NSW South Sydney - Penshurst, Hurstville,Allawah, Kogarah

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by sydneysiderrr, 7th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. sydneysiderrr

sydneysiderrr Member

Hello guys,

I need to move in this area for work purpose, probably for 2 years or a bit longer. Just wondering if i should buy or just rent. Would appreciate any feedback/opinions investing in these suburbs (st George area). Good?Bad?
    Thanks!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Even consider suburbs like Bexley, Earlwood, Undercliff.

sydneysiderrr likes this.
  3. sydneysiderrr

sydneysiderrr Member

Am focusing around Penshurst ,Hurstville and Allawah . Seems to have lots of new apartments at Hurstville. Oversupply???

4. sydneysiderrr

sydneysiderrr Member

Will look up on Bexley. Anybody is an expert /BA in st george area?

5. TFBoy

TFBoy Well-Known Member

Renting will definately work out to be cheaper in Hurstville given the supply of newish apartments.

Older walk up units are not cheap in hurstville or allawah or even carlton. Def better value if you go kogarah/penshurst.

6. Justin_Z

Justin_Z Mortgage Broker Business Member

In terms of culture, Hurstville is pretty much Chinatown and Kogarah has more Middle Eastern population. Allawah isn't as convenient in terms of shops and other amenities compared to the others on your list. Would suggest you walk around the suburbs to get a feel first.

7. Bunlee

Bunlee Well-Known Member

For a period of a couple of years or so, renting would perhaps be the best option to see what areas you like best and to determine if you want to buy there at all.

Have lived in the St George area for many years and really like it. Of course, prices have run up significantly over the last few years so it is not cheap.

Hurstville - western side of the railway, really built up with apartments and shopping precinct. As stated in another post, very strong asian influence.

Allawah - mainly eastern side of the railway - lots of apartments, small shopping centre and, like Carlton, a station that has lots of trains that go straight from Kogarah to Hurstville and don't stop.

Some nice apartments blocks though

Carlton - lots of apartments on the eastern side of the railway.

Of the above 3 spots I would prefer Allawah as there are some apartments that are nice and it is a little, but not much, quieter, especially in relation to Hurstville

Kogarah - getting very built up with the Hospital there and other medical related businesses.

The area on the eastern side of the railway between Kogarah and Carlton isn't so busy.

Penshurst - typical apartments that are built around the railway stations in Sydney. Some nice villas between Forest Road and Stoney Creek Road. Many coffee shops popping up in the area.

Mortdale - might be wrong but a bit more down market than Penshurst. Has a nice suburban shopping district and easy to get parking.

A little far fronm public transport but my favorites in the St George area include Ramsgate Beach, San Souci and Doll's Point. Some nice villas and apartments there.

If you are after quiet areas you could look into Connell's Point.

Overall, prices have really run up in these areas so I would expect a cool down with an opportunity to buy later. However, the St George area is a fairly tight held market from what I can gather.

I would stay away from the Wolli Creek precinct, too much new stock, too built up and too much noise from aircraft and traffic is my feeling.

Good luck

sydneysiderrr and HappyCamper like this.
  8. lost nomad

lost nomad Well-Known Member

Oatley NSW 2223

Has a nice village, lots of parks and a train station - 25-30mins to Central.

There is a walkway over the Georges River to Como which is a nice

South / East side of the railway (village side) would have no aircraft noise, West side may suffer from a little bit of the East - West runway (over Peakhurst / Hurstville / Bexley)