South Brisbane Splitter development

Discussion in 'Development' started by Sackie, 1st Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I like it! Nice and big

I'll have a crack at a suggestion or two
    • Outside kitchen/bar area? Atleast run water out there for future use or general hosing
    • Being in brissy and a big flash place, I'd think "professional" types living there and more office or desk space could be nice. Downstairs perhaps the linen can be a study nook with phone/power outlets and upstairs where the desk is, extend the walls out another metre (or so) to give it a deeper feel and privacy -mini office
    • I'll keep thinking
    :)

Sackie likes this.
  2. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Nice Leo. Have you considered some storage at the lower level off the garage? Seems a lot of space wasted in the entry, but thats part of your void impact.
    Media room seems small. Study nook?
    My sister has a similar concept house on the hill in Windsor (Bne) and a lot of space taken up with stairs. Her top floor (living) can be opened up one end to the other, with great views of the city. Wonder if you can play with the media room (movable walls) and move BP and link to an external rear deck as well? Not much connection to the rear of the property in this plan.

Sackie and bob shovel like this.
  3. bob shovel

@chindonly
    Spin the pantry to increase the opening
    The garage retaining wall pushed back 0.5-1m to get storage along the back wall. May be expensive with extra earth works for a cupboard though

Sackie and chindonly like this.
  4. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Or bring the garage fwd as its already under the deck.
    Or put storage under the stairs, but not sure how its constructed.

Sackie and bob shovel like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@bob shovel agree with you mate. The outside kitchen area is something we really want, or at least the connections for bbq and water. I am making a list of things to discuss with the architect and this is one of them mate. Also like you said I would like there to be a larger office space so I’ll be bringing that up too. Not sure about making the linen downstairs into a study nook though. But I like the idea od extending the wall a little to give the desk area a larger feel, but then that would sacrifice some oft he WIL space. Thanks for your suggestions mate. Once I get my list from all of you guys suggestions, I will run them past my REA who knows the demographic in the area well and see what’s his take and then we'll take that list back to the architect for discussion/ changes to these concepts. Thanks mate.

Thanks @chindonly. With regards to your ideas, yes we would like some storage in the garage itself on the walls as well as when you walk inside the doors, the wall to the left to have some wall table with drawers and a mirror, or something along those lines.. just not sure yet, but I like you idea to use that area. I don't think the media room is too bad actually.. its just under 14sqm and I have compared it to comparable media rooms in similar type developments in the area and it comes in just under...by about 1sqm I think.. so should be ok. But well have another look it. With regards to top floor living opening up, I think its very similar to this one. The middle level, that sliding door opens completely leading out the entertainment area and that whole area is facing the views. Also when the sliding doors are open, it should give a feeling of huge space.. from the entertainment area all the way back to the media room is open. That’s the reason why we dont have an amazing back area that leads to a garden. We have put that in the front of the house to capture the views. But I do want to have a nice garden too, so I need to talk to them about making that area more open leading to the garden. The problem is the slope of the site is like 10 meters.... so we are trying to avoid too much retaining wall. I am so conscious of the budget on this one... we really need to stay within budget otherwise we could lose profits and not necessarily add value... a little tricky to get the balance. But I agree with you @chindonly that if we can play with the media room and link it to an external rear deck with a decent level garden.. that would be perfect! Best of rear and front of the house.... it will all come down to the budget. We feel its better to sacrifice some space in order to keep all the specs high and not some medium some high.. At least that’s the feedback from the REAs.

Thanks again for the feedback guys. Any more is great! Helps a lot!

Cheers

Edit: yes guys, i have 'storage under stairs' on my list to bring up. Thanks

So tired right now.. havent slept in like 24 hours.. and I need to wake up in 6 hours to met the builder on site for parramatta duplex...

Last edited: 11th Feb, 2016
    bob shovel likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I dont really love the facade on the top level... seems kinda plain to me.. maybe i'm just nit picking.. I took a pic from a 3D image so you can see. Also gives you an idea of the contours we have to work with.

3d1.JPG

7. bob shovel

I was thinking extend into the sitting. Or even look into assisting the sitting /study nook to be more user friendly. Those sitting areas up stairs can often be "dead areas" unpractical to use (I've never lived in 2story but what I've seen). Ask the REA what they have seen or think. Open office /sitting room somehow. Or theatre, media thingo?

Also the top floor won't be that visible from the street, that last 3d is from "birds eye level", the first lot are from "human eye level" if anything maybe just get the windows to the bathroom changed, something taller. Plus take in the views, unlikely people will see in from the street. Frosted or mirrored glass to shower and see whatever is out there. Floor to ceiling glass from the ensuite would be cool!

