Spark your F.I.R.E Podcast - Your thought/feedback appreciated!

Discussion in 'Financial Independence, Retire Early (FIRE)' started by David Shih, 29th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

UPDATE - we have released our latest special episode last night on thoughts and implications of Royal Commission recommendations to everyday Australians should these get adopted.

Tune in and let us know your thoughts and happy Friday!

Cheers,
    David

jefn89 likes this.
  2. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

3. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

4. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

*cracks knuckles*
    Alright gents, I've got some down time at work, so I'm gonna give these a listen tonight. I'll give my thoughts as they come to me. *EDIT* Just listened to them all in one sitting lol.

I'm a beginner investor, with one IP, so I'm constantly reading books and listening to podcasts when I can.

I like giving honest feedback, and you asked for it, so here it is:

• I'm not sold on the the intro jingle, and the FIRE definition seems a little clunky to be part of the intro. Maybe something along the lines of "Welcome to our podcast .. where we'll spark your financial independence to retire early".
    • "now.. here's your hosts David and Jazz.." - Am I correct in thinking that's David saying this? It's a bit weird talking about yourself in the 3rd person. Get someone else to do your intro, or word it better ;)
    • I like the short format. I only drive 15 minutes to work, so anything more than 30 minutes (happy to listen to half each way) isn't ideal for me personally.
    • I like the banter format. I'm a long time listener of The Property Couch, so this is an instant win for me.
    • Just be careful about the perspective of the chat. Most of the time you're talking to each other, but regularly keep saying "As David just said..." "As Jazz mentioned..." and it feels like there's a third host on the line.
    • You've got a pretty decent description in iTunes, but it needs some proofing. Perhaps mention in the description that you're both mortgage brokers, and that it's an Australian podcast. A lot of the time I search for "Australian investing" or "Australian property" when looking for new content. It'll help your SEO hits.
    • You need a description for the whole podcast in the Android format. Currently it's just "Property and Finance Podcast"
    • Please number your episodes in the title. On the Android platforms it doesn't show the episode numbers. It'll come in handy for you guys when referring back to previous episodes.
    Specific episode notes:
    • Ep2:
    • Can't tell if it's the low-RAM VDI terminal I'm listening on, but the volume seemed pretty whacky, fluctuating throughout (*EDIT* I think it was just me)
    • Is the term "Investment savy mortgage broker" a common saying? I know it's a favourite of the Property Couch guys.
    • Ep3:
    • I like this behind the curtain peek of what mortgage brokers deal with.
    • Ep6 Luke Moroney:
    • Did the volume drop on this episode after the intro?
    • Yep! Gave myself a heart attack when I went to the next episode :O

Request: Since you're both brokers, I think an FAQ episode would be worthwhile. What are the questions you guys get asked all the time?
    And following on from that, how about "the common mistakes that beginner/first time investors make"?

Other than what I mentioned above, I enjoyed the episodes to far. And you've got me as a subscriber. Keep it up!

Chris s and David Shih like this.
  5. jazzsidana

@ShireBoy - Really really appreciate such detailed feedback mate. And thanks heaps for going through all the episodes.

I can promise @David Shih and I will be going through each of these points in our next catch-up..

Super thanks buddy!.

Cheers,

Last edited: 9th Feb, 2019
    krispy and ShireBoy like this.
  6. David Shih

UPDATE - EP7 now released!

Who do you need to guide you in today's property investment world?

Check out our latest episode where we talk about the importance of having a good & trusted team around you and what each of their roles are.
    Apple: Spark Your Fire (Oz Property/Finance) by Jazz Sidana and David Shih on Apple Podcasts
    Android: Spark Your Fire (Oz Property/Finance)

As always, your feedback and thoughts are important to us. You can leave them here, email us directly or via our newly launched Facebook page!

Cheers,
    David

Last edited: 11th Feb, 2019
  7. David Shih

Wow, thanks for the detailed feedback @ShireBoy!! Really appreciate your detailed, constructive feedback and time spent in typing it up!

Jazz and I have reviewed these and we will be making changes/tweaks accordingly in the coming episodes. We would love to hear back from you and others at a later stage to see what else we can refine further.

Thanks again and have a great Monday!

Cheers,
    David

8. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

I did not realise it was you @David Shih . I picked the URL from Jazz's signature as I was keen to listen the podcast. Nice choice of topic and very informative. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, @David Shih & @jazzsidana

David Shih likes this.
  9. jazzsidana

Thanks for taking time out to listen it @momentum26 ..

If you enjoying the content, don't forget to drop us the ratings on itunes!. And feedback is welcome :)

Last edited by a moderator: 2nd May, 2022
  10. David Shih

UPDATE - EP8 now released!

This investor managed to retired off 15 properties and quit his 9 to 5!

