Somebody is doing a flip near me in Marrickville

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Depreciator, 27th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Flips wont make any sense in Australia when markets turn.. Just watch what happens in the very near future TV shows. Making a prediction and I could be wrong, but we wont see too many of these in Oz on Oz property.

They don't work well in Australia unless rising market because the costs kill investors, stamp duty, selling costs and CGT. Its not fair, if Government got rid of stamp duty we would have half a chance. In US they work well in all conditions because there is no stamp duty, CGT is not an issue if you continually buy.

MTR:)

2. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, absolutely, holding costs will hurt.

Problem you really want to have this sold late November, everyone has checked out at this time of the year.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

And they're using an out of area agent. Doing it right again.....not!

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Are you serious? Wow, they dont have time to get it wrong....
    dont sound too savvy, makes me wonder if they have it listed at the right price

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

upload_2017-12-14_20-28-18.png

Plenty of agents alot closer to Marrickville

7. Depreciator

I recall they mentioned when I spoke to them that lived over that way, so the agent might be a mate and doing a special deal on the comm. The agent is quoting $1.34m. The profit margin is getting skinnier for the flippers. I hope they get rid of it before Christmas, but it's looking unlikely - after this weekend people's heads will have shifted.

8. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I was wondering why the initial link wasn't working...and oh no they've gone with Harris Partners who are the non typical 'Jenman model' agents in the area. In my experience, not who you'd want to go with.

Tidy reno though, I would have probably left the attic alone since its really only practical for storage (you go up there and no one below can get through the hallway) & given the windows some nice blinds/sheer curtains to hide the converted aluminium frames.

The styling, marketing and agent fees are going to be eating further into their profit margin. Interested to see the end result.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

any updates @Depreciator, watching this one closely. I believe this will be a lesson on how to get it so wrong, ie timing and feaso....I could be wearing egg on my face, I hope so. I hate seeing investors losing money.

MTR:)

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

The attic would be the perfect place to 'retreat' to on a 36 degree day....not!

Poppy likes this.
  11. Depreciator

It's still for sale. This property in the same street exchanged yesterday at $1.525m:

52 Renwick Street, Marrickville, NSW 2204 - Property Details

- Unrenovated, but tidy.
    - Better section of the street.
    - Parking, but only for a very tiny car, so that's a bit of hoax.
    - Similar size land
    - Freestanding vs attached
    - 3 beds vs 2

The buyers of that house yesterday would have looked at the one down the street. They would have decided the better position + freestanding + extra bedroom more than compensate for the lack of reno.

Scott

12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I converted a similar 14 sqm attic in one of my IPs in the Inner West a few yrs ago (think I spent $15K fully lined, floored, skylit and joists reinforced) and it, without a shadow of a doubt, lifted the rent by at least $150 pw.

We can't/don't sell the space in the ad as a bedroom but people perceive things in different ways.

And yes, the ladder opens up to the hallway.

13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I would't pay anywhere near $1.5m but would have picked this one too. Bedrooms and parking (even for just a Mini Cooper) are much more important than a renovated joint (with a bedroom less).

And for $1.52m, further proof that the market's not dead yet.

Re: number 70, I think the problem with that one is intertwined with the renovation itself....which lacks a bit of, I don't know, taste...from the windows to the front door. Not what Inner West trendies pay a premium for.

Last edited: 19th Dec, 2017
  14. Depreciator

Three months ago at auction, I reckon it would have gone for $1.6m. There were only a couple of contracts out and the owner wisely took a pre auction offer. It was a good decision with Christmas so close.

15. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Re: number 70, I think the problem with that one is intertwined with the renovation itself....which lacks a bit of, I don't know, taste...from the windows to the front door. Not what Inner West trendies pay a premium for.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the facade is a bit Cherie. A more classic terrace look would have been better.

But inside is very nice. Very livable

16. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I just think they made the mistake of picking the middle ground between a cheap tart up vs going all the way.

Personally, I would have chosen the former 9 times out of 10. $15-$20K reno, done (aside from the fact that I never would've tried flipping this in the first place).

New Town likes this.
  17. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

No, im all for the cheap tart up. Once you involve Councils and architects ur in for a world of hurt

18. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

The prob with cheap tart up on a $1m flip is the end buyer isn't going to pay any more. I've done cheap cosmetic on $150k studios (back when they were $150k eek) and that's worked well.

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

All is forgiven in a booming market..... problem is the tide has changed

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Any updates on this one?