Solar Panels Again

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 1st Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

And are panels interconnectable? ie if I have a 5KW system can I upgrade to 15 or do I have to replace with a 15?

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I believe you can add

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  3. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Depends on the pane rating, we've got 31 panels.

4. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Check any Australian Standards which may apply regarding cabling and such.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  5. Propagate

You realize there's a huge difference between wild animals and farmed animals?

Cows aren't sitting around in the fields waiting for the resident bull to have it's way with them, they're bread by us as and when the farmer (and consumer) demand.

No demand, no wild oats for Mr. Bull (or in most cases no huge insemination syringe for Mrs. Cow).

Phar Lap and Lizzie like this.
  6. Dan Donoghue

So you are saying they no longer get eaten but still maintained in a farm by a farmer who will stop them from breeding? What is the incentive for the farmer to do this, I mean he won't make any money from the produce.

The second they are set free and left alone, Mr Bull will be having his way with his harem.

7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Apologies @Dan Donoghue I should have clarified it better. Say you presently have 250w panels installed. Are they still available or are compatible ones around? If not, then attempting to install 300w panels alongside may not be workable.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  8. Propagate

I give up.

No one sets them free.

The world will not go vegan over night in one go.

Animals are bread to cater for demand, as demand declines, less farm animals are bread into existence in the first place.

If a farmer is currently breeding 100 head herd to cater for demand, why would he suddenly breed 200?

Conversely, as demand drops and he's not selling all his (or hers) cows then next season farmer breads fewer cows, and fewer the year after etc etc.

By the time no one is eating cows no more have been bread into existence.

There is no resulting herd to look after or needlessly slaughter to get rid of, or left to get up to their own devices, they just weren't bread in the first place.

(and when I say farmer, read CAFO agricultural cow factory)

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  9. Dan Donoghue

Right, now I understand what you are saying, a gradual decline in consumption.

So now I completely see your point but I will still continue along my path of eating meat :).

Propagate likes this.
  10. Dan Donoghue

That makes sense, thanks I will look into it more.

11. Propagate

I haven't got a full month data of export yet, but I do have our first full month generation report.

Ours went live end of October but didnlt get grid connected inil 8th November.

So, for the whole of November we generated 1398.77 Kw
    For the period 8th November to 30th November we exported 781 Kw

Generation between 1-8 Nov was wasted, had no where to go if we didn't use it.

Be interesting to see what our Bill is and what December, being the first full month for export, will show.

Hasn't been a great weather month round our way, but on sunny days we've tipped just passed 70Kw of generation for the day.

18th Nov - current daily record - 71.87 Kw
    2nd Nov - lowest day of the month at only 11.98 Kw generated

My mate has a 10.2kw system split over west & north (all ours are north), his best day got just over 80 Kw

EDIT TO FIX total - Noveber total was actually 1398.77

12. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

In general, no, I don't think you're a troll. On this occasion however I think you might be. If you can grow enough grains to feed your population three times over (and that's excluding grains grown for human consumption), then obviously you could grow enough other crops to feed 100% of your population, if you didn't like eating grains.

Lizzie likes this.
  13. spludgey

You can add other panels. Depending on how you connect them though, you may be reducing the output of the new panels. So if you add 275W panels to a string with 250W panels in series, you may be current limiting them to work as 250W panels.
    No big issue though. It's what I'm planning to do for one of my systems (I've got two on my ppor).
    As long as you make sure that both current and voltage specs are the same or above the existing panels, you'll be fine.

14. spludgey

It's hypocritical in that one of the reasons that I'm vegetarian is animal welfare.
    But then not feeding cats meat would be hypocritical for the very same reason!

Propagate and Kelvin Cunnington like this.
  15. Dan Donoghue

Well I can tell you with 100% certainty you are wrong about that but I guess it's a moot point now as we have pretty much done the topic to it's death.

16. spludgey

Agreed!

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  17. hdb

hdb Active Member

We don't need any more land under cultivation - as has been stated several times, there is already far more food being grown than is required to feed every human on the planet.

There is however a diminishing amount of habitat for wildlife and corridors over which they can travel between seasonal areas and food sources. The same goes for water - we have already captured (and wasted) far more water than is needed *if* the right crop choices and irrigation methods are applied - growing rice in an arid land and throwing gigalitres on it just because the water is cheap is irresponsible.

Lizzie, Propagate and spludgey like this.
  18. Kelvin Cunnington

Kelvin Cunnington Well-Known Member

my reason for suggesting the move to vaste uninhabitable areas was in response to the statement made about the rainforests being cut back to create more farmland. Cutting back forests is not a good move, but cultivating desert-type areas would not impact on forests.

the cost of the water was not part of my vision. Yes, it is cheap, but the point is about the wastage - where we currently see many hundreds of farmers across our Country struggling to survive due to lack of access to water, and many arguments about accessing current river systems which affect other existing rivers and waterways.
    We live in a drought-prone Country; has been this way for millions of years, and we now have the tools to provide necessary water - and cheaply - to our Primary producers.

19. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

This thread is about solar panels - not about the environment. Please keep on topic.

20. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Sorry but have to comment, I find it a little bit funny when I see your tag of ‘propagate’ talking about artificial insemination. :D

Ps it’s bred not bread (that’s from the bakery).

Sorry I know it’s a serious topic but it gave me a little smile.

Propagate likes this.