Sold my unit .. But buyer can't 'settle'. *HEADACHE*

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by D'Mo, 3rd Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. datto

datto Well-Known Member

D'Mo you could just keep 50% of the deposit. That way you'll only feel half as bad!

D'Mo, legallyblonde and Perthguy like this.
  2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You will probably find that the RE agent is entitled to commission and will be very unlikely to relinquish it. You may also be up for legal costs, so it is likely that there will not be much deposit left.
    Marg

3. D'Mo

D'Mo Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for your input

Update .. Since my lawyer ensured daily interest would be charged, they're miraculously able to get some money and it's possibly being settled tomorrow

I find it amazing that some people like to stall the process or take their time .. I'm kinda mad about that lol

Westminster, Perthguy, Rugrat and 3 others like this.
  4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Some good news.
    Hope it all works out.

5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Things can go wrong, why worry about it, seems it is sorted for both now :)

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My solicitor wants us to settle a day or two early for his personal benefit.... (I havent been told the full reason.... partner said something about surgery... I'm guessing elective).... I don't want to... interest is $150 a day and we cant use the place on Wednesday night anyway because of our volleyball... I chose Thursday because I can use it on the Weekend and if it doesn't settle that day we have Friday up our sleeve... I'd have to probably change instructions to banks too....

I actually wanted the 29th Feb because you can't have that day very often but he was on "holidays"... I personally would have used a different person but my partner wanted to use him. :mad::mad:

Not happy Jan.

7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Surgery sounds like a decent excuse, if he is a solicitor, ask him to pay the interest or reduce his fee if it does not suit you, at least is not a one man band that has decided to go on holidays when the proposed settlement date has been known for 42 days !

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Does he work alone?
    Sounds a bit odd.

9. Gockie

True. I really wanted that date though... he was even telling us stuff like he needed the stamp duty cheque early... (nearly 3 weeks before settlement!) I challenged him on that... he said it was ok to give it to him at settlement when we went to see him in person then 2 weeks later tells us he needs it end of Jan. The stamp duty amount is like my annual salary, and more than a lot of people's salaries.... its a lot of money to hand over... I see the interest lost/ additional interest we are paying because of this...

10. Gockie

Yes. Alone... not happy. I would have gone with another solicitor if it was soley my choice.

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Bugger.
    Well, better early than late :)
    Bet you can't wait!

12. Gockie

Except its no use to me settling on a Wednesday... I wont be able to use it that night... nope. I want Thursday.

And yes... I can be stubborn.

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Is there a reason that I'm missing?
    It's just going to be empty?

Gingin and wylie like this.
  14. Gockie

We play volleyball Wednesday nights... I manage the competition. I cant do anything with it that night. Therefore it will be an extra $150 interest for owning it that night plus council rates etc... having an empty place sitting there worth a bucket load of money even 1 night all costs something when you can't enjoy it. I had optimised the settlement date for my benefit then the solicitor decides he wants to change it.... :mad:
    My Darlington unit I had perfectly chose the right settlement date... settled Friday 5th at the beginning of December, at the start of the peak tourist season in my mind... I worked really hard and got it set up for Airbnb over the weekend... Come Monday the 8th, my first Airbnb guest arrived. Good strong income from virtually day 1. Why pay to own it when you can't make full use of it?

Thursday nights are good for me....

Last edited: 4th Feb, 2016
  15. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Is it worth the headache over 1 day?

16. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Glad you sold your unit Mo. Maybe you can buy more in Brisbane now?

17. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

You should have taken the money to fund your music business. Then given him tickets so you didn't feel bad

18. Gockie

I know... small gripe but extra holding costs.... you could buy 4 decent houses in Adelaide for this price so you could think of it as nearly 4 extra days holding costs, that's 4 weeks of public transport.... a couple of good dinners out...

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd pay the $150 interest for the extra night and stop stressing. I would not even think about this aspect. I'd prefer to settle a day early than risk my solicitor stuffing things up, especially when you are already doubting his abilities.

Will paying an extra $150 matter in the big picture?

sash, Bran, Rugrat and 1 other person like this.
  20. Gockie

But thats why I chose Thursday over Friday in case of delay, I still... i'm also not happy that he only told my partner, not me... anyway, partner says solicitor said he has a scheduling problem.... might seem a small problem but I planned it this way for a reason. :(