One other thing... Can the area above the garage be used as a deck?? If there's views take advantage
    Second thing... Can the whole top floor be shifted forwards over the garage (heavier beams reqd etc) but that way get a deck or the front and rear, which could be incorporated with stairs down to the back yard? This would also make the top level more visible from the street (may have been the original idea to hide it??) to show the real size of the house

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

[QUObob shovel, post: 159017, member: 88"]I was thinking extend into the sitting. Or even look into assisting the sitting /study nook to be more user friendly. Those sitting areas up stairs can often be "dead areas" unpractical to use (I've never lived in 2story but what I've seen). Ask the REA what they have seen or think. Open office /sitting room somehow. Or theatre, media thingo? Yes mate I'm definitely going to discuss that and you said, use the upstairs living space as efficiently as possible and we gotta get a bigger office for sure.

Also the top floor won't be that visible from the street, that last 3d is from "birds eye level", the first lot are from "human eye level"
    Yes mate they tell me the same thing. .can't be seen that much from street level...I just don't like it 100% but I can see they want to save cost there which makes sense.

if anything maybe just get the windows to the bathroom changed, something taller. Great idea bob!. My partner had a similar suggestion.

Plus take in the views, unlikely people will see in from the street. Yes true that's why he didn't bother too much with it.

Frosted or mirrored glass to shower and see whatever is out there. Floor to ceiling glass from the ensuite would be cool!
    I agree! I'm gonna try and see :).

One other thing... Can the area above the garage be used as a deck?? If there's views take advantage. It's a great idea and I have it written down. .just worried it will start to get the budget away from us.

Second thing... Can the whole top floor be shifted forwards over the garage (heavier beams reqd etc) but that way get a deck or the front and rear, which could be incorporated with stairs down to the back yard? This would also make the top level more visible from the street (may have been the original idea to hide it??) to show the real size of the house
    Really not sure how this will affect the cost but I'll see what they say as I like the idea too.

@bob shovel thanks for all your suggestions and input mate. Really appreciate it! Off to bed now...can barely keep my eyes open
    [/QUOTE]

bob shovel likes this.
  9. bob shovel

Front deck... Should just be a hand rail and finishing the floor? Not sure what's there I assume concrete and drainage of some sort. But will add costs of course

Shifting the top floor will requiring extra engineering and more steel/concrete in the garage, plus extra deck out the back . It may be the old bathroom Reno situation, "moving plumbing costs money "... But a few $hundred could make it heaps more awesome! Getting your money back easily on amazing changes

It may also be the street view impact,council may not like it so big

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Is there anyway to interact more with the rear garden from the middle level - hard to tell what level the rear land is but I'm guessing the curvy walls are 2 terraces up. Normally with an undercroft garage like that you'd be also able to use the rear garden from the next level more

I love the front entertaining area, I just think you'd need the rear garden as well

Agree with somehow using the space under the stairs or something else as store room from garage - somewhere for bikes, lawnmower etc to go

I've just started looking

Last edited: 12th Feb, 2016
    Sackie likes this.
  11. bob shovel

Could you get a 3d shot of the rear yard looking in from the side to see what's going on
    sketch-1455220503002.jpg

I think it could be a tricky spot given the retaining walls and rear wall of the house. There won't be a lot of direct sun in. Plus the retaining walls at the rear.
    _20160212_040305.JPG
    The main focus is the front deck, but I agree the media/kitchen still needs to be "opened up" more - it could also be an optical illusion the way it's been drawn, dark lines for the rear door and the way the couches sit may close it in more than it will be. Even possibly shrink the pantry 200-300mm to make the walkway a bit wider.

Sackie likes this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

HI @bob shovel, When you say the front deck , you mean if we go out onto the roof of the middle level? I am going to discuss the possibilities to make that outside area functional but I think it’s going to be light weight so I am not sure how load bearing weight will affect it and cost. Also I think the roof on the right house is not flat but at an angle too.

With regards to shifting the top level forward, I think the costs will make it unfeasible but I have a strong feeling it’s designed this way because council don’t want such a big looking structure right at the front. But like you said if we move it to the front then the back needs to have some decking, more costs. It just won't be feasible...But ultimately I think it’s a town planning design restriction. Also Bob when you mean floor to ceiling glass for ensuite, you mean something like the picture attached below right?

Agree @Westminster. There needs to be decent acces to a rear garden from the middle level. I think considering the demographic, it doesnt have to be a huge garden (which is the feedback the REAs have given me too) but it has to be decent. When I meet with the architect on Monday it will be at the top of my agenda. I've attached a 3D pic so it gives you an idea of the slopeage we have to deal with. I think it most likely will have to be a siimlar design as @bob shovel has drawn. If you have any ideas re that please let me know.

Also re using space under stairs.. I was thinking is there a way we can do it so it doesn't look cluttered and has the elegant and 'wow' look. I attached a pic of the similar look/feeling we are trying to create and don't want it to look cluttered though..

Thanks guys for your feeback. Please keep em coming.

Some more 3Ds guys.

3d1.JPG

3d2.JPG

3d3.JPG

3d3.JPG
    3d4.JPG

3d5.JPG

3d6.JPG

3d7.JPG

Edit: Spoke to the architect and he said the builder has some good ideas about the rear garden design concepts and will model them for us on Monday. Hopefully it will look nice. Also the top level has to be recessed back as they wont allow 3 levels. Technically we wont have 3 levels on top of each other with this design :)

bob shovel and Phantom like this.
  13. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good.. about on par for the upper demographic of the area. Initially I thought your end-value may be a little high for the area, but if things keep moving by the time you are finished they will probably align.

