Sould we make an offer or forget it?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by seans, 2nd Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. seans

seans Member

Sould we make an offer or forget it? We'd make the offer conditional to a building inspection, but I'm a bit concearned it would be a waste of money because of the cracks, are they likely to be superficial or to indicate a bigger problem?

House is 10 yrs old in Melbournes outter west

Slab, no eaves and no paving around the outer perimiter of the house.

The cracks don't bother me other than the possible structurial flaws they could indicate, I'd worry if the windows started leaking because they've moved too much or the roof tiles get displaced by the structural movement causing leaks there or any other major issues that could be possible.

I haven't seen cracks this bad in a new house so aren't sure if there's something here that's obvious to someone who knows more about what they're looking at, maybe it's not worth getting the report and just skipping the house all together?

We're first home buyers, not interested in a knock down re-build or anything that would need slab repairs/potentially tens to hundreds of thousands in repairs.

Thanks for your help
    Cheers :)

Attached Files:

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Are there any cracks on the outside of the house?

‘Slab heave’ has been a problem in some areas of Melbourne - especially with clay soil.
    (I’m not suggesting that’s what you have - just noting the issue.)

Last edited: 2nd Dec, 2021
    seans likes this.
  3. seans

seans Member

Thanks for the reply :)
    Didn't notice any cracks on the outside but I'd have to do another inspection to be sure

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I would be getting a building inspection or considering opinions of a stabiliation expert...This is why pest and building is important. If they identify structural issues is different to what may otherwise be poor quality gyprock adhesion / screw etc. That is cheap to fix...Movement is different. The cracking around the windows suggests a possible issue with soil / clay. Stabilisation of a slab using injection methods (grout, eurothane etc) isnt that costly... Could also be very poor quality window or framing install.

mainmark Melb
    1800 486 869
    Slabjack etc.....

seans likes this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

But treatment of ‘slab heave’ shouldn’t be by underpinning etc apparently - there is a different method for that.

seans likes this.
  6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Window bottom left & ceiling angle pics are worrying :eek:
    Approach with caution, definitely one I'd be seeking professional advice on ;)

seans likes this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Crap - if the house was 30~40 years old I'd so "no worries". But 10?? o_O

The Y-man

seans likes this.
  8. applesathome

applesathome Well-Known Member

I'd be worried about those on a 10 year old house.

9. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

You haven't made an offer but you have serious concerns ,,,,,,,, go with your gut, it is usually right and even if it isn't there will be a better option popping up soon.

10. seans

seans Member

Thanks for all the replies, they helped clear my head and I'm happy to say we passed on that house.