How did he do it, and what was the biggest tips & tricks from his investment journey? Tune in our latest Spark your FIRE Podcast episode on Apple & Android:
    Apple: Spark Your Fire (Oz Property/Finance) by Jazz Sidana and David Shih on Apple Podcasts

As always, your feedback and thoughts are important to us. You can leave them here, email us directly or via our newly launched Facebook page!

Have a great Monday :)

Cheers,
    David

11. David Shih

UPDATE - EP9 now released!

Asset Rich versus Cash Rich - the money concept discussion! Why is it important to achieve a balance?

Tune in our latest Spark your FIRE Podcast episode to find out more!

Have a great Monday all! :)

Cheers,
    David

jefn89 likes this.
  12. David Shih

HOT OFF THE PRESS - EP10 now released!

Here's our first series of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) as requested by our audience! In this episode we'll tackle:
    1. When is the best time to buy properties??
    2. What type of property should I buy??

Tune in our latest Spark your FIRE Podcast episode to find out more!

Cheers,
    David

13. David Shih

EP11 now released!

Check this out - Ayda bought her first property when she was 18 as she decided to leave home. Fast forward 17 years now her portfolio is sitting comfortably at the 10 mil mark!! :eek::eek:

Tune into the latest Spark your FIRE Podcast episode as you will not want to miss her inspirational story on how she started, her investment philosophy and the key takeaways for those who are starting out today!

Cheers,
    David

14. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

@David Shih In Ep9 Asset Rich vs Cash Rich, the interchangeable use of Cash & Cashflow is not a good idea IMHO.

You state that cash is or can be considered an Asset then go on to call income from a job cash & say that once the job is gone so is the cash (paraphrasing here).

In reality, Cash on hand is quite different to Cashflow from a job or other source. Your podcast would have benefited from this distinction IMHO.

Also, the comment of Cash in the bank getting 3-5% is "going backwards" was only compared to Property doubling in the same period, which isn't made explicitly clear in the podcast. This has convoluted the message as IMO your trying to convey two separate messages:
    1. Real value of Cash due to inflation eroding its value.
    2. Relative return on Cash in the bank is poor compared to investments such as property.
    This message is ambiguous, to me at least, the way it was conveyed.

As a podcast, considering many listeners are likely to be just starting on their financial education journey, it would be useful to use clear non-ambiguous and succinct language. Unfortunately this podcast missed the mark for me.

David Shih likes this.
  15. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Podcast is great. Audio quality is atrocious... why! Do you guys talk over phone speakerphone or something?

It’s a shame as I absolutely love David’s updates in “What I learned from property investing” here. Might be a great point to go into these in detail. Say one point in each episode. What went wrong? What would you have done differently? And so on.

David Shih likes this.
  16. David Shih

Thanks @Indifference - greatly appreciate your honest thoughts and opinion on where we missed the mark as well as how we can make this podcast better.

@jazzsidana and I will certainly take this on as part of our review, so that moving forward we strive towards as precise with our terminology and distinctions as much as we possibly can.

Cheers,
    David

Indifference likes this.
  17. David Shih

Thanks @Noobieboy for your support and feedback on the audio quality. It's something that we're constantly tweaking/fine tuning each episode as we progress to make it better than the last. On our latest episode (not yet released) we have tried a complete new format which we're much more happy about, so hopefully this will now tick off the audio quality issue.

In relation to my lessons posted on PChat, Jazz and I do have plans on how we can incorporate some of our own "lessons learnt" from our own portfolio in the upcoming future episodes - so we'll make sure we get them in!

Cheers,
    David

jefn89 likes this.
  18. WellKnow

WellKnow Well-Known Member

Great information in the podcast but such horrible horrible recording and volume levels that if i accidentally change to another podcast it can leave me deaf. David most of the time you sounds like your are out in the yard while Jazz is recording in the basement. Please improve the audio quality as I like listening to the podcast but gets so frustrated when I can't hear what is been said sometimes.

Also a quick few points please don't interrupt the guests in mid speech as Jazz seems to do that quite a few times. Would make it good listening if one person finished before the other person starts talking. Also don't begin the conversation with hi are you there? that gives the listeners the impression that you all are not in the same room.(which i know you are not but you can check in advance of the recording that everyone is on line)

19. David Shih

Hi @WellKnow,

Thank you for your feedback - yes we have been focusing on sorting out the voice quality issue this week. The upcoming episode on Monday should reflect much better listening experience so please do let us know your thoughts after Monday.

Valid points - thank you for pointing them out. @jazzsidana and I will definitely take these up for our future episodes :)

Cheers,
    David

WellKnow and jefn89 like this.
  20. jazzsidana

Super appreciate the feedback mate. And applying the learnings from feedback we getting...

Still little work to do but the episode published this morning, much better sound quality i'll say but keen to hear everyone's opinion!.

I am sure @David Shih will be dropping the link shortly to latest published episode

And please let the feedback keep flowing!...

Cheers,

WellKnow likes this.