandal of Our Time

I just saw the movie yesterday. It was very good.

I have previously said that celibacy is probably a big contributor to paedophilia by priests. It seems, in subsequent reading, that this is probably not the case. Rather, celibacy enforces a standard that must be seen by the true believers to be true. So when it is broken, there is a much stronger motivation to hide it. This applies to any sexual activity- and there was something in the film where somebody said that perhaps 50% of priests were sexually active. A quick Google shows similar numbers, although some of these are hardly from unbiased sources.

It does seem though that the Catholic church is not the only institution where abuse of minors occur. The royal commission investigating Cardinal Pell was more recently looking at abuse by sports coaches. Victims of cricket coach sexual abuse thought they would not be believed, royal commission told - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

And it has happened in prestigious schools
    Prestigious private schools face multi-million dollar lawsuits from alleged abuse victims - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) - where it was covered up in a way similar to the catholic church.

It has happened in the Anglican church. Former governor general Peter Hollingworth had to resign after it was found that he covered up sexual abuse.

And of course there have been high profile incidents in the entertainment industry, in Australia, the US and UK.

I'm not a catholic. I'm not trying to defend it. People within the church have done some horrible things. And they have gone to extreme lengths to try to cover up wrongdoings- but worse, quietly moved the offender to another location where they could offend again, which is the worst part.

The reading I've done appears to indicate that paedophilia occurs just as much in other places as in the catholic church. Offenders are likely to seek out professions where they can find victims, such as the priesthood, teaching, sports coaching and entertainment.

The big sin is failing to stop it when it happens.

HUGH72, Tim86 and wylie like this.
  9. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Good post. And I agree. It seems though that the Catholic church is the biggest sinner when it comes to failing to stop it.

10. geoffw

Spotlight is now on Netflix.

Tim86 likes this.
  11. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

It was not only the Churches , Police and politicians in the 1970's, 80's and 90's too especially in kings cross

I remember a club called Costello's , the former Mayor of Wollongong frequented back in the 80's.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.