NSW Southwest Syd where to buy?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Marcussyd, 6th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Marcussyd

Marcussyd Member

Hey everyone, first time poster on here.
    My partner and I are looking at buying our first home in Sydney. We have a budget of 1 - 1.1 mil and the suburbs we are currently considering are chipping norton, georges hall, panania and padstow. We want an eatablished 4 bed/2 bath home and ideally 550 sqm+.

Let me know what you guys think as we are both newbies to the housing market. Thanks

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Hi @Marcussyd

What input and/or thoughts are you after?

3. Marcussyd

Marcussyd Member

Thanks so much for the response.
    Any advice would be really helpful. Mainly just wondering if they're good suburbs to live in, have good future potential for growth and which of those suburbs you would choose and why? Or even suggest other suburbs to consider that are within my budget also.

4. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

I wouldn't limit myself to specific suburbs per se - I think finding a "good" property is more important. Also think about the future. do you want to live in the property for a long time?

Do you plan to convert it into an investment in say 5-7 years time and upgrade to another property. If thats the case then the property should have investment specific characteristics.

Focus on the criteria more so than the a particular suburb.

5. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

I don't have feedback on those specific suburbs.

However, consider your long term goals and what you want to get out of the deal.

If you are looking for good capital growth over the long term, then look at Sydney as a whole - where could you get best bang for your buck, with a good block of land, well located, convenient with fundamentals / infrastructure going in.

Whatever you buy, think about the 'upside' with that particular property.

6. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I know the area of Panania really well. I grew up in he next suburb east hills and lived there for 27years. The prices have skyrocketed over the past 5-6 years. Mainly due to developers buying up and putting duplexes everywhere.

I have friends in padstow heights and also chipping norton. Any questions please feel free to ask.

7. Marcussyd

Marcussyd Member

Hey Brian, thanks so much for replying. I've been looking at properties in panania and they have definitely skyrocketed. There's duplexes going up everywhere. I think for my budget i'm mostly interested in chipping norton. I want to buy an oldish home on a 600-700 sqm block and maybe develop it myself like 7-10 yrs from now. Only thing holding me back, I really don't know much about the south western sydney market and if i'm looking at the right suburbs.

8. Marcussyd

Marcussyd Member

Hey Brian, thanks so much for replying. I've been looking at properties in panania and they have definitely skyrocketed. There's duplexes going up everywhere. I think for my budget i'm mostly interested in chipping norton. I want to buy an oldish home on a 600-700 sqm block and maybe develop it myself like 7-10 yrs from now. Only thing holding me back, I really don't know much about the south western sydney market and if i'm looking at the right suburbs.

9. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Chipping norton is a nice suburb. Close to Warwick farm train station as well as Liverpool station and shops. Friends of ours actually moved from Panania to chipping norton many years ago and they loved it.

Panania has had a lot of money put into the area from the council to do up the shops area. There are a fair few cafes and various other shops. The main grocery shopping centre would be at Revesby where there is a Woolworths and coles and a heap more cafes. I think Panania only has iga.

If I had a choice between the areas you suggested I would probably choose chipping norton.

Every second house in the other suburbs are turning into duplexes and the parking is crazy and the streets are pretty much one car through at a time now. Every street looks like a car yard.

10. Marcussyd

Marcussyd Member

Thanks mate. I agree, I don't think i want to live in a cramped up street hence why i want to live in an established neighbourhood with bigger blocks. I'm mostly stuck between chipping norton and georges hall but i'm also questioning whether there are better suburbs within my price range i could be purchasing my first home. I'm not sure what the growth of chipping norton will be like in the next 5-10 yrs compared to other parts of sydney.

11. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Promise is to fix up the waterway and banks around Chipping Norton. Good community.

I spent may years in adjacent Moorebank for work and seeing the area develop its been. A. Mainly positive step.

The type of people moving in are working class house proud families and professionals.