Split System Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by albanga, 24th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Hello PC family,
    I have a dilemma and need some expert advice. I am currently constructing my PPOR and originally due to the sloping block it was being built on piers. After a recent design change I ended up lowering the house and putting the entire thing on a slab (it gave me about 20sq more backyard).

During the drafting redesign they failed to pick up the fact I had a reverse cycle ducted system that went under the house. As a result the new design does not have the roof space to accommodate the system.
    I also have 3 meter high ceilings on ground floor and they said even if I could get ducted I would lose maybe 100-200 in space which is not something I am really keen to do either.

So they have basically said your only option is split systems.

I would prefer the ducted but I am not adverse to splitties. Our actual biggest concern wit splits is the look! We are building a stunning Hamptons inspired home and the initial draft shows 6 splitties (1 in each bedroom, 2 in living/dining and 1 in rumpus).

So was keen to get others thoughts. Is their another option my builder and his cooling/heating guys have missed? Or is their an option with splitties these days that don't look bad.

It's too late for slab heating and also don't want bulk heads.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: 24th Mar, 2017
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Get a good AC installer or three to discuss options. These days there are also ducted split systems and multi head ssplits as well as inverters and a bunch of ideas that improve efficiency that dont use bulkheads and the outside units are small and discrete for noise and operation. These arent the same as stand alone splits. You may have been quoted a ducted split ?? The limitation for efficiency is the pipe length between inside and the outside.

There are also a few brands that have made internal split unit very discrete and number of head units can be flexible...Just watch for HP size of each head. Generally they can be small and suit only a small area. Multi Head Split System Air Conditioners - Mitsubishi Electric Australia

The cost efficiency of ducted splits may pay for itself. You wont be AC in rooms that nobody is using and people can tailor temp to their area and use. Just watch for doors that have a strong seal. You can end up with pressure differentials - You dont want louvered vents in doors. A small gap at floor would suffice.

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Have a look at the way you could span the internal with spiral exposed ductwork with the 3 meter high ceilings you could run the spiral right into the top of the grid and run the whole system off one main unit rather then back too back splits which won't look too good where ever they are set..imho..

4. Matthew D

Matthew D Well-Known Member

I know the situation you're in @albanga .

There are three type of systems available to you.
    1. Ducted system (but as you stated, if there's not enough roof space to install the fancoil unit in the ceiling then this option can be forgotten about. I would strongly recommend you get a site inspection from a reputable AC installation company in the area to see if it would be possible before ruling this option out though).
    2. Individual split system (as mentioned)
    3. Multi split system - depending on the layout of your house, you could get a multi split system with 3 indoor units to cover 3 bedrooms. This way, there will only be one outdoor unit which means you won't see outdoor units hanging outside of each bedroom, which is not aesthetically appealing. AND if you have an open floorplan for the kitchen/dining, i would get one individual split system to cover the whole area. (once again this is depending on the floor plan). PLUS if necessary, individual split for the rumpus.

If your builders AC techs have already ruled out the ducted system, then i would go with there recommendation, unless you want to get your own AC tech out to verify if the ducted system installation will be possible.

If you decide to choose the split system option, personally, the 'nicest' indoor units would be the Daikin Cora series or the Panasonic CSZRKR range. Apart from Daikin & Panasonic, the other reliable brands i would recommend is Fujitsu, Mitsubishi Electric and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.
    Fujitsu have a 'designer range' split system but only available in systems 2.5kw - 5kw. So if you were to get a bigger unit for the Dining/Living/Rumpus, it would have to be from their 'classic range' which looks a lot more bulkier.

Cheers & Good Luck on the build!

5. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

Sorry, no help with the aircon dilemma but would love to see your Hamptons house/design if you care to share :)

6. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

There are plenty of options even with multi split systems. Can you post a sketch of your floor plan?

Being a Hampton style design I'd have thought there'd be plenty of space in the roof for ducted as they tend to have highish pitches. The evap unit doesn't have to be in the same space as the intake grill.

Perthguy likes this.
  7. albanga

Hey All,
    Thanks for the great feedback!
    I just returned from holidays and will pick this up again now. I spoke to my builder yesterday and he is happy for me to source my own option as well as him getting a quote from his guys.

Can anyone recommend any great professionals in Melbourne?

8. albanga

So got the quotes back today for the split systems and was shocked to see they are going to cost exactly the same as the awesome Daiken inverter system I originally was planning to get!

So now I am stuck with a system I never originally wanted but I could of wore it if it saved me atleast a few thousand dollars but no!!

Quite annoyed at the entire situation.

9. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Split conventionally means high wall split. But there are many other internal unit options. Bulkhead (small ducted), ceiling cassette, wall etc.

You almost certainly can have a ducted look upstairs. Downstairs you probably can also but may need to be creative with small well placed bulkhead. Depends in clearances

The daikin inverter vrv (single pipe multisplit) systems are just as high end as ducted.