VIC South Eastern - Suburbs

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Indmr, 19th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Indmr

Indmr Active Member

Hello everyone. Would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Considering moving from western suburbs to the south eastern suburb, primarily for the access to the better public schools. Some school zones areas in particular Berwick, Narren Warren and Cranbourne are within our budget. Based on schools we are more inclined towards Berwick.

In past year within south eastern region, Cranbourne, Narren Warren, Clyde, Clyde North, Officer and Pakenham experienced positive growth. Officer being the best.

There are development plans for south east region specially Fountain Gate - Narren Warren CBD.

Wondering why is the not so much positive growth for the Berwick considering there are good houses, better primary schools also selected entry Nossal High School.

2. Ben JH

Ben JH Well-Known Member

There are many variables influencing positive growth, such as population growth, change to liveability and new infrastructure development etc. By what you have described, basically primary school by itself is not enough to attract the same demand as other suburbs.

3. codeninja

codeninja Well-Known Member

I regret my purchase in Cranbourne. I love the suburb but very poor performer.

4. Indmr

Indmr Active Member

Thanks @Ben JH. Berwick secondary school options are better than other neighbouring suburbs, Kambrya College and Nossal High School.
    It's a nice suburb with train station, hospital with a demand of family home. Mostly old houses with big land sizes. Houses in school zones are still going very quick.
    Don't know much about the infrastructure development but I see new land estates nearby a factor for not rising the prices.

5. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I invested on the western side of Langwarrin a few years ago around 2015 and it performed exceptionally well. I did research Carrum Downs but elected to not go any further east than Langwarrin. Overall the SE suburbs still a good long term hold I think.

- Andrew

Indmr likes this.
  6. Ben JH

Ben JH Well-Known Member

If I was buying a place to live, I'd put less focus on historical growth. Historical performance doesn't predict future results.

The Y-man and Indmr like this.
  7. km1974

km1974 Well-Known Member

Berwick is best value for money in all of Melbourne IMO.

Why has the prices not gone up? Because you have so much stock in the area to the south who all fraudulently use the Berwick name, such as "Berwick Springs" which is Narrow Warren South, or "Berwick Waters" which is Clyde North.

South of the freeway has thousands and thousands of lots and that is what has kept the real Berwick prices down. That said, if you go to real Berwick, you'll see many places well above 1m price tags.

VB09, craigc and Indmr like this.
  8. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Agree as @km1974 states best option for OO appeal would be the ‘true/old‘ Berwick.
    Nicest pocket would be north of High Street (Ie high side) and East of Harkaway/Narre Warren East Rd.
    If you want to really feel envious go for a drive on Beaumont and Old Coach Rd’s to check out the mega mansions on acreage some with views. Beware of the private helipads though.

Note: some of the properties around Harkaway Rd and surrounds are/have been subdivided to build higher end townhouses which will also reflect in the averages if that is all you are looking at for your stats.

If can’t afford to get into this area, next best is at least north of the Freeway & the train line. This gives you close access to transport as well as the hospitals / Uni / schools whilst still walkable to High street.
    Good luck

Indmr likes this.
  9. sam2607

sam2607 Member

Berwick is nice, had a drive around there last week. Some pockets are very well developed and have a premium feel. But if you work in CBD consider the distance, it would take around 1:30hr each side.

10. OzziMelbourne

OzziMelbourne Well-Known Member

If you are talking about your OO house, Berwick is one the best suburbs to live. Don’t concentrate on just capital grow, concentrate on living. I live in Berwick in its northern part. While Berwick South is flat, the N part of it and some central parts are hilly with nice views. Good schools, train station, the closest Coles with cafes is 7 min walk and Fountain Gate is 5 min drive from my home. So, abundance of shops, cafes and restaurants plus some wineries 15 min drive.
    For me it doesn’t matter that my own house grew up by 100 percent only during the last 10 years, my own quality of life matters

craigc and Indmr like this.
  11. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t most catch the train if working in the central CBD?
    Admittedly since Covid WFH changes travel time
    In the car has dropped significantly but who knows what the permanent L-T working arrangement changes will be.

sam2607 likes this.
  12. Nando Lee

Nando Lee Well-Known Member

Berwick is growing now.. Recently listed properties on Fairholme Bulavard are now over a million. Properties on Brisbane Street are even more expensive. We missed out a few properties in North Berwick due to high competition. We have given up North Berwick and bought a house in Beaconsfield.

13. altec

altec Member

Thinking of buying in Berwick too, especially the Minta area zoned to Kambrya college. Land is scarce and expensive, is it worth 500k plus for 400sqm?

14. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

I know it’s an old thread but would like to ask
    Is there too much noise from Moorabbin airport? Especially Oakleigh South and Bentleigh East? Do you also see positives in Springvale and Clayton South?

Last edited by a moderator: 7th Aug, 2023
  15. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

Depenmd
    Depends if it's under the flight paths; there are several. Huge demand for Springvale and Clayton South, largely driven by NAPLAN results for local primary schools, and a development-friendly (for townhouses/units) planning scheme in those suburbs.

samiam likes this.
  16. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Thanks Kate, the flight paths I found on web are a bit confusing. Also heard about Clayton South schools- we don’t need to pay for premium for schools but it may go up like Waverly with Asian concentration.
    What do you think of Bentleigh East and Oakleigh south? Any streets under flight path?

17. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

Probably Bentleigh East - there's a flight path (helicopters and light planes) that runs from Brighton Beach, over Dendy Street and up through Bentleigh and East Bentleigh near South Road, then right to Moorabbin Airport.

Oakleigh South probably not.

samiam likes this.
  18. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

samiam likes this.
  19. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Thank you. We might prob give up on Bentleigh East. A lot of B grade properties on the market atm. Not so appealing to OO.

Zyzz likes this.
  20. altec

altec Member

Anyone buying in Berwick Minta, any insights? It seems they’re having a sale right now. Not sure if they’re good stock.