South East Brisbane development blog

Discussion in 'Development' started by melbourne171, 9th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

I have posted my recent purchase and development progress/issues in different threads. Now I start posting all the progress status and concerned issues in this topic.

Purchase:
    house built in 1970s on 800+sqm block, contract signed in September 2016
    Where: South East Brisbane, 5km from CBD
    Plan: to split the block into 2 and build high-end modern 2 level homes OR reno and sell if council refuse our plans
    Cost: $700k for the site, $1m for the construction, 65k subdivision
    End Value: $2+m

Shared Driveway issue has been posted in this thread:
    Share driveway for splited blocks

Relocation of street crossing in this thread:
    costs to relocate street crossing and traffic sign

Stormwater:
    Get neigbour permission for stormwater connection

Backup strategies:
    What are options if cannot do subdivision in Brisbane?

Last edited: 9th Nov, 2016
  2. melbourne171

The prelodgement meeting with Council was on last Tuesday. The Council requires:

1. Use existing driveway as a share driveway with an easement allowing car turn around to drive out the driveway.

2. Due to subjecting to the overland flow overlay, Small lot house DA application demonstrating how house plans immune the overland flow land to be lodged together with the Reconfiguration 1-2 lot application.

3. If the stormwater is in my block, it is a win. It appears to be on my block.

Next steps:

1. Seek an architect/building designer to assist small lot house design application.
    2. Brainstorm the preferred house designs and give them to architect so that he can assist.

Questions:

1. My preferred plans are as follows. What do you think about them? Any changes to make them better?

Lower Level.JPG
    Uppler Level.JPG
    2. My preferred frontages. How are they? Your opinions?
    frontage1.JPG frontage2.JPG frontage3.JPG Lower Level.JPG Uppler Level.JPG
    frontage1.JPG
    frontage2.JPG
    frontage3.JPG

Last edited: 9th Nov, 2016
    Leo Liu, MTR, Tranquilo and 1 other person like this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Congrats on the deal mate . 700k for the land is a good price if it's 5km from the CBD. Out of all the front elevation designs you chose I like the first one best . If you can, try to get 3 levels, the very top 1 recessed back so technically not 3 levels but in reality it is. What internal living space you going for ?

Also when you say 2mil plus end value, we talking 2.5? 2.2?

melbourne171 and Mustafa Salehi like this.
  4. melbourne171

Hi Leo

Thanks for your feedback.

I got that price because of structural defects. 4 concrete stumps cracked. The house looks old. I have hired a builder to restump the house and done some fixings before renting it out for the cash flow purpose.

I like your idea of 3 level house. However, my block is very flat. BCC may not allow 3 level on my block. I will ask architect if this can be achievable.

What do you means internal living space? There is a family room upstairs. Is that what you mean?

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Technically it won't be 3 levels as the 3rd level can be recessed back, similar to my south Brisbane splitter thread design . Internal living space I mean habitable space. Im guessing you're going for around 280-300sqm.

6. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

Great stuff ! agree with @Leo2413 , I'd also be going with frontages 1 or 2 - avoid the pitched roof line. The plans look to be getting a lot or living/beds for the footprint... what sizes are the 2-4th bedrooms ? Have you consider deleting the media downstairs and increasing the living (looks a bit compromised to me ) You could then consider rotating the kitchen so it looks out to the rear and adding some functional store/utility/butlers pantry space behind ? . You already have a 2nd living space for separation upstairs so your ticking all the boxes.

looking forward to following this, thanks for sharing

Mustafa Salehi likes this.
  7. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Is it in a character overlay? Most are in East Brisbane and if it is none of these front elevations will be allowed.

willair likes this.
  8. melbourne171

Thanks RPI

My architect also mentioned about this. There are a lot character house restriction in this area. He said that one of his client's plans was rejected because it is too modern.

9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I like 1 or 2.
    Except no1 with less garage. It's a bit to much

10. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I like 3. Very similar to my PPOR, in terms of the use of vertical weatherboard and the cantelevered room over the garage.

11. melbourne171

I have just come back from Brisbane.

My property is on a suburban road (just 1 lane each direction but still busy). As the property has not rented out, I decided to stay in this property one night and could not sleep because of the traffic noise. I am now worried that this will impact on the development product's end value. There is no point to create a high end product but no one is interested in buying it because of traffic noise.

