Solar Panels

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by MTR, 7th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Very good, let us know how you go.
    Was it a straight forward install?

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Will all happen in 4 weeks, Infinite Energy stood out from the rest.

Most want to baffle you with BS.

MTR:)

Azazel and EN710 like this.
  4. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Who else did you talk to @MTR

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

RW
    will pm you:)

EN710 likes this.
  6. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Terry_w and Tyler Durden like this.
  7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I haven't looked into it and not ready for solar but the things you can diy with solar and batteries is pretty cool. If you know what your using and plan to stay for a while I'd be seriously considering diy'ing.

Caravans run a lot off a few panels and batteries... But it can't be done for houseso_O (tin foil hat at the ready). And those hey nomads have some big freakin setups

Running 12v led lights and a battery bank can sort your lighting, some n70 truck batteries or proper UPS batteries they use in commercial/industrial (when power goes out to shops they magically run lights by battery, before generators kick in)
    An efficient and appropriate sized fridge can be run to via inverter. Same for other devices on a separate circuit.
    Cooking, heating and hot water go for gas
    Cooling is tricky but doable (more batteries)

This is very rough thinking but diy'ing isn't bad

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Interesting.
    Will be good to hear the non BS story ;)

EN710 and MTR like this.
  9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

On extolling the virtues of alternative energy, I wonder if the sales guys drive a prius or other such hybrid cars ;)

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Probably one of those nice low emission VW diesels.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Installed yesterday Infinite Energy, I think Australia wide.
    Excellent service, excellent price. These guys know what they are doing and no BS, I tested them:)
    Make sure you get top of the range inverter

Redwing, Purple Patch and EN710 like this.
  12. r3ckless

r3ckless Well-Known Member

@MTR how has the units from Infinite Energy been going for u?

how are the cost savings too?

im looking at getting solar at the new home!

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

very happy with current set up and service
    Will review after summer but I estimate around 40% savings

Mtr:)

Perthguy, r3ckless, Redwing and 2 others like this.
  14. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I'm currently waiting for onesolar sales rep working out the costs benefits for us as I type. I'm in Sydney. He explained differences between tiers 1, 2 and 3.

Perthguy likes this.
  15. random

random Well-Known Member

On ya MTR , way to go.
    l dunno what they're paying in other countries for power now compared but in Australia it'd be a damn joke if it was hurting so many people.
    And 800 every 2mth, holy hell , they can shove that where the sun don't shine it's insanity.
    And yet it falls out of the sky for free once your set up, l mean wtf ! No need for anyone to pay that bs for it in Australia.

l've built four myself , wouldn't suit you , a bit like the stuff Shovel was talking about, one setup is on my cabin too. Love it, only way to go.

Can't wait to set this house l've just bought up next but l wanna do a stand alone setup myself . No grid or power companies .
    Funny thing though , although this house is pretty big for the first time in my life l discovered it gets ripper power bills.
    At first it looked as insane as all the others but it turns out they made a mistake and the last one was only 230 even with electric hw.
    Smallest bill l've ever had so given tight finances right now at least l'm not forced to rush .
    That's still my rates every year though wasted on power l can get fro free so l still can't wait non the less.

16. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I don't know how I missed this thread for over a year. This is something that I deal with for work on a day to day basis (as a consumer, not an installer, so I like to use conservative figures).
    As I posted in a previous thread: If you're an investor and you don't have solar, you're doing it wrong!

There are very few safe investment vehicles that will give you a return as high as solar does. Where else can you get an ROI of well over 20% that's increasing year on year?

While there are obviously a lot of variables such as location, occupancy, tariffs, etc, solar in a good sunny spot will have a payback of around four years.
    I had a 5kW solar system installed less than three years ago and have since produced around 15 MWh. Had I used all of that electricity myself, I would have saved around $4,200, or 81% of the purchase price.

These financials only improve if you can borrow the funds for solar, your initial outlay is nothing then and you're paying less than 5% and getting more than 20% back, so your ROI is

Even more extreme is changing out downlights for LEDs. When I moved into my PPOR, I had 54 50W downlights, that's 2.7kW for lights alone, if they're all on! I replaced those with 10W LEDs and they've paid for themselves in less than three years.

If there was some incentive for me as a property investor, I'd be putting solar and LEDs in all my IPs! (Currently I have one IP with solar).

bob shovel and Westminster like this.
  17. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

A caveat about LEDs. Don't get the permanent ones in an IP. Get a standard light fitting and put in LED globes.

After the third time a permanently installed LED failed in two years where I had to call an electrician to replace, I changed over the light fittings so that the tenant can replace from now on.

18. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Strange.
    Did you buy cheap and nasty? None of my 54 LEDs have had any issues. I got these ones (in chrome, for $25.50 a piece).

I'd definitely recommend a whole kit over just the luminaire.

At work we've replaced around 10,000 fluoros with LEDs (mainly Philips) and we haven't had more than a handful of failures, certainly way less than we would have had with fluoros!

19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

They were integrated lights, not removable fluoro type lights. It wasn't possible just to replace just the light. Project Lighting, about $25 each. A few were replaced under warranty but that didn't cover electrician.

20. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

If the downlights were set up as 'pluggable', ie bulb integrated with transformer in a single housing, then no electrician would be required. At each failure, there is no need for an electrician to check whether it is the transformer or the bulb that has failed or the hassle of wiring. Just replace the downlight unit for about $25 by unplugging/plugging, much like replacing a bulb.

wylie likes this.