Crypto Sold my house and put it all into bitcoin.

Discussion in 'Other Asset Classes' started by Laker, 7th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

Late 2019 sold my PPOR and put all the money into bitcoin. Big risk I know, but I have no doubt in my mind bitcoin is going to be the best performing asset in the next 10 years. If been buying bitcoin since 2017 when the price was $7k. After the house was settled I bought the last lot at $12k. Let’s see how this plays out!

Last edited: 7th May, 2020
    Gmfren, codeninja, icic and 8 others like this.
  2. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

I'll bite... Care to elaborate on the below ?

" but I have no doubt in my mind bitcoin is going to be the best performing asset in the next 10 years."

3. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

Haha. I knew someone would! I have researched bitcoin back to front and been down the rabbit hole and back. IMO bitcoin is not going anywhere. It continues to strengthen and with the majority of bitcoin already in existence and supply cut in half roughly every 4 years it has no place to go but up. A lot of the older generation are kidding themselves if they think the young up and comers are going to follow the old ways. Bitcoin is the future and one of the greatest technological breakthroughs of our lifetime. The amount of money being spent on infrastructure makes me think I’m not alone in this thinking. For instance their are now satellites in orbit that allow you to run a bitcoin node without internet meaning no government can stop you!

4. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

I also have a small amount parked in an interest account with BlockFi earning 6% interest.

5. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Bit coin is a commodity it is currency. I think they are risky and havent had much gain for over 2 years, 7k to 12k is not that great in 3 years 70% Other commodities have performed better in the last year or 2. The technology it uses is cloud computing the revolutionary technology is the Cloud, the software that provides recurring revenue and the companies that provide components are more reliable and profitable. Companies I have been banging on about for years and had 1000% returns on ALU, XRO, APX . PME. Even in the last few weeks. DDR 44%, APT 400%,SHOP 30%, zoom 100%, last few days KGN 20%, BVS 13%, PPH 40%. I have backed SaaS and I dont see why cloud computing which facilitates efficient fast funding and data on demand wont continue to be the best performing stocks. I agree people who think the old ways of doing things using capital intensive business models are kidding themselves if they dont think profits will decline. Blows me away how people will look backwards and invest in companies using 100 year old methods and metrics, or even share price instead of the size of the pie.

spoon and Stoffo like this.
  6. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

I don’t think bitcoin has found its place in the commodity/currency space, it could be either.
    We’ll have to wait and see which perform better over the next few years! I think bitcoin you think stocks. Time will tell.

7. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Oh well cloud computing Twillo is up 40% overnight, still think it is much better than bitcoin and much more stable

8. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

You can’t just keep cherry picking 10 different stocks! IMO bitcoin has a lot more wealth to swallow than what the cloud computing space does. Let’s keep an eye on both of the next few years.

9. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Good luck with your gamble, hope it works out.

significance and Laker like this.
  10. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

Maybe pick the top couple you’re most bullish on and we’ll see how they perform against bitcoin.

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Not something I would personally do but doesn't mean you may not win big. Have to be prepared to lose it all as well IMHO.

"Never invest in a business you cannot understand" Warren Buffett

dabbler, Lisabonello, qak and 2 others like this.
  12. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

Thanks. It’s like betting in Winx in my opinion!

13. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

This reminds me of a friend I had years ago. He went on and on about this company, telling me how it was guaranteed, going to be a ten bagger in no time, how I’d be an idiot not to invest in it, etc. etc. He invested over $100k in it, his brother about the same, and I invested $5k, which was a lot to me at the time. Anyway, we all lost all our money.

Hope you have better luck.

14. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

Yeah I’m fully prepared. Chances of losing all are low though. Something big would need to happen to go to zero! There are over 2000 cryptocurrencies (99.9% are rubbish) and even the biggest proven scams still have not gone to zero!

15. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

Time will tell! should be an interesting journey anyhow.

16. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

Just to update my portfolio is currently up 55% with the latest price rise. I’m expecting a pull back at some stage after halving. If stocks end up crashing I expect an even greater pullback. I do have some cash on the sidelines waiting.

17. Michael.Knight

Michael.Knight Well-Known Member

Really?

You got guts man! As long as you're prepared to hold through the swings (-50% vs +1000%) I have a feeling you'll do really well.

Good stuff! Go hard or go home!!! Please keep us updated...

18. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

Yeah I know they’ll be wild swings, i can see another big drop on the horizon, but I’m not selling. I may sell a portion late next year, but majority are for 5yrs+ or just sold to fund living expenses.

19. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Wow, very risky.

I bought into the hype in late 2017, bought $10k mix of the top 10 crypto's, currently worth only $1k. I gambled only what I could afford to lose... and I been patiently waiting, hoping to just get my money back......so I sure hope you are right.

Have you considered taking your original investment off the table, just keeping your 50% profit invested..... turning it into a risk free play.....?

dabbler, BunnyXiao and Laker like this.
  20. eggnog

eggnog Well-Known Member

I'm with you mate. Sold a house nearly a year ago and put most into bitcoin.
    I see it as a great hedge and diversification play. Case in point - equities market has crashed due to the fall out of coronavirus but btc has carried my portfolio and am up 20% total.
    Everybody has an opinion on btc and the majority are negative. 99% do not understand it so I consider their views irrelevant. For those that do understand it the majority are actually bullish on the tech.
    Time will tell of course. I personally believe in the tech and have put my money where my mouth is by investing a huge percentage chunk of the portfolio into btc.

Laker and Michael.Knight like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.