Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

South facing apartment

Discussion in 'General Property Chat' started by Ami, 15th Aug, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ami

Ami New Member

Hello members,
    I am very interested in buying an apartment(Meriton property) in Sydney.But it has just one balcony facing South.With what I have read so far, south facing property receives no natural light and as such will not fetch a good price if we try to sell it in future.I like this one as it's in my budget and very very spacious but just don't want to buy something and regret later.Any suggestions/experience with south facing apartment for self living?

2. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you are buying this off-the-plan?
    That is a big no-no in itself.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I live northside. If I want city views, I will want a city view, I won't get it with a north facing balcony.

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I think you answered yourself - it's cheaper to buy because it's south facing, which means you'll get less for it when you sell.

I just shook my head when I heard about (someone who will remain unnamed) who bought to renovate next to a bikie gang because it was cheap - poured money into the place - and then struggled to sell for any decent price because it was next to a bikie gang.

If it's cheap to buy for a reason you can't alter - it will be cheap to sell for the same reason

wylie likes this.
  5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo renovating Premium Member

Is there any exposure at all to the east?
    Are there views?
    If you like it, others will like it too - you just have to keep in mind that it will be harder to sell and always be worth a little less.
    I would not buy off the plan. I would buy south if it was a good apartment with great views. I would buy if it had exposure to the east. Just south, maybe not. South and west, definitely not.

6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

buy a periscope.

7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Here is my 2c without GST

Ok, so if I find a great unit that is facing North, should I buy it if it is basically looking into the neighbors windows ? no, not for me.

Actually, in an apartment, I would be looking at how private it is, view, noise problems, apart from that, in Sydney's mild weather, would not be too bothered as it will not have sunlight on furniture etc nor sun sitting on it in the afternoon. Generally they have a stable temperature.

So yeah, it would not be a deal breaker for me on that alone.

And if you get it cheaper, it may sell cheaper too, but it will still move with the market.

Oh, and I read that street facing units bring the most $$$ , but that is the last aspect I would likely take.

8. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Everything always has a price and if it is less than optimal the price will be less than optimal unless you change it (if you can).

E.g.
    House A - On a quiet street - 500k
    House B - On main road - 400k

Lets keep real simple and say house A doubles in 10 years.

House A - worth 1M
    House B - worth? It could be worth 1M+ (maybe zoning rules changed), Could be worth 850-1M as the land is so valuable and people are willing to forgive it (unlikely), house is now worth 800k (likely) or house is worth 700-800k (also likely)... house worth 600k? Doubtful unless the main road is now a freeway and they built a train line on it however if it has the same traffic then it should be worth ~800k now if that is 750k or 850k not a huge thing.

9. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

he just wants views... a painting would do.