Some Housing States/Population Distribution

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 3rd Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thought this was interesting (data from Matusik)
    Heading should read: Housing Stats

Average Australian household size:

1984 2.84 people per home
    1989 2.78
    1996 2.63
    1999 2.60
    2004 2.53
    2010 2.57
    2016 2.60

Yep, increasing and not falling, as often reported. Need to build fewer dwellings per capita in the future.

Typical household make-up (2016):

Empty houses

Couples (no children at home)
    26%

People living alone
    24%

50%

Crowded homes

Couples with their kids at home
    28%

Single parent with their kids at home
    6%

Multiple generations in same home
    13%

Unrelated groups
    3%

50%

We have a very polarised demographic – half of us live as singles or couples and the other 50% live in increasingly crowded homes.

Housing types (2016):

Detached houses

71%

Semi-detached (townhouses mostly)
    13%

Apartments
    14%

Other (Caravans, tents)
    2%

The ‘townhouse’ market has grown a big 61% in size since 2006. The new apartment market – whilst getting a lion’s share of the property promotional space – has only increased by some 138,000 new digs over the past ten years. Overall, this market hasn’t gained market share. It remains at 14%.

Population distribution*

Inner city (under 5km from GPO)

18%

Middle-ring (5km to 20km from GPO)

42%

Outer suburbs (20km+ from GPO)

40%

Population growth (last decade)*

Inner city (under 5km from GPO)
    19%

Middle-ring (5km to 20km from GPO)
    35%

Outer suburbs (20km+ from GPO)
    46%

*Total for Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth (combined, they hold 70% of Australia’s population).

Many of us live some distance from the tall things downtown and it appears most want to live a suburban setting, rather than a very urban one.

Last edited: 3rd Oct, 2017
    JL1 and Pumpkin like this.
  2. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    "Many of us live some distance from the tall things downtown and it appears most want to live a suburban setting, rather than a very urban one".

Definitely. Personally I would prefer to live in a house 20km from the CBD instead of a townhouse or apartment 5km from the CBD. For the first time apartments took over houses as the most constructed dwelling recently. This is probably a trend that will increase in the future, particularly with townhouses. As a result I expect houses will continue to experience greater capital growth in comparison to apartments/townhouses in the future.

ollidrac nosaj and Lions4Eva like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

It does not surprise me that the townhouse market has grown by 61% since 2006.
    This product provides buyers opportunity to live in desirable location with lower entry costs

Seen this in Melb inner city townhouses very desirable and values continue to rise as this product is in demand

4. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I'd agree with this. We chose a villa/townhouse thing close in over a house on a postage stamp block miles out.

Waaaaaaay better choice!

If done right you get the same amount of property and a similar yard...

Not as good as a house on a large block though....but then again we were FHB and couldn't afford it. Villa was a much better compromise.

Clearly I'm not alone in my thinking

MTR likes this.
  5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Actually the trend is small well appointed houses on small blocks will kill it if near very good infrastructure and transport (i.e. trains).

Does not matter if they are in outer suburbs.

6. AlexV_Sydney

AlexV_Sydney Well-Known Member

there are two facts:
    -houses have greater growth compared to apartments with same distance from CBD
    -the closer home (apartment/house) to CBD, the higher growth (I posted a chart recently)

when you try to mix them, you can't have any valid conclusion. E.g. an apartment close to CBD can have higher growth than house in outer suburbs - I can give you hundreds examples, and vice versa.

I think people don't live in inner-city because of affordability and supply issues. If you organise a poll and assume a person have $5-10M, they would vote they buy/built a house close to CBD and ocean.

7. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

@MTR thanks for sharing, very interesting to see the people per dwelling is going up, especially with the amount of single bedroom apartments under construction. I wonder how much the influence of high prices leading to house sharing plays a role in this, though the "unrelated people living together" stat of 3% indicates not much. Also interesting to see 13% of households have more than 2 generations under one roof.

Anthony Brew and MTR like this.
  8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Our boys will be sharing together with two other friends, and a group of 4 singles can easily afford to pay $500 a week for a townhouse or 4 bedroom house with easy access to Universities and hospitals. The fourth person is a student nurse.

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Four ppl to share rent or purchase a property? If it's the latter then imo its not a good idea...

MTR likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia