NSW somebody dumped items in my storage - strata said just put up a notice to be removed

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Cbarchangela, 9th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Cbarchangela

Cbarchangela Active Member

We've just moved into our unit and found out we have a lock-up storage area (yipee), however when i got there, the door lock isn't working and i found there is a huge TV unit (old and heavy style) and a bunch of big doona left in there collecting dust. I can only think of a few possibilities:

- previous owner dumped them there as they couldn't be bothered taking unused stuff with them
    - my old tenant dumped them as well
    - some occupier in the complex thinks it's a spare storage and used it to their hearts content.

I contacted strata and they said just put up the notice at the door to trigger them that i'd throw them out. My question is: shouldnt at least strata sends an email to all the occupiers, tenants, real estate agents managing the tenants and tell them to remove if it belongs to any of them?

secondly the TV is huge and heavy (old style, not flat TV) that I need an (strong guy) airtasker to remove them (which i dont know where i should dump it anyway?). It'll cost me money to hire an airtasker too! I have no gents in the house sorry i'm a single mum.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Yep unfortunately rubbish left behind by previous occupants is a pain. Normally, you hope to pick these up on final inspection and get the previous owner to remove, or get a monetary adjustment made. Unfortunately, if you have already settled (assuming you are new owner - not tenant) probably not a lot you can do other than pay for rubbish removals.

The Y-man

wylie and Blueskies like this.
  3. Cbarchangela

Yeah and unfortunately we settled two years and a month ago lol. Then it went straight to be rented out. I dont think it's my old (and only one) tenant as i wasn't aware there was a storage area and didn't tell my managing agent back then (unless they found out about it). Most likely is the previous owner I could see they couldn't be bothered fixing a couple of things.

4. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

This happens all the time - we have Tenants of Outside Agents left behind all sorts of things, including a big old Queen mattress, broken cupboards, shoe racks...... ! We the Onsite Managers are the one that have to deal with it. We told the Owners but I suspect they think we are a nuisance, instead of their PM not doing a proper job in the exit procedure........

Your Strata Company is probably also tired of this. Yes, the right thing to do is to email everyone. But how many people would get that email, just because one or two persons not doing the right thing? After all, it looks like it has been a long time already and nobody has come to claim it. I think the idea of a Notice is good, and you discharge your responsibility. Note the Strata Company might charge for this task too.....

5. Cbarchangela

what if i just print out several copies of the notice and put them into each unit's letter box? It's just less confronting lol. Plus the storage is at the back of the complex. I can put it up in each entry door... but maybe people wont get the message. urgh.

6. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

If it's in your EUA (Exclusive Use Area), dump it. Nobody has any right, nor are you obligated to find out who did what or why. As a rule of thumb, if the cost of removing, storing and selling the goods would be greater than the amount raised in the sale of the goods as such all abandoned goods have been disposed of, you have little to be concerned with. Also, in this day and age and the way the "legal system" works, you're better off being a defendant..

MRO, Ted Varrick and Stoffo like this.
  7. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

:p

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If they've dumped them as opposed to "storing" them, then a letter is not going to do anything.

I'd pay someone to dump them. Airtasker?

9. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

If the door lock was broken anyone could have placed it there, and it was probably just dumped ,
    Id be surprised if even the managing agent knew it existed, we only found out 12 months after we purchased and the selling agent did not even know as it was being sold by a bank.
    We only found out after a strata AGM when we met some of the other owners and it came up in conversation, it was full of crap that we took down to the tip.
    Its in a separate locked room within the common areas but with no signage.
    Many owners constantly leave stuff out side their locker (mattresses,old tvs and other bulky stuff, but in the "locked storage room"
    Every 6-12 months strata send out and email saying this is not allowed and owners have one month to move it into their locker or get rid of it by x date or it will be disposed of.
    Area gets cleaned out , then 12 months later it all starts again. This happens every year.
    Most owners now know just to leave it there and strata will eventually throw it away.
    Just make sure your name is not all over it.

Last edited: 9th Jan, 2019
  10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

What TV ?....I didnt see a TV. Or anything else. It was here and then it disappeared. Someone must have taken it before I locked it up.

KayTea, Archaon and neK like this.
  11. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Contact your OC Committee and get them to organise a Council Cleanup.

Then dump it.

12. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Put an ad in your local marketplace for free items and someone might collect it.

Archaon likes this.
  13. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I don't think this has anything to do with strata. Find a nice teenage neighbour to help take it out for council cleanup!

14. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

advertise it for free on a buy/swap/sell

KayTea likes this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.