Spell check

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by Blacky, 12th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

@Simon Hampel (or someone else).

Is there are spell check function? If so how do you find/activate it?

Sadly my spelling is bellow average, and I need all the help I can get to make me sound more smarter.

Blacky

Jess Peletier and D.T. like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Most browsers have a built in spell checker these days. I use Firefox. Just make sure you use the UK version (rather than the US version).

Simon Hampel likes this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I use Chrome and it's inbuilt. If I mispell something it has read dots under the word.

Like misspell not mispell.

5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I wouldn't worry - haven't noticed too many major blunders. At least we know what you're trying to say.

Blacky likes this.
  6. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

When new users post they should really take notice of "advise and advice", especially in their thread titles...

7. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

This makes me think you're using Internet Explorer... Download Chrome or Firefox and welcome to the future :)

If you're using one of those, turn on the spell check feature on them. (You can right click in this box and got to Language settings for Chrome for example).

If you need more help you can always download a spelling add-on.

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Alas he's probably at work on a SOE computer but he might have Chrome as an option.

9. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I more notice crappy typo's after I have posted, then have to go back and edit (or choose to ignore). It irks me.

As WM said I am at work so dont have the choice. No option for anything this side of the 90's.

If I get really stuck on a word I will check the dictionary - but more likely use my built in thesaurus to substitute the word (c'mon - I know you all do it too).

Blacky

bob shovel and WattleIdo like this.
  10. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Wow that's really committed, good on you. Yeah I know what you mean about the typos. I'm using a tablet and it's just too easy to make a mistake.

11. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

I'm on i pad and corrections are auto suggested. But sometimes these make for better reading. I know Rolf uses voice to text and this week he suggested something may be "ill eagle". Has made me laugh all week. The vision of the misbehaving sick bird is much more effective.

I hate bad grammar but the odd typo doesn't hurt.

12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

@Blacky - I now recall a conversation we had a few months back when we discussed your work environment and which I think we both agreed completely sucks.

Unfortunately, server-based spell checking is resource intensive and slows down the user interface somewhat compared to what modern browsers can offer.

The web industry has standardised on browser based spell checking solutions, so I don't think we're likely to see a server-based solution gain much traction anyway (although I'm pretty sure they do exist).

Either way, a server-side solution likely wouldn't work in your environment anyway due to restrictions on the specific browser (or more accurately, the age of the browser) you are forced to use - it simply can't do what is required to make server-side spell checking work.

My best advice when composing a post when you actually care about spelling - is to write it in Word or some other tool where you do have spell checking available, and then copy and paste it into your post once you're happy with the spelling.

Blacky likes this.
  13. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Huh - ok. Well I will just carry on sitting here in my spandex listening to Duran Duran and big Bruce waiting for my company to launch us into the 90's.

In the meantime you lot will just have to live with my crap spelling. Its not (entirely) my fault.

Blacky

Simon Hampel and bob shovel like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia