Splitting house into 2 units

Discussion in 'Development' started by splatters, 2nd Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. splatters

splatters Well-Known Member

hi brains-trust
    we have purchased a 4BR house where upstairs is a large 3BR house, and downstairs is an entirely separate 1BR garage conversion with a bathroom and kitchenette. the 2 areas have separate access and there is no internal staircase linking them. there is adequate parking to make this 2 units. does anyone know what exactly is required to be in a position to rent them out separately? there is no need to separate titles or form a strata.
    thanks for any thoughts or experience from those who have done this.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Building code of Australia compliance & a DA allowing attached dual occupancy.

Anthony416, splatters and Sackie like this.
  3. SamK

SamK Active Member

I would get a lease area plan done, the two may appear completely separate to you but not be clear to the people renting. Might not need a surveyor if you take some time to do it, but would definitely want something on the rental agreement defining the specific yard, parking areas etc.
    Have had parking issues previously, I did not know that the school bus driver in the granny flat brought the school bus home:)

4. splatters

Great tip thanks. We had planned to fence off an area for a courtyard for the 1BR plus have allocated parking.

5. RenegadeDom

RenegadeDom Well-Known Member

Biggest issue will be around ensuring the existing slab between the two units is fire rated as the building now becomes a Class 2 building not a Class 1 under BCA. If it is a converted garage the ceiling height may not be 2400, another thing to be aware of.

6. splatters

the ceiling height seems to be fine. not sure re the slab. i will need in touch with the council to have an assessment done i believe.

7. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

@Pat the location is also relevant. For example, in certain QLD council areas the second dwelling may constitute an auxiliary dwelling which makes things easy for you.

8. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Normally the converted garage will have to meet the ceiling height which seems OK in your case. Often the garage slabs did not have a waterproof membrane and that can be an issue when a garage is converted to a habitable room.

9. splatters

i've asked the conveyancer to request all the details from council. the agent claims it is all council approved but i have my doubts. would be awesome if it already is.

10. Scott No Mates

What about pipes, separation of services (power, gas, water, phone) and plenty of other considerations.

11. splatters

There are many houses in Hobart that have done exactly this, splitting existing houses into 2 or 3 flats, so I'm hoping that the council will be able to tell me. Otherwise we'll work out proportional costs of water and electricity. Or include them in the rent.

12. Scott No Mates

In NSW (don't know about other states) it must be separate meters or included, nothing in between. It's only chargeable if your property is water efficient.

13. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

I dont think water needs a separate meter just electricity as the private certifier doesnt usually ask for proof of a seperate water meter unless if it is a newly built place.