VIC Split System A/C...is actually heater.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by alwayslearning2, 17th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. alwayslearning2

alwayslearning2 Active Member

Hi Guys,

Have had a weird one as a renter, curious if anyone has come across this before. I'm sure I'll chuckle about it when its resolved...

The property advertised as having a split system, unit on wall looks like a split system & I confirmed with agent before signing that the A/c would be covered for maintenance etc under the agreement. I'm paying what I think is fair rent for an air conditioned place.

I move in. I go to switch A/c and notice its not cooling. On closer inspection I discover its not connected to anything and can be lifted off wall. I then notice sticker on top which says 'Wall Mounted Heater' :eek::eek:. I look around like I'm on an episode of punkt :rolleyes:

I call the PM - she is off Mondays and the receptionist tries to convince me its a split, and it just needs a service. We close off that query with photos.

Email received from PM today saying they are arranging quotes to have fitted asap.

I'm curious if anyone thinks I'd have a case for compensation or rent reduction.
    Given the time of year I'm thinking I'll be a lucky boy if its sorted before the Xmas break, and I'm not looking forward to the incoming Melbourne heat waves and a visit from the elderlies !!

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would be very peeved if an agent advertised something in my IP that wasn't there, meaning I need to install at a cost of probably $2k+ and I'd be asking for the property manager to pay any rent reduction that was sought.

If I was the tenant, I'd be annoyed that an error in the listing was made, that probably nobody realised what looks like a split wasn't actually a split. But I'd be happy that the landlord is adding a split system aircon for me so quickly and not fighting it.

I wouldn't ask for a rent reduction because I'd think that next lease renewal my rent may be bumped up. That may happen anyway.

TMNT and Dan Wood like this.
  3. significance

significance Well-Known Member

I had something similar in the place I am currently renting in Townsville. Moved in in January 2018 to a 2br flat with three air conditioners, only to discover that none of them worked. PM advised that it would take at least six weeks to get it fixed due to the high demand at that time of year. I asked for a rent reduction. Suddenly, the air cons could be fixed within two days.

lettert, TMNT, Dan Wood and 2 others like this.
  4. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Aircon is a struggle to get organised quickly this time of the year. Maybe see if they can install it this side of Xmas or otherwise ask for a rent reduction if there's going to be an extended delay?

alwayslearning2 likes this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

so is it a air con thats broken? or is a heater only split?

6. alwayslearning2

alwayslearning2 Active Member

Its not a split at all. Its a stand alone wall mounted heater

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The PM is probably too young to know that they made heaters once upon a time. :p

8. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Bunnings etc sell a wall mounted heater that looks like a small AC split indoor unit. Maybe the agent never noticed or the owner didnt tell them :(

alwayslearning2 likes this.
  9. Team Tenant

Team Tenant Member

Depending on the circumstances, I would be asking for a slight rent reduction for the period affected. How long had you been living in the property before you noticed, until time you notified LL/REA? A small compensation seems fair, given that the place was advertised with split system a/c.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  10. Team Tenant

Team Tenant Member

Addition to my previous post, Depending on the circumstances, It is up to the LL/REA to make sure the rental is advertised correctly. So if you think its going to take some time for them to install one,(since it's not a matter of repairing the one that is there, as there isn't one there) then it only seems fair to both parties that there is a rent reduction for the period of start of lease date till they install. I am sure the LL would object, but had it been the reverse situation and you only paid some rent, not full, i am sure they would be claiming on that.

Michael Mitchell and TMNT like this.