Split loan between members of a couple

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by legallyblonde, 10th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Oh that must be so painful!

I agree, working to secure your financial future is an attractive feature in a partner! Too much tension and conflict otherwise.

They always say money is the main thing partners fight about.. I think it is so important to be on the same page and aiming for the same place.. Otherwise there will always be resentment!

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Irrelevant today, but hubby and I bought our first block of land in 1971 with individual loans (half each) from each of our banks as we were not married at the time. Probably personal loans?
    Marg

legallyblonde likes this.
  3. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Very interesting thread but none the less of it was a new relationship that went south how does having split loans help?

If one party wants out then ultimately you need to sell the entire property to pay out the debt. I get it for the other reasons but it has no security against a break-up unless I'm missing something?

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

No benefits in a split up other than each persons repayments are segregated so easy to say who paid for what - which is something the courts look at under s79 Family Law Act.

albanga likes this.
  5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Why would not he let you at all? Zero risk tolerance?

This was my situation until recently as his goal changes and he ok'd accesing PPOR equity. I did assure him I have similar amount of cash to cover the increase :confused:

I guess it's easier as we have offset for to get the next PPOR. He became less attached to this one now.