Sometimes its not just about the money

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by MTR, 11th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I understand we are all here to learn and work on building/creating wealth, but perhaps sometimes we should throw caution to the wind and enjoy the moment. Spend and live a little and I am not talking about being reckless with money.

I know an investor who lives a miserable life, saving every penny, their tenants are living a better life, makes little sense to me.

No point making money if you are not enjoying some of the spoils today and you certainly cant take it with you.

MTR:)

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Agree with this. We are heading off for eight weeks in Europe and the USA. We couldn't afford this sort of holiday when we were younger. Our kids thought a good holiday was a week at the coast until we took them to LA and San Fran ten years ago. The impetus for that trip was a mammogram scare for me. It wasn't cancer, but it made me think about spending some of the money we'd worked so hard to accumulate.

We went to Europe for our 25th wedding anniversary and now we will be in Paris for our 30th anniversary.

It is hard to let go and spend sometimes. I want to have enough for us to live comfortably into our older years and I think we've hit a good balance. And of course, we never know if we will reach the older years so it is time to live a little.

Foxy Moron, THX, sanj and 11 others like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Grea
    Great
    San Fran amazing

4. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

I would agree. I have always been fairly frugal on things like cars, homes, and expensive 'Toys' but always been prepared to spend on experiences like holidays.

willair, MTR and Jess Peletier like this.
  5. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Have they said their life is miserable, or is that the perception you have of the way they live?

Ace in the Hole likes this.
  6. Bounce

Bounce Well-Known Member

For me having recently lost everything due to bad investing it is definitely not about the money anymore! Luckily I traveled a lot in my younger years! camping will now be my favorite activity lol

MTR likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

They have mentioned selling their properties due to the stress, ie tenants and finances are tight.

Also mentioned whether the sacrifice and pain was worth it....considering the amount of properties they would need to own vs the income required

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

That does sound miserable

9. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm a scrooge, but luckily I have a wife who reminds me that there's no point in being old and rich if you don't make the most of the experiences you could have when you're young(ish).

It makes for a nice balance.

MTR likes this.
  10. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Have not worked out how to enjoy the spoils as yet - this is due to a combination of private school fees and an expanding portfolio.

Agree in general that enjoying some of it is the way to go.

MTR likes this.
  11. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Agree with @MTR . I also believe that actually enjoying the spoils along the way can lead to you making more money due to motivation to keep doing what you enjoy. For me I'm heavily family and lifestyle driven and I keep aside a decent amount from every "win" to be as entirely frivolous as I wish. Between 2 long haul and about 6 SEA holidays, rent and my generally slightly indulgent lifestyle I would've spent well over 200k of after tax dollars just in 2014 alone and don't regret any of it. Got to live where I had wanted to ever since I moved to perth in 1997, had amazing experiences locally and overseas I'll cherish for a long time and most importantly got to help out some people close to me.

It's only money and we're pretty damn fortunate to live in a country with a lot more opportunities than people willing to take them.

Phantom, Property Twins, MTR and 2 others like this.
  12. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I believe it's their attitude rather than their situation which makes them miserable.
    There would be plenty of people with positive attitudes who would love to be in their current position.
    Those with negative attitudes generally play the victim, even if they are doing ok.

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

In this case it's about not balancing lifestyle vs financial planning/investments

14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I lashed out on Maccas tonight.

Topped it off with a 30c soft serve ice cream cone ( I plonked 50c on the counter and told the kid to keep the change).

A bit of extravagance every now and then makes one feel wonderful.

Perthguy, RenegadeDom and VB King like this.
  15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Totally. You can't take it with you.
    I get "delayed gratification" as a strategy while you save for deposits early on, or pay off a PPoR, but I reckon there's no point to it all if you don't enjoy it. Go on a holiday, buy an impractical car, start a home business, write that novel... we're all put here for a reason, and it's not to work our whole lives, die and leave it all to the kids.

legallyblonde, MTR and Sackie like this.