Spa / hot tub

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by shreko, 2nd Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shreko

shreko Well-Known Member

Hello

I did a search on this topic but couldnt find anything. I want to get peoples thoughts on incorporating spas into landscaping.

Previously i thought it would be a ridiculous idea and this would be hugely dependent on personal preference. I am building in a nsw beachside central coast suburb in a subdivision of very high value builds, and in checking out all of their DAs it seems there is a lot of people installing outdoor spas.

In my opinion i certainly wouldnt install a pool unless it was in queensland, due to maintenance and personal preference issues, however i have never considered how a spa or hot tub might affect value (they are cheap, easy and dont seem to take as much maintenance).

If anyone has some opinions or information to share - please let me know. Keeping in mind it is a beachside suburb with high value hamptons style homes.

Thanks!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is it a PPOR or an IP?

Have you spoken with any agents to see what the demand is and whether it is a value add or not?

How hard will it be for a purchaser to add one later?

AFAIK, due to the depth, a pool fence will also be required - how will this affect the design?

3. shreko

shreko Well-Known Member

It will be a PPOR that I will sell pretty quickly, so just looking to get it looking great straight away.
    No, it seems every agent around there just ********s their way through a conversation, because they don't know anything about the area. It is the new subdivision at Catherine Hill Bay.

It doesn't seem a fence will be required for the ones I am looking at.. just a lockable hardcover.

It wouldn't be too difficult to install one after handover, just need a new circuit in the meterbox and run it to the spa.

4. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Hi @shreko it may just be my personal opinion (I don't like them) but if you are looking at selling the property in a short while I would not be putting it in. For my way of thinking and in the properties I have had dealings with a pool/spa is quite a polarising item. I have never had someone not buy somewhere because there was not a pool however the converse would happen on a regular occasion. Spending more money also increases your exposure/risk to the property. Just my 2 cents.

5. ramblin72

ramblin72 Well-Known Member

Spa owner here. They are a great idea in theory but expensive to run and also a pain in the arse to repair and it will need repair at some point. We're about to sell ours. Thank god I don't have to pull it out of the ground.

My father has one also which is stuck in the ground and hasn't worked for 5+ years so it's now a large pot for plants.

larrylarry and MTR like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Ditto, would never do it again. They are Grinch worthy to be honest, its the heat mixed with all the other stuff, very unhygienic... yuk

Got a pool now and loving this

7. shreko

shreko Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for all your replies.
    I didn't think about the heat + moisture aspect.. could be very ugly for someone inspecting it. If I landscaped the outside to make it look nice, then that would make it permanent.
    Better to just have a nice private open space.

Cutting my target market into thirds is not going to be a good idea, I am going to want it gone quick.

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Check your state leglislation regarding fencing.

Some require spas to be fenced to the same standards as swimming pools.
    Marg

Scott No Mates likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

So it is less than 30 cm deep? SPASA Linky

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Fence not required in NSW - just lockable cover

Spa_pools

I have been advised by several electricians to never ever buy the cheap spa pools - apparently they are rubbish with constant electrical faults/problems and they are surprised there haven't been deaths..

With our new build, we did reinforce the deck to carry a spa, just in case, as so much easier to do so during the build stage - but would be looking at something like this - not cheap :( :

spa.jpg

Scott No Mates likes this.
  11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Fencing (non portable spa), water supply and waste and dual outlet anti-suction plumbing requirements, electricals are all quite costly to add later if not in immediate proximity to dwelling. The connection availability may be a minor cost to enable a buyer to make their own choice. Design a "clear area"in landscape that leaves their choice open.