Spotlight

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tim86, 20th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'm glad i had red hair and not that good looking when i was a Catholic alter boy after watching that movie a while back,and when you look at the numbers at the end of the movie and locations,and not only the Catholics but from Hillsong down they all carry baggage at different levels..

2. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

of course everyone shouldn't be tarred with the same brush. the main issue is see and why the Catholic Church cops so much deserved heat is that it comes from the top.

you have people like George Pell who either through malicious intent,inaction or plain incompetence facilitated so many cases of pedophilia through cover ups etc. what did the church do? first promote him to the head of the church in australia and then promote him further to apparently the 3rd or 4th most influential position in the Catholic Church worldwide.

with the recent enquiries, did the church push for him to fly out and appear in person? no.

this is a man who admits to doing absolutely nothing when being told about molestation of kids, apart from telling the school chaplain. no folow up done, no talking to the cops, no speaking to the kids, nothing. how many more lives were ruined just from that?

so yes, while I agree with you that there are indeed many good people out there who are Catholic, they Catholic Church in its current form is a disgusting entity that's rotten right at the top.

wylie, Tim86 and Azazel like this.
  3. sanj

absolutely, but it is arguably occurring at a higher rate in the catholic church than the other organisations you listed and it's covered up by those at the very top.

havent seen evidence of the same behaviour, at least to this extent, in schools, child cares etc.

of course it's a problem in society, a scary and disgusting one. that's what makes its systemic cover up over decades horrifying and unforgivable

wylie likes this.
  4. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Yep, this is why my kids were never baptised. **** them.

5. Patamea

Patamea Well-Known Member

Agree - those that cover up should be held to the same account as the people they are covering for and sit in the gaol cell with them

6. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Certainly not 6% of all teachers and the school definitely doesnt protect the pedophiles

7. sanj

If the teachers were moved around by the school board to cover up their actions and then went on to continue to abuse kids; if the people who organised the cover up ended up being say minister for education and if it is as systemic like in the catholic church then your analogy woulD have merit. as it stands I don't see it being the case

Tim86 likes this.
  8. sanj

scary stuff. more than 130 victims have come forward, imagine how many haven't and the church knew he was a paedophile and was abusing boys back in the early 80s. only in 1998 did they kick him out of the church.

think about it. just think about it. imagine knowing someone was abusing boys, some as young as 4 and instead of reporting him to the cops or going out to the community to see if there were any other victims, for nearly 20 years they moved him around and continued to facilitate his abuse.

call themselves men of God, what a joke. I'd be pretty angry if i was a devout Christian, im not religious but jesus did seem to have some good teachings. the catholic church effectively spits on his grave everyday with their behavioir

JenW, jim1964 and Bran like this.
  9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Children's entertainment must have a very high percentage of offenders. Higher than 6% by all appearances.

Chilliblue likes this.
  10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Unless it's a catholic school of course.

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You're taking the mick!

12. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

The world really needs to break this religion habit it has.
    FB_IMG_1452822015419.jpg

samiam, HUGH72, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  13. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Knox Grammar School was home to 'large paedophile cohort'. A paedophile teacher received a glowing reference from Knox Grammar School praising his teaching skills, despite having indecently assaulted one student and physically assaulted two others, a royal commission has heard.

14. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

A 6% rate for paedophile priests means 25 000 paedophiles priests in the church at any given time.

15. Chilliblue

And using your figures and thought process, with over 300,000 registered working teachers in Australia alone, they are a similar risk.

16. Chilliblue

Taking your thought processes, then the number of registered working teachers in Australia would be the same risk. Condemn the act and not tar the profession.

BigKahuna likes this.
  17. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately reality doesnt match up with your agenda:

"Of the 1426 private sessions conducted by the Royal Commission in the past year, 62 per cent of people were sexually assaulted in a faith-based institution – 25 per cent in religious residential and day schools; 20 per cent in faith-based welfare institutions and 17 per cent in other religious institutions.

Those abused in a school setting totalled 35 per cent – 26 per cent in day schools, the majority of which were religious schools, and nearly 9 per cent in a residential school - while 30 per cent were abused in welfare institutions, including orphanages, children’s homes and residential facilities. The majority of these welfare institutions were faith-based institutions" Royal Commission statistics reveal 90% of victims are aged 40 +

18. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

My mother (87 this month) converted to Catholicism prior to getting married in 1954 as Dad was a Catholic and Catholics couldn't marry non-Catholics. Supposedly, Catholicism was "THE religion and the only one accepted by God".

I was sent to a Catholic boarding school. I won't detail what I saw and heard going on. When I told Mum and Dad, they wouldn't/couldn't believe me.

Dad has passed on. To Mum's credit, she no longer goes to a Catholic Church. She is absolutely disgusted with what priests (men of God) did to children. She feels so hurt and deceived by her conversion to Catholicism.

JenW, willair and Tim86 like this.
  19. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Such a betrayal of trust. Makes your blood boil doesnt it.

kierank likes this.
  20. Chilliblue

No agenda. I just don't like people who fixate themselves on a belief that the majority of paedophiles are Catholic when in fact they cover all religions, most employment types and can be the people that you least suspect. Even worse, they may be a family member.