Solutions
    :

1. Build a house with sound insulation construction materials i.e Hebel walls (A sound solution for a rail corridor | CSR Hebel). Required to do research on this material costs and get architect consultation. Are any other construction materials recommended?

2. Erect a high Hebel/brick fence. It may not much help but reduce the noise. the Council may not like a high fence as most surrounding houses' fences are very low.

3. Double glazing for all doors and windows (Add On Double Glazing - Stop Noise)

4. Tile roof. This may not help at all. It costs more and the house does not look modern.

5. Talk to architect to ensure a good acoustic design. For example, place the master bedroom and other bedroom at the rear and lower level. Multiple partitions between rooms to stop sound from the front street.

6. Carefully design the building on the site. Use frontage with appropriate angles.

7. Reduce the sizes of windows in the walls which face to the road.

Last edited: 13th Nov, 2016
  12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Definitely double glazing.
    A high fence will only protect the lower level which from your photos is the garage and door, so probably wasted.
    Marg

Mustafa Salehi and melbourne171 like this.
  13. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

Double glazing can be very effective , as a thought maybe relocate the robes in bed 4 to front wall to provide better insulation to that room ?

14. RPI

1. character area so can't use hebel

2. character area so can't use hebel

3. no issue

4. character area so can't use tile

5. good idea

6. character area so need to address the street correctly

7. character area so will need to be careful

melbourne171 likes this.
  15. melbourne171

Thanks RPI. Your comments are very helpful.

Can double brick are used for walls?

16. RPI

Rendered to the lower level if the top level has a front verandah hanging over the lower level

Possibly more than that if you can counteract with more character elements

17. melbourne171

My IP is in Camp Hill on a main road. In your opinion, what types of house design and budget should I aim for?

I heard that high end product can achieve high end value in South East suburbs. However, can it achieve if the houses on a main road?

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Personally I would try to keep them as modern as the codes will allow. Still higher end however you need to keep that main road in mind . Look for simple type stock on a main road to get an idea of end value and factor in that reduction in price due to the main road .

I wouldnt over think it too much . Just look for comparables on a main road. Try to use some sound reduction construction solutions as well. See what the numbers look like once you have some realistic end stock comparables then let that reality guide your construction costs/spec level. As long as you don't need to deviate too much from what the demographic wants and the numbers still make sense, should be ok.

my 2 cents.

19. melbourne171

Just want to get your opinion on my design ideas:

Requirements
    • Two storage house, double garage, 4 bedrooms, master bed room with an ensuite, and open space living.
    • Living area between 270-310sqm
    • Urban modern design
    • High end product meeting the Camp Hill suburb demographic demands
    • The property is located on a high traffic road and impact by traffic noise. It is desirable that a good acoustic design and construction material/techniques are used.
    • Budget $350,000-$400,000 per dwelling
    • Two dwellings can be the similar design but mirror each other. As the Eastern lot pad area is smaller, the dwelling on this lot can be on stumps or be cut the corner.

Design notes for ground floor

• The stairscase on the right side allows to maximise space usage on the right of upper level.
    • The kitchen butler and laundry are designed to maximise space usage and make the kitchen feel more spacy.
    • The auto door after the entrance door to reduce the traffic noise entering into the living areas.
    • L sharpe meal area allows to dwelling sit on the filled pad land required by flood report.
    Small lot house design grd floor.jpg

Kitchen
    The kitchen looks spacy due to long bench and cabinets
    Small lot house design - kitchen.jpg

Design notes for upper floor

• Family room, bath room and toilet which can tolerate to the traffic noise are located in the front as noise reduction barriers whereas master bed room and other bedrooms is relocated at rear.
    • Master bedroom with a desk to look over a pool and garden
    • Small windows or no windows in the frontage to minimize the traffic noise
    • Desk in the frontage can be an effective noise reduction barrier.
    • Staircases on the right to maximise the spaces for bedrooms.
    Small lot house design - upper floor.jpg

Potential city view from master bedroom

Small lot house design - master bedroom.jpg

Small lot house design -elevation.jpg

20. melbourne171

Contour and detail survey has booked for 21 /11.
    After that, wait for architect put drawings on the plans.