Splitting LOCs - Interest deductions?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Phase2, 26th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Question. I've read through @Terry_w 's tips but can't find my answer (I might have just missed it though).

If I have a $100k LOC with $50k drawn for non-investing reasons, and I get the bank to split it into LOC A) - fully drawn at $50k
    LOC B) - $0 drawn, $50k available

can I use LOC B) for investing and claim 100% of the interest on the drawn amount in LOC B)?

I remember reading somewhere that the ATO considers a LOC to be "refinanced" each month, so I presume that this could work?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes, depending on the circumstances.

3. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Great! Thanks @Terry_w . I thought this might be the case (another benefit of LOC vs Loan w/offset?). I need tax planning advice on some other issues as well, but it's good to have an idea and it means I can possibly start 'shopping' earlier than I planned! :)

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Good advice Terry.:eek: What was the investment ? Income or capital ? Bad offset ? Credited to a savings account ?

I dont recommend taking posts as client advice Phase 2. There are more issues than you expect in a post to a forum. You didnt expect a definitive answer that you can rely on ? Terrys "depending" answer said it all. Depending what you invest it and how the funds where settled by the bank it could well be non-deductible.

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

That's why I added a 'depending'.

If the loan is a LOC and the borrowings are to invest in income producing shares and there are no detours then the interest will be deductible - assuming no foreign elements!

Paul@PAS likes this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.