Split loan on Dual Occupancy

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Charles1, 1st Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Charles1

Charles1 New Member

Hi All,

I'm looking at building a duplex within the next 6 months, of around 1.6m in value. I'm planning on living on one side and renting out the other as an IP. I have around a $250k deposit.

Would it be possible to have two loans on the property for tax purposes?

My aim is to have the IP side on an $800k IO loan for the first 5 years. I want the PPOR side to be on a loan of $800k less my deposit.

I may be able to get the loan secured, but it would have to be from a partial commercial property (2nd floor has an apartment on top, first floor is a shop front). So considering the lender may not accept this as security, I may need to factor in LMI.

I was hoping someone could assist with my query and direct me to a broker that may be able to assist if possible? I'd like a pre-approval so I could pull the trigger if I find a suitable property to develop.

Thanks

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Its possible if you are building. I have a tax tip on this.

3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

This is a bit confusing to me, are you saying you own this part commercial property already and you may offer it as security for the one you're looking to build?

Terry_w likes this.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF