Cars & Motorbikes Speeding fine nsw

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Dylan33, 25th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Same in Vic.

Outside of these times, the standard speed limit applies; which for Vic is 50km/h in a built-up area unless otherwise signposted (often it is 60km'h).

2. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

And that is fine, you probably should get upset. Unfortunately, ignoring the law and getting caught is not the way to protest it. I'm not sure what specifically could be done here though - most schools do have pupil free days/teach development days, but I suspect for this 1 or 2 days per term (or in the case of most private schools, week-block per year), it would fall into the too hard basket to bother doing anything about. Still, there is case for an argument there - the school zone signs do say "school days only" - the question is, what defines a "school day"

Cheers,
    Inertia

158 likes this.
  3. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I wonder if it did apply by law? The signs here say school days - so it's not a school day for that school. I imagine police were just going by the govt school days when staking out the private school. Although you think the cops would have a bit of common sense. I don't have kids so never know when the holidays are, but if I drive past a school it's pretty clear whether it's a school day.

4. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

It's a well known revenue raiser.

It's also why all school zones should have the flashing lights installed that operate during school zone times, but only when the school is open.

I have no kids, so no idea when school holidays are.

Bayview likes this.
  5. Bayview

Based on this; if it happened to me, I would definitely protest it. You would have to prove that the school was indeed on hols, I'd suspect.

But as I said before; my suspicion is they were catching the above 60km/h drivers on that day.

My oldest son's school goes on hols on Dec 3 o_O, whilst the youngest son's school is still going to Dec 18...there is no consistency at all.

6. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Nobody is claiming to be perfect.. But the majority of drivers go about their business without exceeding the speed limit and never lose a single point. When somebody successively gets booked, enough to nearly lose their licence, it proves that they have no regard for the road rules..

Please do society a favour, cut up both of your licenses and sell your cars..

7. vbplease

I disagree.. its actually very easy to avoid losing multiple points. You just gotta stay under the speed limit.

To save speeding, leaving 5mins earlier can help ;)

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

9. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

But in the instance that I pointed out, drivers could have lost points over several times in a short distance. If the government was serious about safety, then have one or two cars clearly visible and the others hiding can catch those idiots.

10. vbplease

Why does a police car need to be visible as means of slowing people down? Seems like a waste of resources to me.. unless its in a construction zone.

They need to be concealed to catch out the idiots.. I like it when they conceal one after the other. For the people that think they avoided the first camera, only to speed up, can get done by the second one :cool:

Bayview likes this.
  11. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Normally I would agree but 4 hidden cars (I only noticed them because I was a passenger - no driver would have) for such a short distance is ridiculous and revenue raising. If someone was speeding all the NSW Government has done is catch them 4 times and they will not know about until a few weeks.

12. Bayview

Having a police car visible is only a deterrent while the police car is in the vicinity.

I have seen this loads of time where everyone sticks to the limit while the cops are on the road among us and visible, but then as soon as they turn off down another road; everyone jumps up another 5 or more km's.

Same thing happens with the obviously parked speed camera cars on the side of the road; slow down for the camera; speed up again 100 metres down thew road after passing it.

I like the idea where you never know where they will be (unless they are the too-regularly placed revenue-raisers that all the locals get to know)...not knowing hopefully gives everyone the incentive to stick to the posted limit - or get pinged.

I do agree that 4 in a short space is a rort..

Last edited: 27th Nov, 2015
  13. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Visible policing has a better long term outcome - same with getting pulled over and fined.

A few international studies have been done which show cameras aren't a good deterrent as there is no memorable cause and effect. You do something wrong, and then 6 weeks later get a fine in the post.

The best thing that ever happened to me was getting a telling off on the side of the road by a Highway Patrol police officer. No fine, just a stern talking too about cause and effect.

In addition having a visible police presence also helps minimises the "I'm not speeding, I'm a safe driver" mindset - tailgating, not checking blind spots, failing to keep left on multi lane roads and the like. For the first time ever I saw a car get pulled over for sitting in the right lane of a motorway for about 5kms without overtaking anyone - and getting over taken to the left.

Cameras do not catch bad driving. They catch speeding.

14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@AndrewTDP its all about the $$$ .... even though they deny it.

I've looked a few places where they put safety cams in my local area and areas where they have removed it. Its a joke.

Big bend on a major road... speed camera removed. There were two to catch different sides of traffic within 1.5km of each other. Both were removed.

Installed safety cam at a normal intersection near a shopping strip where the speed limit is 40km.

Installed safety cam on a major road traffic light where it is a straight line. Instead of fixing the lights to sequence which would be safer to traffic to turn right.

On the plus side though, at least some of the advertising now focuses on paying attention to road as opposed to blaming everything on speeding.

Bayview likes this.
  15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I started driving real slow on public roads once I started driving on the track. Got real scared of having cars coming the other way, intersections, no flaggies.... and I've seen some decent prangs (a couple of rollovers in front of me - no I didn't nudge him!!!) and know how long it takes to stop a car from even 100kmh to a dead halt.

I must be retired from track work too long because I am starting to get a bit careless on public roads :oops:

The Y-man

16. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Most of us speed at some time... BUT the majority would not be speeding with two points left.. That certainly is risky business!

To answer the original question.. There is no harm in trying, but I think it would be a waste of time.

17. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

How can the name of a town be in any way related to speed limits ?

18. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

Just pay the fine. If she's down to her last 2 points, there may be some value in her losing her license.

Alternatively, how about you take the brunt and say you were driving.

19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The OP has suggested that. It has been pointed out that often there are photos of the driver.

20. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I 'm afraid I'm a speeding deehead. I reformed temporarily but then moved out to the country where the driving conditions are pretty good. Lost 5 points in the mountains a few years ago (dreadful driving there) and 3 points in Goologong about 6 weeks ago. Was going 60 onstead of 50.
    The only thing that works with people like me is to lose points and face the consequence of losing the license. Wifey should swallow her pride and not be more of a deehead than she already is. Lucky no-one was hurt - including her ... and you.

Ozzie in Texas likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia