Split owned Commercial IP & GST

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by MokeMum, 9th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MokeMum

MokeMum Member

Can the brains trust shed any light on this for me?
    We have a 25% share in a commercial IP owned with 2 other parties (25/25/50 split).
    Property has been owned since pre GST days, so none paid on purchase.
    Both 25% owners are GST registered - 50% owner is not.
    Considering implications of sale....currently has a long-standing tenant in place but no tenancy agreement (I know....don't get me started!) and may become vacant.
    If sold when vacant:
    1) Does GST have to be applied to the whole sale, given 50% owner is not registered?
    2) Are 25% GST registered owners liable to pay GST, given that there was none claimable on purchase?
    There will be CGT implications, so the extra 10% is a serious consideration. I'm thinking it may well be sensible to find an alternative tenant before sale, so it becomes a 'going concern'.
    What do others think?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How is the tenant invoiced for rent? With gst or without?

Is it owned in partnership with % or in another vehicle?

3. MokeMum

MokeMum Member

No GST has been claimed on rent (hasn't changed since pre-GST days).
    The tenant is a related entity and just pays without invoice (yes, I know !??*!)
    Ownership is %

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Is there an enterprise - Yes.
    Will the enterprise make a supply that exceeds $75K if the property is sold ? Yes.
    Therefore the enterprise may be required to remit 1/11th of the supply to the ATO as GST.
    The issue of no GST previously is of no concern. GST applies after 1 July 2000.

Then the ENTERPRISE (ie the THREE owners in partnership) require a ABN before a sale and must contract in a manner that considers GST. The individual owners ABN etc is a red herring. The buyer may require a tax invoice and would make enquiries and may seek a GST clause that covers the contingent liability if GST was ignored / unpaid.

If sold vacant then the going concern basis cannot be used to sell the property GST free. A strategy to sell with a tenant under a suitable short term lease should be considered.