Some don'ts as an airbnb landlord...

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Gockie, 8th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

I think rambotrader has had the opposite effect of his intention and increased the chat/ interest of airbnb- I haven't seen this much movement on this forum topic before!

@neK I know you asked Gockie who I'm sure will answer but I would say I spend approximately 2 hours per week managing my one airbnb (I outsource cleaning to a cleaner). This will probably decrease as I have recently discovered smartbnb which automates all your messaging- which is what takes up the most time. (@Gockie - if you haven't come across this yet, look into it, i'm seriously impressed so far!)

Ouchmyknees and neK like this.
  2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@jodes
    So the travel time, meeting tenants, handing them keys, etc - approx 2 hours all up?

(Guessing the cleaner changes sheets / refills toilet paper etc?)

3. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

@neK We have self check-in with a system of lock boxes so no need to do any of that! It works really well as they can check-in whenever and we don't have to worry about waiting for them if they run late.

4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@jodes A system of lock boxes? Sorry, do you mind elaborating?

The thing that pops into my mind is something like this
    [​IMG]

But how would you be able to install these on a unit?
    That's got "I'm airbnb'ing my unit" written all over it.

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've used units like that in Airbnbs. I think it will be quite obvious for a lot of reasons that a unit is Airbnb. I've also seen a padlock type key container, and an electronic device. Although the electronic device potentially has battery issues, it doesn't rely on tenants manually scrambling the code when they have used it. Mechanical combinations may also who wear on well used numbers, especially where push button devices are used.

6. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

@neK We have a two step check-in process.
    1. Locked box with key to security gate in our letter box accessible by code.
    2. Locked box (exactly that one you pictured) attached to our unit.
    It does seem a little clunky having two steps but we a) need people to be able to get through the security gate and b) want to have some safety around it, hence putting in a lock-box (and only having the security gate key in the lock-box).

It's funny you say that it makes airbnb obvious- I think in our instance it's quite well hidden but walking around some suburbs of Melbourne, some apartment buildings have 3 or 4 of those attached to the fence outside- so obvious!!

Cia and legallyblonde like this.
  7. Martin73

Martin73 Well-Known Member

Something like a keyless entry system like this might be a good option for an airbnb setup.

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi @neK... yes, maybe 2 hours a week. Communication wise, I can do it while on the bus or anywhere. I clean the Sydney one myself sometimes but generally I get a cleaner to do that. The Queensland one I have a local lady who lives really close by... she's fantastic!

I have the Queensland one on Airbnb and stayz too so I have to make sure those calendars sync (stayz is not instant bookable).

Keys... Yep. I use a combination lock for key access. All has gone very well from the get go with that and people can checkin late at night, it doesn't matter.

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Thankyou for the smartbnb tip! I've just read good things about it on the airbnb hosts forum and have signed up for an account. :)