Spiralling rental market forces 'hundreds of thousands' into social housing

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Sackie, 4th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

2. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I'm seeing some pretty ugly stuff up here.

People sleeping in cars etc...

These aren't the usual suspects either.

Lizzie and Catsgo like this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Waiting lists for social housing are already very long.

Antoni0 likes this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Wow....sad.

5. ozhiker

ozhiker Well-Known Member

These people are clearly not migrants or newcomers etc… and they obviously had accomodation previously..

what has changed to force them out??

Is it landlords putting up rents, possibly to compensate for the higher prices they bought in at?

Catsgo likes this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I suspect many of my vintage are considering selling due to the rapidly rising land tax.

I've known about land tax for years, but it was never a problem, but with a threshold that hasn't risen in many years, it is now becoming one of the reasons we've decided to sell one house next tax year, and another the following.

As a real life example, hubby holds two large blocks that we have reconfigured into three blocks to build townhouses. The townhouse block will be taxed as four titles this year.

2017 $ 7,389
    2018 $ 9,559
    2019 $11,209
    2020 $12,364
    2021 $16,512 (now taxed as three blocks)
    2022 $17,106 (three blocks)
    Tax this year is going to be over $20k.

Our rents fell through part of this period, income dropped.

I'm not complaining generally, because we work with the rules we have. But the threshold is a joke and so within 14 months we are removing two rental houses from the rental stock. How many other people are doing the same?

And these two old houses were (and still are) first homeowner territory and therefore, provide rentals for people who want reasonably priced housing.

What will the government do? Will the government provide housing to fill the gap? It has been happy to allow negative gearing to cushion the losses when people buy investment properties that do two things -

. remove investors from ever having to draw a pension
    . provide housing for those who need to rent.

The governments have to realise they are forcing people to move from investing in houses to investing in something else. It is land tax that is forcing our hand.

MWI, Travelbug, craigc and 17 others like this.
  7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Even before the recent rental crunch in WA, the wait times for public housing were something like up to 10 years (average around 6?) on the normal waiting list, and up to 2 and a half years on the priority waiting list (average maybe 15 months).

And "priority" is real priority stuff - rough sleepers, medical issues exacerbated by lack of housing, family violence victims fleeing etc.

Propin likes this.
  8. Brumbie

Brumbie Well-Known Member

Exactly my issue. Land tax,rates,insurance etc adds up to $20k per year. Interest on top. So rent needs to be over $400 pw just to cover regulatory costs let alone interest, repairs and a return on investment. It's a joke and we are called greedy landlords. Property has been great to me but I am eventually moving out of renting too. Such a pity, but it's just too much hassle. Shares don't call me to fix the hot water system at Christmas either.

Antoni0, carfield, Travelbug and 16 others like this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Mt Druitt to the rescue!

It's not my job to run a country lol.

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@wylie land tax is a decent chunk of the reason why I don't keep everything of what I build and sell some. Extract as much profit as possible and let the new buyer deal with it.

craigc, BuyersAgent, Propin and 7 others like this.
  11. Barcelona

Barcelona Well-Known Member

Very sad.

You'd think the government would provide incentives for landlords, who are providing houses for people to live in.

Brumbie and John_BridgeToBricks like this.
  12. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

It's not that easy...

13. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

The reason Australia has relatively low rents compared internationally (high prices, but low rents), is because we have negative gearing. Negative gearing is the incentive that you would be referring to, that ends up incentivising investment in accommodation and keeps a lid on rents.

We often blame negative gearing as the reason why Australian real estate prices are high. However the flip side is that it is also the reason why rents are low. Gotta pick your poison....

B7B, Travelbug, craigc and 7 others like this.
  14. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

You mean like being able to offset the net loss of providing the housing against other income?
    We could call it negative gearing.

We could even go further and offer a 50% discount to the tax attributed to any capital gains on that housing.

Just imagine a country with such incentives ever existing.

sanj, Brendon, shorty and 1 other person like this.
  15. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Dems the rules.... I see this happening a lot in Qld.

The impact on investors are huge. Had a discussion with an agent...and a lot of investors in high value areas in Brissie can no longer hold. It is being bought by Owners....so yes it is being removed from rental stock.

Units however due to lower tax thresholds are now becoming popular in Brissie...first time in a long while. Places in the inner south are very much in demand due to the cross rail and other infrastructure.

16. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Land value has climbed fairly high = land rate increases, fairly substantial insurance rate increases, close to impossible to get a repair done at a fair cost due to the lack of trade people around, then add large amounts of land tax for some. Owning and running a house isn't cheap anymore.

Brumbie likes this.
  17. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

What happened? Job losses, price hikes/inflation across the board, wage stagnant for 10 years going strong, new residents coming from OS @ 300k pa, 300k pa houses/units NOT being built to accommodate these people (schools hospitals etc not being built. Roads not built. Trains not built.) I’m not anti immi at all being a beneficiary when my own family escaped genocide but I can see this equation just doesn’t add up.

Why are teachers and nurses striking?? Horrendous conditions. Overflowing wards and classrooms. I’m a teacher but not willing to work right now it’s just too awful.)

freyja, ART, virhlpool and 2 others like this.
  18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Hard to see how that article is correct as the headline suggests they may be printing houses due to higher demand. Sadly thats not the case. . Social housing has had modest growth in property volume & availability and there is a monumental wait list and its getting longer real fast. I hear stores about lack of property for rent and some people will be listed as unsuitable v others who offer a premium. Many people will just be joining impossible wait lists for property that wont become available. A single issue with low income, single mums etc and they arent offerred a property. And if they are being evicted its not enough time. Even NRAS properties are winding off that scheme.

There are a variety of schemes introduced by Libs and states over the past several budgets to increase public investment in better new housing that is affordable. Incentives include a higher CGT discount, land tax and even tax credits. It doesnt go far enough however with the demand seemingly growing. Can only see it getting worse perhaps.

19. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

60% discount as a incentive to investors. However its not like being a landlord. These are investment in property investment trusts that are constructing these homes (blocks of apartments typically).
    CGT discount for affordable housing

20. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

Personally, I think CGT should be zero. In most case what we think are capital gains, is just inflation (currency devaluation). If inflation is a tax, CGT is a tax on a tax, but no one seems to notice.

carfield, craigc, Stoffo and 12 others like this.