Splashback tiles

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Cimbom, 18th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Apologies in advance for all the reno-related threads - we are moving back into our IP soon and are looking to use the initial vacancy time to do some small reno jobs.

I was just wanting a recommendation for tile stores in Sydney that have a really good range of tiles. I am looking for mint green subway tiles specifically (or other tiles of this colour scheme that would work as a splashback) that are not too expensive. We have white cabinets and benchtops so this would bring some nice colour into the room (like below).

[​IMG]

I went to Beaumont Tiles a few weeks ago and saw one that was the colour I liked but about double the size of a subway tile which I couldn't really picture working.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Any thoughts/suggestions on this?

I didn't realise what an unusual request this apparently is. I called a few stores and it seems anything in this colour is pretty uncommon.

One large store said they had "nothing" in light green which seems hard to believe (!!) and another said they had a few things in a similar tone which I am going to look at tomorrow.

3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Can you purchase online? Get a sample sent first.

Cheers

Jamie

4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

When I wanted something different for tiles, I went to all the local tile outlet shops. They tend to carry stock that is very much different to the tile shops. I found what I wanted there and it was much cheaper as a bonus.

5. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I would get a piece of coloured glass. I've used it a few times. Easier to clean and might work out a similar cost to tiles given the labour to install is much less.

JacM and Redwing like this.
  6. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. Any recommendations for stores to check out in Sydney? We don't have a car so it's harder to randomly come across stores. My aim is to get to Tile Factory Outlet and World of Tiles tomorrow as I have read they have good ranges but I would be happy to try any other places too.

7. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Looks like we'll need to up the budget. I was initially thinking I could spend about $50/sqm and have found some of the right colour (but bigger size) for this price. The smaller subway ones seem to be double the price. It's something that we'll use for years so I guess it's not too bad. Pretty weird that a different colour can change the price so much though - the white and black ones are a fraction of the price!

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. God forbid you want anything slightly different than the rest of the world...
    We've got white subway tiles on our splash-back, but we wanted ones that had some shape to them, not just a flat tile. Had to buy a whole box for about $300, then it cost another $300 to install them (<2sq.m). It took ages for us to find them, and ended up being from a place called Edwardian tiles over here in Fremantle... they'd probably be able to get your mint green ones, but I'm sure there are closer options for you. Good luck with your search!

9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Look at this on eBay Dorrigo Subway tiles | eBay

Ebay! 38/sqm ;)
    Check the bathroom shops on the bay, they often have outlet stores/factories around sydney

10. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Have a look at Metalline from Laminex, it's a thin metal that is cheaper than glass and has a wide range of colours.

As for tiles, I'm not from the area and can't advise.

Regards,
    Arc

11. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I also found it hard to find green tiles for my bathrooms & kitchen, got the kitchen subway tiles from Beaumont on special and the bathroom tiles are glass mosaics from Earp Bros which were cheap compared to normal tiles and they had various shades of green ...
    Green is not to everyone's liking, but I like them :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: 24th May, 2017
    Archaon likes this.