I agree on looking over the flat "dead space" from the 2nd level may be disengaging.. especially if it will have a good view. If you can do anything there may make it a bit nicer.

With the driveway, I have no idea of council requirements, but the tapered driveway looks like a pain if you had two cars in curving back to get out. Maybe there will be no choice.

As a professional in the area who never has enough hours in the day, yes, just some basic courtyard to sit in, and some reasonable landscaping, but nothing too extravagant garden wise. Most won't have time to maintain a large garden.. I have a large one and its a pain in the butt to keep on track. Would rate less garden in future purchase as a plus (for me anyway!).

Some decisions will depend also on if you are targeting families with children as well, enclosed areas, play area, etc.

Observer, Sackie and bob shovel like this.
  14. bob shovel

Crazy idea...sorry o keep adding to the cost!

That middle level concrete area is massive and wouldn't be too attractive left as is looking out.
    Turning into a usable area shouldn't be hard and can't imagine blowing the cost, human traffic plus some furniture isn't a huge load.

Idea.... A spiral staircase (or similar) from the middle deck to the top proposed deck! That's a huge dance floor up there!

And yes for the glass, if the view is good go bigger windows ( with blinds inside of course)

15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I have 5 terraces out the back of my house so I understand the pain :) I have more bricks in retaining walls than my 2 storey house but it is doable to create some living space at the rear that interacts with the house.
    We made the second terrace quite wide - about 4m deep then the terraces above that are the normal 1m deep ones.

Sackie likes this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks for your feedback @gman65. I have on the agenda to try and maximise the views from the top level as much as possible. I think you meant top level and not second level right? Regarding tapered driveway I am not sure but I think its a TP issue (could be wrong) but I’ll mention it on Monday. Great feedback re being a professional in the area and garden size. It's pretty much what most of the feedback from REAs is on that. My plan is to discuss it on Monday with the idea to make it neat, functional and maybe a small 'wow' factor with something (any CHEAP ideas would be great).Thanks again mate.:)

@bob shovel you love adding costs for me dont ya :p nah jk. I hear ya regarding trying to use the space coming out from the top level of the second level. Its on the agenda for Monday. Re staircase... you mean from the second deck to top? i'm not sure what if its needed though..cant they just go back in the house and take the stairs they are paying top dollar for...:D Love all the feedback mate. Thanks!

@Westminster Its a pain...and a worry to be honest. The major semi unknown factor will be the actual costs of the retaining... we have a decent idea though. But your all right, there has to be a garden and hopefully their ideas on Monday will be good.

bob shovel likes this.
  17. bob shovel

Haha but then the revellers have to go through the bedroom to get outside.

Will they do the the retain wall first? It would be easier for access, plusukeep the "pain in the a tax down"! The buillder /drafty will know what's best for the site and materials.

I'd think Concrete filled bessa blocks then rendered perhaps. <1.5m doesn't need to be engineered but given the site it probably will need to regardless. Some thing like 1.5m up, 1m back, 3 times? The 1m will be enough for low maintenance gardens (include some hidden steps for maintenance somewhere). Hopefully something like that will push the courtyard out as much as practicable ;) plus keep the costs down in the wall construction

Is it rock on the site? Have you had a geotech look?

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

bob shovel, post: 159358, member: 88"]Haha but then the revellers have to go through the bedroom to get outside. I'm not following you here..what bedroom to get outside where mate..

Will they do the the retain wall first? It would be easier for access, plusukeep the "pain in the a tax down"! The buillder /drafty will know what's best for the site and materials. I am not sure if they will do the retaining first mate. I'll ask. Me no builder. :)

I'd think Concrete filled bessa blocks then rendered perhaps. <1.5m doesn't need to be engineered but given the site it probably will need to regardless. Some thing like 1.5m up, 1m back, 3 times? The 1m will be enough for low maintenance gardens (include some hidden steps for maintenance somewhere). Hopefully something like that will push the courtyard out as much as practicable ;) plus keep the costs down in the wall construction Awesome suggestion, I have just tabled it. ;)

Is it rock on the site? Have you had a geotech look?

Geo did boreholes and as far as we can tell from that report there was no rock that would impact us at the depth we need. But of course they won’t know 100% until they start digging i assume. Because the geo testing is only a limited amount of spots...so if there is rock that is irregularly shaped then start counting $$$.:eek:

19. bob shovel

We'll get there!
    Did a quick sketch to show what I'm dribbling. Your drafty will hate me!
    sketch-1455250513072.jpg sketch-1455250461739.jpg

There's likely a council issue with a dance floor up top, the visuals from the street.
    A Glass railing around the top could be expensive

Sackie likes this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@bob shovel Personally i like it for my ppor, but I dont think it can be viable for this project mate... the costs..and not sure about the TP aswell.. but thanks!

btw... dance floor..middle deck..top deck....starting to sound like a ship! :D

Observer and bob shovel like this.