spACE forccccce

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lizzie, 10th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Omg. I had no idea this was a US Government real proposal....

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

4. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Hey, aside from the silly name....maybe it could be a good thing? More space research usually progresses us a species?

My gut feeling is the timing seems interesting considering the Russian investigation....but hey...I'm happy to be proven wrong!

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I don't think that the role is bad. But I would have thought that it was a role small enough to be a part of one of the existing forces, as the Russians have done, and as the US is probably already doing. Duplicating resources for a new branch seems unnecessary.

It wouldn't surprise me if the reason was political due to clashes with existing defence personnel, or an attempt for Trump to leave a permanent legacy. I'm not saying that's what has happened, I'm just cynical as to the reasons for a new branch.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I cannot get past the fact we have millions of starving people who could do with some funds, so why spend money defending our planet from... who exactly?

It is bad enough that there have been wars fought for thousands of years and I know we need to keep defence forces ready to fight off "real" threats, but Space Force funds could be put to much better use.

7. geoffw

I think the idea is to defend from weapons other countries could launch from space, as well as defending their own satellites from attack. There's possibly an anti surveillance function.

LVR likes this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Ok. Well that makes a little more sense. ;)

I still think this doesn’t need a new shiny logo and department. What a waste of money.

9. geoffw

I completely agree. All the functions of the new agency could have been performed within an existing agency without the cost of setting up and duplicating infrastructure which already exists.

However, it will have one long lasting effect.

It will be listed as one of the great "achievements" of Trump from now until ever.

It's started already - hence the Trump 2020 campaign selling merchandise.

10. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think 30 000 or so Americans die every year from preventable illness due to lack of access to medical care and you have the country performing 47th in the world In education of its population then I'd argue even if space force idea miraculously has merit its crazy to spend even more of the money they don't have on defence

The US currently has a yearly discretionary federal. Budget of around 1.25 trillion. Of that 1.25tn, nearly 900bn, or close to 3 quarters, goes to military/defence spending. Out of the remaining 1 quarter, that has to be spread around EVERYTHING. Infrastructure, education, health, policing etc etc

The very idea of a proposal to spend even more on this sector, let alone the loony tunes aspect, when 40 million Americans live in deep poverty and it has the highest child poverty rates in the entire developed world is as badly thought out as it is insulting imo.

Ambit, Lizzie, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  11. Alain

Alain Well-Known Member

The stats and figures you posted are a bit off and misleading.

Pie chart of 'federal spending' circulating on the Internet is misleading

In any case, despite the usual "US sucks" chants there are still hundreds of thousands of people that want to migrate to the USA.

You also have the US citizenry who are vehemently opposed to universal healthcare for whatever reasons

MTR likes this.
  12. geoffw

Sanj explicitly stated discretionary spending. The link you posted said that the information posted was misleading because it didn't state discretionary spending.

Regardless of the nitpicking on the figures - the fact remains that they are going to be spending even more for a new space agency when they still have such big social problems.

There is still huge inequality in the US, and although for those doing well things are getting better than before, for the less well off more could be done. Better employment is helping, but education could be more equitable, and health care is enormously expensive and unaffordable for many.

13. sanj

1) I used actual figures from the 2019 budget released in may 2018 that I got from this website Secrets of the Federal Budget Revealed
    The article you quoted was from 2015, the only misleading post here is yours unfortunately

2) the discussion and specifically my post was regarding the badly weighted allocation of federal funds and I stayed why with some specifics, you're free to disagree of course but mentioning anti us sentiment and that it's still popular with immigrants doesn't address, agree or disagree with my post and was entirely irrelevant

3) you've been quite misleading in making it seem like the majority of citizens are strongly against universal healtcare when over half the country supports it. Most polls over the last 2 years show a 52 to 60% support so the citizenry overall definitely doesn't vehemently oppose it, less than half does.

Might need to update your info sources or reference points

Ambit, Lizzie and geoffw like this.
  14. Alain

Alain Well-Known Member

SNAP!! i stand corrected

I guess all Democrats have to do to win the next election is offer universal healthcare

MTR likes this.
  15. 738

738 Well-Known Member

Lets revisit this thread in 10 years time, I think those of you against this development will see the benefits.

Alain likes this.
  16. sanj

Lets revusit this thread tomorrow, next year, 5 years from now, 10 years from now and almost anytime really.

I think those of you celebrating this idea when:

- America has 30k preventable deaths yearly due to lack of access to healthcare,
    - when the current budget deficit is 1TRILLION per year,
    -when flint, Michigan still doesn't have drinkable water
    - when America has the worst child mortality rates in the developed world and one of the worst life expectancy
    - when America has the highest amount of poverty in the entire developed world
    - when American education standards are so low they now rank 31st out of 35 OECD nations in the world...

...either don't have a clue or don't have a care and either way it's outrageous

Easy supporting these childlike imotqcrivim ideas from the comfortable perch us Aussies sit on, with safety nets and government standards far in excess of those many in America could only dream of but hey, who cares about the hungry, homeless or vulnerable right, let's smugly support "SPACE FORCE"

wategos, 738, geoffw and 3 others like this.
  17. sanj

*childlike impractical

18. 738

738 Well-Known Member

Read up on Neil Degrass Tyson’s thoughts on it. Makes sense to me. :)

Last edited: 29th Aug, 2018
  19. sanj

His thoughts relate to the idea of a "space force" or equivalent and come from his science background.

In the event of a genie granting you 3 magic wishes sure, but I'd love to hear how taking money away from the truly needy and the truly underfunded organisations to find this space force, at a time when the armed forces already swallows more than half of the entire federal discretionary budget, makes sense to you?

You realise people are actually dying and there are kids in poverty who then attend terribly underfunded schools to get a substandard education because so much is spent on the military but you think it's wise to spend more?

What happened to empathy in this world??? Good lord.

Not my kids who cares right

Ambit and Lizzie like this.
  20. sanj

3000 people died in 9/11 and that was enough to set off a war that still hasn't ended and changed the entire world's direction, lead to over 1million dead and trillions of dollars spent

The same number of people die every single month or so In America just from lack of access to proper healthcare. Truly stop and think about it. Just about every single month. For the nearly 200 months since 9/11.

In case that didn't sink in, roughly the entire population of the gold coast has died just since 9/11 from a lack of access to healthcare. Something just about every single one of us takes for granted and never has to worry about .The entire gold coast. Wiped out.

But you think exploring space is more important right now?

738 and wylie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.